The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1999 Grand Voyager 3.0L 85,000 miles

Just wonder how many miles should I replace Water Pump + Timing Belt?
How much does it cost??

Many thanks.

:ask_wsign

·
Registered
40 Posts
Never thought about changing them before they failed. I have a 99 T&C with 140,000+ miles with original belt and pump.

·
Registered
918 Posts
I think around 100K is recomended for the belt at least . You may get a lot more but you may end up stranded if the belt breaks . As clint Eastwood would say "are you feeling lucky" ?

·
5000 Club
5,707 Posts
The bad news - every 60K miles for the 3.0 timing belt. The good news - the 3.0 is a non-interference engine meaning the valve train won't eat itself if the belt breaks. Vipergg is right. Getting stranded sucks. Change the belt.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I think around 100K is recomended for the belt at least . You may get a lot more but you may end up stranded if the belt breaks . As clint Eastwood would say "are you feeling lucky" ?
Watch out on this advice, as no mechanic will recommend this for ANY rubber belt.

80,000 should be a good time. Look at it with a light and inspect for cracking/chaffing/fraying, etc. You DONT run a car until the belt breaks!

Water pump is a different story.....usually gives one plenty of warning when it starts to leak, usually slowly, allowing time for planning.......

·
Registered
120 Posts
Agreed with what all have said thus far -- timing belts rarely fail in your driveway. :biggrin: Just had the timing belt replaced in my 2.2 turbo, as a matter of fact -- 8 years and about 35K miles.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
9 years is pushing it, in my opinion. Mileage takes its tool, but so does time. Much of the material that belt is made out of is rubber, and rubber deteriorates over time.

Make sure you replace both the belt and the tensioner. If the tensioner fails, you will be just as stranded as you would be if the belt had failed.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just did the timing belt in my 2000 Plymouth Voyager (3.0L) at 130K miles, which is really pushing it. There weren't any teeth missing and the belt looked otherwise fine, but at that point, it's just not worth pushing it.

Figure that it'll take a day to do the job if you do it yourself.

The most important thing to know is that to get the serpentine belt back on, put over everything except the tensioner and the alternator. Then use a 15mm wrench to pull down (toward the front of the car) on the tensioner, which give you the space to put the belt back on.

My initial cost for parts was about $105, for the belt, pump, and the timing belt tensioner. Given the cost of a decent aftermarket water pump, and the amount of time it takes to get everything apart, there's no good reason to not replace them at the same time. I spent another 30 or so on a couple additional water pump gaskets, more coolant, replacement bolts (I managed to stretch a couple of the existing ones), etc.

·
Registered
33 Posts
timing belt for 3.0

I would second the motion for changing the timing belt and waterpump prior to failure. It is good preventive maintenance.

Did this job not long ago on the 92 caravan, a bit of a pain but do-able for the weekend mechanic. Here is the write-up link on the forum.

http://forum.chryslerminivan.net/showthread.php?t=7306&highlight=mitsubishi+3.0+timing+belt

Of course this is also a good time to do a bunch of other stuff on the 3.0 OHC mitsubishi motor. I also would recommend changing the PCV valve, will help keep crankcase pressures down and cut down on oil leaks.

Best of luck, email or PM me if you have questions.

JD:ninja:

·
Registered
701 Posts
Yup...Just did mine weeks ago. 120,000m or so.....again, it gives one plenty of warning time with the slow drips initially.

·
Registered
33 Posts
mitsubishi 3.0

good idea to clean up this motor, esp. after > 150K miles. Did wonders for our 92 caravan, less oil leaks and better performance.

JD

·
Registered
8 Posts
OK, I'm confused by this post. Reading it, it sounds like some of you are talking about the timing belt, and others are talking about the belt for the accessories. I was always under the impression that the 3.0L had a chain for the cam timing. (I could be wrong) Can someone please confirm this?

·
5000 Club
5,707 Posts
OK, I'm confused by this post. Reading it, it sounds like some of you are talking about the timing belt, and others are talking about the belt for the accessories. I was always under the impression that the 3.0L had a chain for the cam timing. (I could be wrong) Can someone please confirm this?

The 3.3 and 3.8 ltr engines use a timing chain that should be good for the life of the engine. The 3.0 ltr engine uses a timing belt that should be changed every 60,000 miles.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Here's a related question: Does the Grand Voyager have an interference or non-inferfence engine? That is, if the timing belt goes, will the pistons and valves crash into each other?

Thanks,
Steve
99 Grand Voyager on original belt with 142k miles

·
Registered
7 Posts
WHOA - did you say the 3.3 engine uses a timing chain that does NOT need to be replaced, ever? YEE-HA! That's what I have in my '99. Any other issues surrounding it that I need to look after?

·
Latent car nut
8,888 Posts
WHOA - did you say the 3.3 engine uses a timing chain that does NOT need to be replaced, ever? YEE-HA! That's what I have in my '99. Any other issues surrounding it that I need to look after?
Correct, the 3.3 and its nearly identical twin the 3.8 use a timing chain that should easily last the life of the engine.

As for other issues that are fairly common on your vintage of van:
  • Front strut tower rust
  • Corrosion of the brake lines by the firewall
  • Corrosion of the rear heat lines
  • Power window regulators

·
Registered
7 Posts
Oh yes I have experienced many of these:

- Had all the rear brake lines replaced recently due to a small leak and serious rust everywhere else. (jealous of the Toyota in the next bay with rubber-coated brake lines).

- Fixed a rear heat line by replacing about 6" of metal with hose. (the dealer wanted to replace the whole pipe that wound through the engine at great expense

-so far so good on the other items.

As for other issues that are fairly common on your vintage of van:
  • Front strut tower rust
  • Corrosion of the brake lines by the firewall
  • Corrosion of the rear heat lines
  • Power window regulators

·
Banned
56 Posts
imho i think some of u are worry warts cuz my 3.0 has 190k an never changed the belt or waterpump i seen some waterpumps fail at like 120k but all they did was leak so i see changin belt w/waterpump. i know a taxi service and they have a bunch of gen 3 vans w. over 200k and they have some that never had a belt or pump so i guess if u are a fan nut then u should replace ur belt and pump every 50k just to be safe how much does it cost well thers a lot of online parts store sites liek the zone, napa nd such so if u can use a puter u shuld be able to figger that ou

1 - 20 of 28 Posts