The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

101 - 120 of 155 Posts

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
So, after reading jee34's thread about "The Caravan rust problem" http://forum.chryslerminivan.net/showthread.php/47073-The-Caravan-rust-problem, and how he's saying that the rust is getting into the rockers via under the carpeting, which I don't believe is where the water is getting in from, even though he showed pics of how bad his is. So I decided to take some pics of the condition of my rockers and everything else. The van just turned 189,000 kms earlier today and has never been rustproofed in its entire life and I live in the rust belt.
At least in my van there is what appears to be a large cable that goes through the floor just left of the brake pedal on the floor pan. This cable goes through a good sized rubber seal. Mine was somewhat dislodged. There was evidence of water that had come in there. I suppose it could make its way over into the rocker panel. Regardless of the cause of the damage, or source of the water, I applaud jee34 for taking on such a large project and saving another one of these minivans. Good work jee34!

04, yours does seem to be in good shape for its age and no rust protection. Guess you got one of the good ones from the factory!

·
20 year old enthusiast
10,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
Another good place to spray Rust check is in here:

If you have your CHSML out , spray rust check in there cause that's what I did

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Another good place to spray Rust check is in here:

If you have your CHSML out , spray rust check in there cause that's what I did
Cool. FYI it seems that Walmart Canada has RC Green on for $6.66 a can and it may be the regular price. Grabbed 3 cans yesterday. It may be a bit thick for that application, but I think it should work well, especially if you do it on a warmish day. Should creep well. The red stuff is still full price. Go figure.

·
20 year old enthusiast
10,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
Must be really snowy. Lots of salt to do so much damage.
Is it below 32° there?
BELOW 32 DEGREES CELSIUS? The last time we've had weather like that was late August- early September.

It's about 5 degrees Celsius here right now, dipping into the negatives overnight and we've had a few full days of negative temperatures. DUDE this is Toronto not California. Of course the road is covered in salt, of course we have snow here, rust is a major problem in 95% of Canada... Oh and FYI British Columbia does get a good amount of snow too, but only in specific areas. The region you live in doesn't get lots of snow, ever watched HIGHWAY THROUGH ****? It shows on discovery channel, and it shows the accidents happen and what they have to go through to keep the highway safe and open in BC. I call BS on cars in BC not having Rust. Only in some areas rust won't be in common, but the majority along with the rest of Canada it's common

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
BELOW 32 DEGREES CELSIUS? The last time we've had weather like that was late August- early September.

It's about 5 degrees Celsius here right now, dipping into the negatives overnight and we've had a few full days of negative temperatures. DUDE this is Toronto not California. Of course the road is covered in salt, of course we have snow here, rust is a major problem in 95% of Canada... Oh and FYI British Columbia does get a good amount of snow too, but only in specific areas. The region you live in doesn't get lots of snow, ever watched HIGHWAY THROUGH ****? It shows on discovery channel, and it shows the accidents happen and what they have to go through to keep the highway safe and open in BC. I call BS on cars in BC not having Rust. Only in some areas rust won't be in common, but the majority along with the rest of Canada it's common
My guess is he's referring to degrees Farhenheit seein' that he's from the US. 32 F = 0C.

·
20 year old enthusiast
10,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
My guess is he's referring to degrees Farhenheit seein' that he's from the US. 32 F = 0C.
I knew that, just wanted to act like DUMB/SMART ASS.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts

·
Super Moderator
22,555 Posts
Cool. FYI it seems that Walmart Canada has RC Green on for $6.66 a can and it may be the regular price. Grabbed 3 cans yesterday. It may be a bit thick for that application, but I think it should work well, especially if you do it on a warmish day. Should creep well. The red stuff is still full price. Go figure.
Canadian Tire has Rust Check on sale this week, 20% off.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts

·
20 year old enthusiast
10,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
Lets see what has been done in terms of rust protection so far...

Used up an entire of rust check coat and protect on each side of the vans rocker panels, still need more though. Also it is doing a great job repelling moisture from the van. Same goes for the doors.

Today what I did was spray some ATF+4 in some needed areas as well as dump an entire bottle of ATF+4 on the drivers side rocker panel, which still has foam in it. Went to the van an hour later to grab something, and to my dismay the garage was a bloody ATF+4 mess. Lucky me this was not the driveway and I had an old mop to clean it all up, luckily my mom isn't home :). Either way it seems like the ATF+4 is doing a great job in protecting the inside of the rockers but I may have dripping for a bit longer.

I'd do the passenger side with no foam but that would mean a bigger mess, I think I may have to throw the fluid in and go around the neighborhood so the fluid can slosh around better with less landing on the ground.

I wonder what tranny shops would say if I told them ATF+4 was leaking out of the rocker panels.

Van seems more than ready for the winter! A few more bottles of rust check and a wash of the van will make things even better.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Lets see what has been done in terms of rust protection so far...

Used up an entire of rust check coat and protect on each side of the vans rocker panels, still need more though. Also it is doing a great job repelling moisture from the van. Same goes for the doors.

Today what I did was spray some ATF+4 in some needed areas as well as dump an entire bottle of ATF+4 on the drivers side rocker panel, which still has foam in it. Went to the van an hour later to grab something, and to my dismay the garage was a bloody ATF+4 mess. Lucky me this was not the driveway and I had an old mop to clean it all up, luckily my mom isn't home :). Either way it seems like the ATF+4 is doing a great job in protecting the inside of the rockers but I may have dripping for a bit longer.

I'd do the passenger side with no foam but that would mean a bigger mess, I think I may have to throw the fluid in and go around the neighborhood so the fluid can slosh around better with less landing on the ground.

I wonder what tranny shops would say if I told them ATF+4 was leaking out of the rocker panels.

Van seems more than ready for the winter! A few more bottles of rust check and a wash of the van will make things even better.
Way to go, 04! Just make sure the environment police don't get you! A bit of ATF spilled from my rocker panels months ago on my driveway and it still beads up very high. It must be protecting the inside panels/rockers well.

·
20 year old enthusiast
10,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
Way to go, 04! Just make sure the environment police don't get you! A bit of ATF spilled from my rocker panels months ago on my driveway and it still beads up very high. It must be protecting the inside panels/rockers well.
Lol thanks!

So this morning my mom went to work with the van, and as she was driving the ATF+4 sloshed all over the place. So she parked the van, went to work and when she came back out she found the entire ground was covered in what she thought was coolant.

She came home and told me to come outside fast, she said we are in huge trouble as red coolant was leaking all over the driver side. She wiped some up at work and showed me. I asked her where it was leaking from and she said all across the drivers side of the van. I told her I threw rust protection stuff in the rockers, then she asked me whats the rockers? I told her its the metal stuff at the bottom of the van, she was like ok. She told me to tell her that if I know somethings gonna leak then tell me, as she freaked out thinking the van will overheat and die on her.... I also told her red fluid is tranny fluid while green fluid is coolant in case this happens again.

Lol that was some afternoon...

·
20 year old enthusiast
10,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #114
Well I dumped some more ATF+4 into the rockers the other day and the van is doing well so far this winter.

The hood is rusted and I didn't notice until recently:

Time to look for a new hood!

·
20 year old enthusiast
10,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #115
So i'm just about to buy a 3 gallon compressor that's on sale at CTC. I'm now interested in a spray so it'd make my life easier when rustproofing. Got any good options? Now that I got more time I'll be going full out on pulling out the foam even though my rockers are in excellent condition.

·
Super Moderator
22,555 Posts
3 gallon doesn't provide much capacity for spraying. They have their 8 gallon compressors on sale from time to time. I have one and get by with it. I also have a 2 gallon compressor, mostly used for tires.

·
20 year old enthusiast
10,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #117
Rustproofed the van today. Got as much spots as I can get and most of the underbody is sprayed now. I even got the exhaust lol. I got the exhaust real hot and had a smoke and smell show with the rustproofing burning off. I expect the same thing to happen on the next drive.

Lots of rust check and a couple bottles of fluid film. Hit up the bottom of the doors and everything as well, fluid filmed the rocker panels real nice...Now the van is dripping rust proofing lol. Just got to ATF+4 inside the rocker panels, but got to wait for a long drive to slosh it all over the place.

Didn't spray anything under the hood because I like a nice dirt free engine bay and I need a new hood soon lol. All that's left is under the spare tire, but I want to wait until after I do what I got to do with the spare tire to spray under it.

Now I'm all ready and set for the winter.

·
Registered
133 Posts
LOL..im goning to fill up my rusted rockers with Great Stuff Foam. then Bondo over that to make it look like I have metal there, spay paint over it. Just a temp fix for inspection that will buy me some time. I will do this in May! lol a 5 min job~

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
i also have rusty rockers (no surprise to us northerners)

Been thinking about permanent repairs and this though entered my mind.

Why not cut rusted rockers out roll the lip under leaving a 90 angle rocker ,clean out the

foam and even put a layer of fiberglass cloth ,bedliner etc rock guard or what ever

you use, paint then bolt on a set of truck steps or a nerf bar out of exhaust pipe.

One would never use the step and it would it would be different but you would not have to do it again.

·
Super Moderator
22,555 Posts
So i'm just about to buy a 3 gallon compressor that's on sale at CTC. I'm now interested in a spray so it'd make my life easier when rustproofing. Got any good options? Now that I got more time I'll be going full out on pulling out the foam even though my rockers are in excellent condition.
Canadian Tire have a short sale on an 8 gallon compressor like mine.

101 - 120 of 155 Posts