The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2015 Touring L with 125K miles.

August of last year dealer performed recommended services of "tune up", "fuel injection service", and "transmission service". I only mention this because I'm sure I'll get asked.

A few months after this service(coincidence or not) the van started to develop what seemed to be a hard shift with the tranny as well as a sporadic shudder like it's trying to decide which gear to be in. It does not happen every single time it's driven, but most. It seems that these symptoms occur the most between 40-50mph under acceleration, but have happened at all ranges. The shuddering feels like your driving over the rumble strips on the side of the road. This shuddering will stop if you let off the gas or press harder. We have the Liftetime Maxcare warranty so we took it into the dealership. They said no faults on the scan tool. They updated the PCM with latest software and reset the variable line pressure and performed a quick learn. They told us to drive it for 1500 miles in an attempt to "work itself out". This did not work. We took it back after the 1500 miles and again no faults on scan therefore Chrysler will not pay them to do anything more without a fault code/leak/broken part etc... Everyone seems to suspect the tranny but they obviously don't know. I've read a ton of posts on here about transmission issues and shuddering, but the symptoms were either different not to apply or the solution never got posted? So as the title says, help me help dealership 馃檮?!?

Thanks in advance

Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
No mention of a fluid and filter change having been done. Start there.

--UNKNOWN MEMBER--

August of last year dealer performed recommended services of "tune up", "fuel injection service", and "transmission service". I only mention this because I'm sure I'll get asked.

A few months after this service(coincidence or not) the van started to develop what seemed to be a hard shift with the tranny as well as a sporadic shudder like it's trying to decide which gear to be in. It does not happen every single time it's driven, but most. It seems that these symptoms occur the most between 40-50mph under acceleration, but have happened at all ranges. The shuddering feels like your driving over the rumble strips on the side of the road. This shuddering will stop if you let off the gas or press harder. We have the Liftetime Maxcare warranty so we took it into the dealership. They said no faults on the scan tool. They updated the PCM with latest software and reset the variable line pressure and performed a quick learn. They told us to drive it for 1500 miles in an attempt to "work itself out". This did not work. We took it back after the 1500 miles and again no faults on scan therefore Chrysler will not pay them to do anything more without a fault code/leak/broken part etc... Everyone seems to suspect the tranny but they obviously don't know. I've read a ton of posts on here about transmission issues and shuddering, but the symptoms were either different not to apply or the solution never got posted? So as the title says, help me help dealership 馃檮?!?

Thanks in advance

Welcome,

This is the exact reason I never change ATF.

But you should follow manufacturer's recommendations.

Wish I could help but, probably no one can, other than recommend another ATF change on another dealer, in case the first one used the wrong fluid.

Good luck.

--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
No mention of a fluid and filter change having been done. Start there.
I would assume ATF and filter were changed:

Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
Must be reading too fast. :p Completely missed that.

In that case, they should have checked the transmission fluid level, but maybe they didn't. Alignment can also cause shuddering during shifts.

Reactions: LEVY

Super Moderator

A few months after this service(coincidence or not) the van started to develop what seemed to be a hard shift with the tranny as well as a sporadic shudder like it's trying to decide which gear to be in. It does not happen every single time it's driven, but most. It seems that these symptoms occur the most between 40-50mph under acceleration, but have happened at all ranges.
So as the title says, help me help dealership 馃檮?!?
One suggestion might be for the Dealership to follow the Owner's Manual rather than their own "recommended" service. You likely got your share of flushes that Chrysler says aren't recommended or desirable.

I assume your transmission service was a flush, using flushing chemicals, rather than a simple pan drop and filter change.

"Tune up" = what?
"Fuel injection service" = what?
Where are these mentioned in the Owner's Manual? Why the early transmission service? Were you having problems? using the vehicle for towing?
Change automatic transmission fluid and filter if using your vehicle for any of the following: police, taxi, fleet, or frequent trailer towing.
Owner's Manual Maintenance Schedule - Page 668: http://www.fcacanada.ca/owners/en/manuals/2015/2015E-Grand_Caravan-OM-3rd.pdf

Changing the transmission fluid now may be a good idea. Sounds like they messed up or your transmission is still adjusting to the new fluid.

40 to 50 mph sounds torque converter lockup/shift point related, can't make up its mind. Are you using ECON mode?

Registered
The dealership is there to help you - not for you to help them !! Are they going to pay you ?? ....
Tell the service manager that you will take the case to the next level (District Service Manager) - ask the service manager to set up an appointment for you with DSM.

Registered
2019 DGCGT flex fuel, 15K miles.
Possibly start a "conversation" with ChryslerCares? They seem to be helpful!

Registered
Looks overffilled. According to the paperwork 9 qts were used. I might be wrong but with filter normal is 5 to 6 qts which would explain the shifting issue. Need to check fluid level.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So I went out and tried to record the shuddering in an attempt to get more ideas.
Video #1 shuddering is at the 3-5 second mark:
Video #2 3-5 second mark:
Video #3 9-11 second mark:

Registered
2019 DGCGT flex fuel, 15K miles.
I can only hear the shudder in video #1. It sounds BAD to my untrained ear.
What have you done to the vehicle in the last two months?

Registered
I had a similar shudder for a while on the 2-3 upshift (3rd gear engaged) before the transmission went out. There were no codes. However, I was able to see that there was a problem with the 3rd gear by using a scan tool (DiagGun in my case) to engage the third gear with the car stationary. I was also able to confirm that the van was slipping in the third gear by engaging the third gear and applying slight gas while holding brake (input speed > 0 while output speed =0). I was further able to confirm that the issue was in the tranny portion and not the compounder as the transfer speed stayed at 0 with input being >0.

In my case I had about 1000 miles of driving before I lost 3rd and 6th gears. In my case the issue was 2-4 clutch -- was completely smoked.
It is hard to tell -- but to me it looks like the shudder is occuring before 5th gear engages.

There are many tests the dealership can do with their diagnostic scanner aside from reading codes. If there are interested in troubleshooting this further, they would need to ride along with the scanner when the issue occurs. They would be able to see if there are any issues with the line pressure, torque converter slip (if it is locked up at that point), etc...

Hope this helps.

Registered
Looks like ATF +4 was used -- but I cannot understand the reason for 9qts -- in my experience when I drop the pan it takes about 5-5.5 quarts to get it to full. The capacity of the transmission is 9qts, but you cannot get all of it out.

I suspect that they just bill for the max capacity -- not the actual amount used. They also charged you for the full tube of RTV sealant (1992-2014 Mopar Cover Gasket 5010884AD | TascaParts.com) -- in my experience you can do 5-6 transmissions with one tube -- I doubt they discard it after every single use -- so I doubt that it is actually overfilled -- probably just a billing technique.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts