The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Les here. Just recently my van has had issues on cold start up. It has never done this before. It cranks and cranks then starts. It is fine when warm. The air filter is clean, I have changed plugs, EGR valve, upstream and downstream O2 sensors. Any help? Thnx.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Could be the TIPM Fuel relay. There is info all over the web on how to test for it. At first it will only cause issues in cold start but as it gets worse it may stall out as well.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
11,582 Posts
As far as I know, those guys are the ones who came up with this fix:

Read through this site so you know how to diagnose it.

If it is a 5 Gen minivan, no year or engine size is needed to diagnose your particular issue, but yes, always provide that info.

If it is an earlier 5 Gen., then coil pack check is in order.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thnx Levy. I checked out his site. I live in Canada so the exchange etc will make costs add up quickly. Does anyone know of a supplier in Canada. I know the dealership will hurt me bad for a TIPM fuel relay supply and install.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
That same site Levy posted has how to make a temporary bypass to test if it's the TIPM. I would do that first then decide how you want to fix it if it's that issue. I wouldn't assume it just yet.

·
Registered
2013 Chrysler Town and Country Touring
266 Posts
Out of curiosity could a faulty MAF sensor also cause this issue? I have read that fuel pump relay failure is an issue though.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Les here. I have contacted the dealership to see if they have part# CBWPR091AA-001, TIPM fuel relay bypass kit in stock. They don't have any in stock till May. Ther may be a recall coming for this issue.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Les, there was a recall for the Durango and you used to be and to order the kit for other vehicles. But Chrysler put a stop to that. You need to first verify this is your issue then look into the parts options. Have you tested for yet?

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
561 Posts
Once you've verified it is the fuel pump by jumping power to its fuse, you can follow the TSB for the Durango to put a replacement external relay in. I did this on my van about 2 years ago. All you need is a standard relay and holder.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I watched some of the Youtube videos for the fuel pump relay bypass. I believe Vertical Visions that Levy mentioned were the ones who posted the info. I hear the TIPM are difficult to find cheap, but cardone has a rebuild and return service for the TIPM for around $400 on Rockauto, though I have no idea how long that takes.

The bypass/test cable is available through Ebay from Vertical Visions for around $35 US, and it looked like they have them in stock.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
561 Posts
My way of looking at it is that a repaired TIPM will eventually burn out the new relay, so it's better to do the bypass so the relay can be replaced without hassle the next time you need to.
Right now I would only need 1 minute to swap my relay. If I had replaced the TIPM then I'd be waiting several days for a new one. I'd much rather putt to the side of the road, throw in a relay, and be gone than have to call a tow truck.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts