The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
More proof the end is near for the 5th gen Grand Caravan. On the Dodge website the following message appears. If you want one you better get one now.

Not available in all 50 states
2020 Grand Caravan and 2020 Journey model year not available in California, Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont and Washington.

·
Registered
2013 Chrysler Town and Country Touring
182 Posts
I read somewhere a number of months ago the Dodge Caravan was going away. It's a real shame, the Caravan changed automotive history and in my humble view is an automotive icon. Just sayin'.

I love my first gen Caravan and wouldn't be selling it if I had room to keep it.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I bought my 2014, because I thought they were going to cancel the Caravan, in 2015. Maybe this time it's true. But they are made in Windsor Ontario, not Belvidere, Illinois.

·
Registered
760 Posts
the end has been near for a long time, i thought they'd cancel it last year but it just keeps going

no one wants to buy things like the new voyager that doesn't even have stow-and-go or a high-end pacifica when they're a family on a budget

i only ever see retired couples driving around the pacifica, families buy the caravan and town and country

·
Registered
91 Posts
I will be looking at rhe Voyager LXI when they are for sale, I bet chrysler will offer full stow&go after the first year when they relize the customer demands it.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
11,014 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
I live near Windsor and have not heard that the GC was going away. I hope to see a good buddy tomorrow who works at the plant. I'll let you know

·
Registered
760 Posts
all they need to do is figure out a way to make a base model pacifica or voyager and get the MSRP sub 30,000

just don't strip away the BIG features everyone wants, like stow-and-go

the price savings between the base pacifica and base voyager is about a whole 1,000 dollars, why would anyone even bother with how much you lose? it also visibly looks MUCH cheaper, like a fleet vehicle

and even then again at this point, why wouldn't you just buy the caravan or town and country? the only difference for the average consumer is the ride feel and look of the vehicles

·
Registered
120 Posts
I thought I would never own a Grand Caravan as my family mostly drove GM as well I worked at Chevrolet dealership for 30 years so I knew of any problems. Daughter owned 2 Caravans one a 4 cyl. (Dog)and a V6 one I believe was 3.3. I drove the V6 one on a trip with daughter and grandbabies with only problem was fuel mileage. When my Vue needed new body computer as well as 130k I knew transmission would need replacement around 150k I did some looking and the Grand Caravan I own was listed lower than anything out there. I bought it and now understand why people like but not love them. Hard to explain unless you have one. Love the room, power etc. but some things are cheapest materials. Hopefully I will get many years out of it as it is the most versatile vehicle I have ever owned. I did check on parts prices which seem reasonable. If body holds up and I continue to only put 6k a year I will have around 40k when paid for. Got mine for 19k with 3300 miles. 14700 as of today on an 18.

·
Super Moderator
1,920 Posts
More proof the end is near for the 5th gen Grand Caravan. On the Dodge website the following message appears. If you want one you better get one now.

Not available in all 50 states
2020 Grand Caravan and 2020 Journey model year not available in California, Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont and Washington.
Interesting, those are all CARB states.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I remember the first time I saw a Caravan, that was in 1984. At the time I owned a short wheelbase 1975 Ford E150 with sliding door, custom interior, four inch drop floor, powered sliding door, transfer seat, and Golden Boy wheelchair lift. I loved that van and drove it until 1996.

At any rate I remember thinking in 1984 when I saw my first Caravan "Why would anyone want a mini van? It's too small, you can't haul anything in it."

In 2012 I bought a 1986 Dodge Caravan LE with Gullwing door, 9 inch drop floor, and unknown branded bifold ramp and I now understand. That van is amazing. Oh sure, the ride sucks, and things have broken that I can no longer get parts to repair, but wow that van is so much fun to drive, especially in heavy city traffic.

the van is nimble, can haul small loads around without issue, has comfortable front seats, and is a joy to drive. Sure, it's not sporty or anything but a total hoot to drive. I so get it. It's completely understandable why the minivan destroyed the station wagon and full size family van markets.

I'm a total convert. A friend of mine thinks I've lost my mind and drank deeply from the Cool-Aide.

To be fair, I've rented half a dozen Caravans off and on since about 1995 but only short term, though all but one seemed like decent vans.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I emailed a friend last night who works at Windsor Assembly. They said the last GC will come down the line in May.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
I'm guessing the CARB states upped some requirement, and FCA aren't playing that game while they intend to wind the model down.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
11,014 Posts
I'm guessing the CARB states upped some requirement, and FCA aren't playing that game while they intend to wind the model down.
I'm guessing is the other way, government is asking those states to withdraw from the CARB, so chrysler is waiting for final results.

Let's wait and see.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Why would they stop selling in that set of states unless they no longer met the emissions requirements? The cost of validation wouldn't be worth it for a short window of time.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
11,014 Posts
I don't know, but so far whatever you say (or me) would be nothing more than speculations.

For a manufacturer, building special vehicles just for a few states cost money, they might be just getting ready to build one unit that can be sold on all states.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I saw a Youtube video last night stating that the Town and Country and Grand Caravan are done. According to the video Chrysler plans to release a no frills version of the Pacifica as the Plymouth Voyager, leaving the Chrysler Pacifica as the upscale version. Sort of like the Dodge Caravan/Chrysler Town and Country division.

I have no idea though how true any of this is since I've done no research at all.

I think the Pacifica is a nice looking van except for two things. I hate the rearmost side window shape and I hate the fact that the back of the van looks like a hatchback car. I know, I'm weird.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Hmm, looks like it'll be called the Chrysler Voyager. Now I'm really confused. Why call a Chrysler a Voyager? That doesn't sound like a very well thought out idea.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts