The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there supposed to be a glovebox light on an '05 T&C Touring? And another question, has anyone converted their interior lights to LED, any comments/useful info? I have the LED kit that I ordered from China but as it came with no instructions I'm going to do this the youtube/Internet way. :)

·
Registered
145 Posts
I just recently swapped my overhead console lights to LEDS. Absolutely love the brighter and whiter lights. I bought some on eBay they were the pc579 style, already in the bases. I don’t believe these were the exact ones, but these will give you the idea and mine were about this price for 2: PC579 LED

These are plug and play direct replacements. Just clean up the copper traces ( which probably got overheated by the incandescent bulbs) in the overhead sockets before installing them. LEDs need to have the polarity (?) correct, so if it doesn’t work at first, rotate the install position 180 to get it right.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
I have one passenger map light that is intermittent. Actually, it doesn't illuminate except a flash when pushed on but cannot get it to stay illuminated. Either by holding the lens or through the open door...

Is this what you repaired / converted Danno50? or did you replace the internal illumination for the EVIC?

·
Registered
145 Posts
FABRICGATOR, that sounds about right...Both of mine failed and hadn't worked for years...I finally got around to fixing them. It wasn't bulb failure it was the contacts/traces in the unit itself that the bulb twists into. Look on youtube for vids it's pretty easy to remove the console unit. I'm guessing those incandescent bulbs draw more power than those traces like to provide and mine were pitted up. I cleaned them with a little emery paper, or the like, and installed new LED bulbs. Good to go now. replacing the whole reflector unit is expensive and probably unneeded. Here's a quick pic of the new bulbs- compared to the soft white original lighting in the rear. (Yeah I know the van's a mess... it's winter here in new england- haha)

·
Registered
145 Posts
Is there supposed to be a glovebox light on an '05 T&C Touring? And another question, has anyone converted their interior lights to LED, any comments/useful info? I have the LED kit that I ordered from China but as it came with no instructions I'm going to do this the youtube/Internet way. :)
My 2005 Grand Caravan SXT does not have a glovebox light.

·
Registered
145 Posts
where did you get that flippin' awesome center console?
There are (or maybe now were) companies that pulled these new out of caravans to do conversions vans and they sell the consoles. I got it maybe 2 years ago. I love it and it’s much better storage than those nets between the seats.

·
3rd gen > all others
2,545 Posts
Is that the 5th gen premium console? It looks similar to one I bought at the junkyard from a 5th gen (to put in a friend's 5th gen base van).

Also, thanks for the info on the map lights. I need to do mine someday, before they melt anything.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts