The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Somehow removing my transmission to have it built has led to a much larger project.
I decided while it's down to have the transmission rebuilt would be a great time to fix a couple spots of body work that got done in a hurry last fall. That was great and would only require a quick respray from the side moldings down.
Then I noticed a small bubble above the molding and a couple other spots.

So I bit the bullet and decided to just repaint the whole van one last time.

Even doing the door jambs so they match

And I get the joy of fixing the rust around my windshield thanks to the morons who installed the windshield a few years ago.

Once it's ready, it'll be getting painted Destroyer Grey and Jet Black 2 tone.

·
Registered
41 Posts
That really is a sharp looking van. You will be happy you took the time to fix it right.
What paint are you using?

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That really is a sharp looking van. You will be happy you took the time to fix it right.
What paint are you using?
I'll be using TCP Global's single stage urethane from their Restoration Shop line.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I am going to jump to conclusions & assume you are the one that painted it before and now going over it again? I just really appreciate the work you have done on it and it looks sharp. It does give me ideas for my wife van. I have some basic body issues to work through. Door opened in the wind and bent a hinge ... I rolled the edge of the fender so did not rub .. I need to fix this ... typical bad paint in that era so it has been repainted, some spots are flaking off and needs touch up. Has some hail damage.
Nothing major but it needs attention ... now am thinking two tone.

Been painting my old dodge truck. First time ever painting a vehicle. Lot of work!
For it I like the idea of single stage paint. I have been using Rustoleum primer and the gloss black is from tractor supply. Probably better quality paint then what it came with originally. Easy to touch up, for a truck I love it.
For the wife car I probably should choose better paint :p

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have painted it twice already. Once was about 10 years ago.

I drove it like this for about 8 years before the rust started creeping back, so I fixed it and resprayed it 2 years ago.

Then thanks to all the liquid salt they started using, the rust began creeping back, so I cut everything out last fall and welded in all new steel, but was crunched for time, so it just got 1/2 assed body work done.

When I set into fixing that while it was laid up for the transmission, I decided to just do the whole thing one last time.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Yeah I understand the salt. My van was born in Seattle where it rains a lot, but no snow or salt on the roads.
Now it is in West Texas where we just dream about rain :ROFLMAO:
While I have mine up on blocks am trying to clean the dirt off the original paint underneath. I need to repaint the springs etc...
Just difficult for me to repaint the whole van at this time, but while it being worked on a good cleaning and detail work is being done. New struts, shocks, tires.
New fuel pump will be end of next week ... lets see what gets done between now & then.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah I understand the salt. My van was born in Seattle where it rains a lot, but no snow or salt on the roads.
Now it is in West Texas where we just dream about rain :ROFLMAO:
While I have mine up on blocks am trying to clean the dirt off the original paint underneath. I need to repaint the springs etc...
Just difficult for me to repaint the whole van at this time, but while it being worked on a good cleaning and detail work is being done. New struts, shocks, tires.
New fuel pump will be end of next week ... lets see what gets done between now & then.
Hopefully this will be the end of my work on it for quite some time.
The suspension was completely redone about 20k miles ago, with all new struts, springs, ball joints, tie rods, bushings, 2" lift, shocks, etc.
The brakes were redone at the same time with Stoptech rotors, Akebono pads, and Raybestos drums/shoes, along with new hoses and a couple new lines.
The engine is a 99 3.8L that was just rebuilt 15k ago.
I just went through the fuel system while it's laid up and also inspected the underside, cleaned and undercoated it.
So once the trans is done and the paint is on, getting the AC going again is the only thing left.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Transmission done and working beautifully.
Finished up the sanding/prepping and laid down a coat of gray sealer.

Now I'll scuff that out tomorrow morning and the painting will commence.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Really looking good. Looking forward to seeing the paint.
Still messing with mine, got the fuel pump replaced and happy someone here suggested the delphi ... it is quiet and can not here it run ... I think is quality. Maybe last more then 5 years this time?
New struts are aggravating. I think camber should be 1 degree positive? Passenger side is fine but drivers side is about 2 degree and out of slot to adjust .... I can remove and use my die grinder and create the slot needed for more adjustment ... is it worth it for 1 degree? Going to watch and see.

Think I found the transmission issue. It was rebuilt 25k miles ago. But been going through shift sensor .... Replaced it once and drove 3 years with no issues, replaced again twice and get a intermittent in and out of limp mode.
I found the main harness from computer to transmission was loose on the trans side. I put almost 3 turns on the bolt holding it. It was loose. "changing shift sensor wiggled main harness" Yet the heat shield and plastic cover is still loose enough to wiggle.
I am thinking my brother inlaw lost or installed a incorrect bolt and now the bolt is too long and bottoms out before tightening... Going to fix this.
Will pull the plug, clean it with electronics cleaner then slather it with dielectric grease and make sure it is tight when I install it.
Just tightening the plug have driven it over 15 hours with no problems, 1 trip was 5 hours on the freeway, another 3 hours on freeway.

Got the rear shocks today ... Dang it, I did not order gas ... thats what I got. Front struts are not gas ... see how well this works out.

I told my wife I was going to paint her caravan.
She said she would beat me with the biggest stick she can find if I painted her car.
So am spot repairing the paint ... Rustoleum white actually matches pretty good ... then satin black for the trim ... and not beat with a stick ;)

·
Registered
185 Posts
Man those look NICE!! Makes me ashamed to still own my rust-bucket the way it looks.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I was going to post a photo earlier. Not perfect, just using rattle can rustoleum white to touch up the paint ... need to paint lower valance under the bumper and also window trim with satin black.
While polishing the headlights.
Just good old cars and deserve to be saved.

0724211348.jpg

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So $300 worth of paint and a weekend worth of time, she's done.

Reactions: Westphal
1 - 12 of 12 Posts