The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So basically how hosed am I? Looks like this doesn't have a separate caliper bracket like the later years do, and the bottom bolt for the brake caliper is just spinning when I try to tighten it. Must have got it cross threaded like a dummy... Where do I go from here? Possible to re tap?

Thanks

·
3rd gen > all others
2,630 Posts
Not a lot of metal around it. You might get lucky drilling it out and putting in a helicoil or a timesert. Depending on how much room will allow, you might be able to put a longer bolt through it with a nut on the rotor side and tighten the caliper on with that one bolt first. Swing the whole caliper forward (if the brake line will allow) and install the inner brake pad, rotor, and outer brake pad. Finally, swing the caliper down over the assembled rotor/pads and install the upper caliper bolt. The piston should be fully compressed into the caliper when you do this.

If that won't work, you'll have to try drilling/helicoil or replace the whole knuckle. Be careful with used replacement knuckles, as the areas on the built-in pad sliders get notched over time. You either want to find a smooth one, or take the knuckle to a welder who can fill in the worn areas and grind them smooth.

The overkill option is to do a 3rd gen to 4th gen front brake/suspension swap. This really depends how good of condition your van is in, how much you like it, skill level and how long you want to keep it. I, and a few others have done this swap and loved the results. If you have a short van or a 4 cylinder van with the smaller front brakes, the brakes are probably sufficient and the swap would be more trouble than it's worth. I only mentioned it because the front knuckles are swapped out for that anyway (along with lower control arms, struts, outer tie rod ends, brake rotors, calipers, pads and hoses). I got half of my parts used at the junkyard so the swap was cheaper for me (did the swap myself). Stronger braking and thicker rotors that don't warp.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
11,079 Posts
So basically how hosed am I? Looks like this doesn't have a separate caliper bracket like the later years do, and the bottom bolt for the brake caliper is just spinning when I try to tighten it. Must have got it cross threaded like a dummy... Where do I go from here? Possible to re tap?

Thanks

Yeah, remove it and re-tap.
If you have to go one size bigger, so be it.

Are you sure is not just the bolt?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts