The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, new member here. You guys sure seem to know a lot about these crazy minivans...

I have searched the forums (and the web) but found no answer to my problem:

I have a 2001 Chrysler Town & Country LXi. I cleaned the battery terminals a few days ago and later, when I started the van, I noticed flashing lights on the radio - the little lights on the bass, mid, and treb control sliders flashed constantly and never shut off. The radio doesn't work, clock doesn't work, CD player doesn't work (4-CD player located below the radio).

I checked the fuses (OK) but I have no other idea. Anybody have any ideas about this one?

A found a comment on the web about possible radio security codes but I can't find a reference for that anywhere.

Thanks -

p.s. the radio is sales code RBB (am/fm w/ graphic equalizer, cassette, cd changer capability)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick reply. The '01 T&C uses a 15 amp fuse for the IOD (memory) fuse. I had checked that earlier (the fuse is good) and then pulled it and left it out for a while. When I put it back in, the flashing lights started up again with no change to the radio, i.e. it is still dead. :unsure:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Maybe try running a couple of grounds with a set of alligator clips. Run one from the battery to the body and check out the radio, and maybe one from the engine to the body. Couldn't hurt to try. Drew

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What do you mean when you say "run a couple of grounds"? I'm pretty much a newb at electrical.

I did find another site where people discussed this (they say the lights blink, I call it flashing, Google thinks that means 2 different things so it took me a while to find the discussions). In any case, they were disconnecting the negative side of the battery for 20 sec and that was working for them. That didn't work for me though. I have pulled the IDO fuse, the IGN/RDO fuse, and both battery terminals and every combination thereof.

·
Registered
29 Posts
If you have a set of jumper cables take the negative lead. Put one on the negative side of the battery and clamp the other end on a clean part of the body. do the same with a clean metal part of the engine. Engine to body.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
and then while I am doing that I should check to see if the radio is working? with the engine started or just by turning the key?

·
Registered
918 Posts
I have heard of them getting blown out when you disconnect the battery and then reconnect specially if it was not in the off position when the power is pulled , you may have to get it repaired or go aftermarket .

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have heard of them getting blown out when you disconnect the battery and then reconnect specially if it was not in the off position when the power is pulled , you may have to get it repaired or go aftermarket .
o_O That would be ugly. I am also dealing with a P0740 code (torque converter clutch control circuit) that the dealer says requires a tranny overhaul but they recommend a replacement. I am trying to figure out how to not spend $3,000 on that so I really hope to not replace the radio also. Thanks though.

·
Super Moderator
23,268 Posts
Weird things can happen when the battery is weak or acting up, as I have experienced, and others per recent Posts on this site. You mentioned doing some work on the battery prior to the problem appearing. Do you have another battery available or can you get a jump from another vehicle. If getting a jump, I would suggest disconnecting your positive terminal and hooking the red jumper cable directly to the red (+) cable on your vehicle. If concerned about the other vehicle (electrically), disconnect its positive cable and connect the jumper directly to the positive battery terminal. The negative terminals can be connected per usual. This will keep your battery out of the circuit and the other vehicle out of the circuit. Worth a try.
PS: If the battery is over 5 years old, it can be on its last legs.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I have tried most of these things with no success. I grounded the negative side of the battery to the engine and also to the frame. In both cases, the radio equalizer lights continue to flash or blink and the radio, clock, CD, etc. does not work. I installed a new battery (which was probably needed) but that didn't help anything at all.

I sure hope that vipergg isn't right because I don't want to replace the radio just because I cleaned the batery terminals.

Any other ideas? I can't be the only one to ever have a dead radio with flashing lights on the equalizer.

·
Super Moderator
23,268 Posts
Nothing to add from here. Do you have any friends at the Dealership who might be able to help you out? Nice to have them in your network. A Parts guy at a local Dealership seems to appreciate "something golf" at Christmas. I get trade prices and lots of help, including copies from manuals, from time to time.
Sorry, I can't be of help, but there has to be someone on this site who has had a similar problem, and a solution. Have you tried the Dodge forum?

·
Registered
4 Posts
typea61,

I am having the same issue in my 01 T&C. It seems to work ok when the van first starts and is cold. It will continue to work until you shut it off. It will then blink the lights and make a clicking sound. Most of the time the clock will then reset to 12:00.

I have been searching for answers on the internet and was hoping for help here also. On another forum, a few others experienced the same problem. They claimed that there is a flaw in the design of the air ducts just above the radio. In the summer when running the A/C, the ducts allow moisture to drip onto the radio. What we are experiencing is a short caused by condensation in the radio. When the radio gets warm, it causes the condensation to short out some circuits that have to do with turning the radio on.

Not sure about all of this, but I plan on removing the radio and seeing if I can find any evidence of this. Hope to do it this weekend unless it continues to stay as cold as it has been. I will update this site and let you know what I find.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Still nothing. I have scheduled to take the T&C to a garage this week and maybe I will get some direction. I will post back if I learn anything more.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
still no good answer...

I have taken this 2001 T&C back to the Chrysler garage since I can't figure this out. Basically the radio doesn't work but the lights on the radio equalizer blink and flash. They "checked it out" and told me the BCM wasn't getting any signal from the radio or the instrument cluster and that I need a new radio ($300), a new body control module ($625), and a new instrument cluster something ($285) plus installation labor for all of them.

I just dropped $2,500 for a remanufactured transmission at 135K miles so I really have no choice but do what they say. I can't even get the vehicle inspected with all the bad codes being thrown out by the BCM.

Any ideas on how to get out of this cheap?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello, I am new to this site.
I wanted to add to this discussion some of my findings. I too own a 2001 T&C with the same problem with the radio. The equalizer lights flash (or blink as some describe) as well as the speakers click to the beat of the flash. Although I did find another discussion on another website who changed out the radio with the same problem and reported the problem was solved. However, I could only find one person with a working solution so, it will be a consideration. This is my theory: As others have suggested to remove the IOD fuse for a bit and have done that but the same problem returns down the road.
The radio always seam to die after shutting off the car and restarting (whether right away or overnight or during a store trip) and it can stay running a couple of days or a couple of weeks. Now this is the part where you might laugh but it is very true...... I discovered this temporary solution purely by accident. Sometimes the radio works with the following knobs in the default position but while the lights on the radio are flashing, I have to turn the head light switch to either running lights (some call it the parking lights) or headlights on for night time driving (high beams don't effect the operation). and then, I have to take the dash lights off full brightness (which is from the 2nd dot down) only then will the radio turn on. Even that solution is flaky because that does not always work and sometimes I don't need to enable the lights (keeping them in the off or automatic position) but I do have to keep the console off full brightness which is a pain because i makes it challenging to see the radio display at night. Sometimes, the radio will just come on by itself after the car has been started but mostly within the the first 5 -10 mins. When all else fails, I have to pop the IOD fuse again and sometime I have to leave it out for 20 - 30 mins. For the reasons mentioned above, I am leaning toward the BCM (Body Control Module). I am going to trace some of the wires and will report what i find later. In the meatime, it would be nice if anyone would post their working solution.

Dan

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Hiya Dandy,

Welcome to the forum.

Have you checked the wiring and connectors under the IPM *(fuse box)? I didn't read through the whole 2008 story above to see if it had been suggested.

I have read about many electrical gremlins and avant garde suggestions for work arounds...
We had one guy hitting a certain railroad crossing at a certain speed range just to turn his headlights on... not just any crossing, it had to be the one at fifth and main.

Many times, we can find (and correct) corrosion or loose wiring under the IPM (Integrated Power module)
There are youtube videos and basically you release the IPM and disconnect all the connectors (no need to label them, they only go back one way) Look for loose wires, pins loose in the connectors, broken wires, and corrosion.

Please return and let us know what you find and how you eventually fix it, even if you bring it to an auto electrical shop or scrap her at the junker... Let us know the conclusion

And hang around a spell, answer a few questions or just stop in and say "Hi"

·
Registered
2 Posts
FabricGATOR: Sorry it’s taken so long to reply. Thank you for the reply BTW. I have been dealing with this issue for a couple of years now and it had been getting progressively worse.

I have combed through a number of forums with lots of suggestions such as yours but most lack the follow-up as to whether suggestions had or had not worked. There was one site that offered a viewer’s solution of changing the radio. Although I was considering that as a possible solution, I was waiting to see how many others would post the same solution therefore, hinting toward a trend. As I was exhibiting the problem more and more, given the kind of behavior, I was originally leaning toward the BCM (Body Control Module).

But before going that route, I thought I would check out used radio replacements and see what ebay.com had to offer. After viewing so many radios and discovering there were way too many variations, I thought I would get the model # off the top of the radio. Once I plugged in that number on the ebay search, it really narrowed it down and found the exact replacement for $25 including the shipping. It was now cheap enough for me to roll the dice and give it a try.

I am happy to report ............... PROBLEM SOLVED WITH A RADIO REPLACEMENT. This was the first time the radio has worked with the head light switch in the auto mode.

MUSIC TO MY EARS 🔈🔈🔈

1 - 19 of 19 Posts