The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wife claims fan blower isnt blowing as it used to. Sometimes it works great other times it speeds up and then slows down on it own. Is it the blower motor?

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
14,309 Posts
Wife claims fan blower isnt blowing as it used to. Sometimes it works great other times it speeds up and then slows down on it own. Is it the blower motor?
It could be a dirty cabin filter.

Check your cabin filter and replace it if dirty.

It should be behind the glove compartment.

If it blows full blast right after turning engine on, then slower down after a few minutes of driving, then more likely you have a dirty cabin filter.

Second possible cause would be low in refrigerant.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It could be a dirty cabin filter.

Check your cabin filter and replace it if dirty.

It should be behind the glove compartment.

If it blows full blast right after turning engine on, then slower down after a few minutes of driving, then more likely you have a dirty cabin filter.

Second possible cause would be low in refrigerant.
Thanks will check

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks will check
So I pulled cabin filter out and yes it was bad. Cleaned it out best I could and replaced it in. Wife drove and fan was working fine then fan quit and temperature gauge rose in the red? Did I do something wrong? She turned car off and called me and then turned car back on to head home, fan came back on and ran small amount of time then quit again and temperature rose again. AC was on during these episodes. Any thoughts

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
2,437 Posts
So the van overheated and then the A/C cut off? Sounds like over-temp protect mode. Does it overheat when not running the A/C?

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
14,309 Posts
Not related.

Remove radiator cap, start the engine and add coolant as needed.

If coolant level is ok, check radiator fan connector, sometimes it melts and radiator fan quit working.

If fan is ok, then thermostat is the suspect.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not related.

Remove radiator cap, start the engine and add coolant as needed.

If coolant level is ok, check radiator fan connector, sometimes it melts and radiator fan quit working.

If fan is ok, then thermostat is the suspect.
So heading to store to get new cabin air filter and antifreeze. Looks like antifreeze reservoir is pretty empty! Will add antifreeze and see what happens. Let the van cool down and it starts fine and blower was blowing again in the driveway. So maybe this all has to do with low antifreeze?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So the van overheated and then the A/C cut off? Sounds like over-temp protect mode. Does it overheat when not running the A/C?
Blower motor was acting funny today, so cleaned cabin air filter first and it was ugly. Wife took off after I put in air filter back in. She had AC on and blower was working fine, all the sudden blower motor stopped and temperature gauge went up. She turned the car off, once I told her to just come home she said she tried the blower motor again it came on and then eventually quit again, at that point the temperature gage went back up that’s when she turned everything off and came home.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
2,437 Posts
When the van overheats, it kills A/C because that's a load on the engine that will cause it to produce more heat. An empty coolant reservoir could very well mean you have a leak. Biggest offenders for coolant leaks are the heater Y pipes near the brake booster, then the thermostat, and then the coolant crossover. Most people experience those parts failing in that order.

Reactions: Tommy28

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you all. Will add antifreeze and new cabin air filter and sleep on it and see what happens in the morning when going to work:)

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
14,309 Posts
Thank you all. Will add antifreeze and new cabin air filter and sleep on it and see what happens in the morning when going to work:)
Make sure you add antifreeze into radiator first, then into recovery bottle.

Make sure you remove radiator cap, add coolant all the way to the top. Wait until engine warms up, then add more coolant as needed.

Re-attach radiator cap and add coolant into recovery bottle if needed.

Don't worry about "air pockets", no such thing, as long as thermostat opens system will bleed itself.

Don't worry about raising the front either, that's just an urban myth, it doesn't helps at all, not necessary either.

·
Registered
2009 GCV SE
1,222 Posts
The first question I have is, do you have manual temperature control or automatic temperature control?

The Auto temperature control will vary the fan speed according to how close the cabin temperature is to the selected temperature given the outside temperature, inside temperature, and also the sun intensity. So in auto mode if you turn towards the sun on a hot day, in auto mode the fan will speed up on its own.

Other members have mentioned above, when the engine temp rises past a certain point the system will cut AC as comfort is less important then a running engine, and ac adds more heat for the system to take care of.

I would check coolant levels like others have mentioned, I would also drive the van and see when and why these conditions happen.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
2,437 Posts
Levy is anti bleeder screw for some reason. Perhaps he over-tightened one and snapped it off and it scarred him for life. :p

There is a chance for air to get caught behind the thermostat. You would have to be fairly low on coolant for this to be an issue. If you have to poor more than half a gallon into the top of the radiator, you should open the bleeder on top of the thermostat until coolant comes out and then close it. This pushes out any air that may be trapped behind the thermostat.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
14,309 Posts
Levy is anti bleeder screw for some reason. Perhaps he over-tightened one and snapped it off and it scarred him for life. :p

There is a chance for air to get caught behind the thermostat. You would have to be fairly low on coolant for this to be an issue. If you have to poor more than half a gallon into the top of the radiator, you should open the bleeder on top of the thermostat until coolant comes out and then close it. This pushes out any air that may be trapped behind the thermostat.
No, I've never tried, not needed.

Thermostat is self bleed, you can ask here how many ever used that plug, probably you and one or two more unnecessarily did it.

Best thing to do is leave plastic plugs alone.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the feed back. Added a new cabin filter and as for the antifreeze? between radiator and overflow tank it took a full jug. Wife had no issues on drive to work this morning, fan worked fine and no spikes in temperature gauge. Still going to have system flushed and all lines checked by someone smarter then me:) but thanks again.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Lovely!!! So a mechanic fixes heater hoses as they were leaking, now he states it’s holding coolant but there’s some sort of leak internally that is sending hot air to the coolant which is still making van overheat! Any thoughts? He recommends not driving it to far!!!!

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
2,437 Posts
Sounds like how a very inexperienced mechanic would say "Your head gasket is F-ed".

Reactions: Michalb
1 - 19 of 19 Posts