The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Sorry, but we're talking about body rot, and not covering rust. Which is why I'm warning the OP, about the structural integrity of his van.

There's a Naval expression about 'urinating into the wind', but hey, someone has to say it.

·
Super Moderator
26,660 Posts
Sorry, but we're talking about body rot, and not covering rust. Which is why I'm warning the OP, about the structural integrity of his van.

There's a Naval expression about 'urinating into the wind', but hey, someone has to say it.
Isn't that "against the currents" for a submariner? :)

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
We are currently at 295K+ miles on our 01 DGC EX. I do all my own maintenance and rust repairs. Here is what I recommend from my experience.

1) Our fuel pump went out at 265K miles while I was driving on the expressway, in the rain, at 1 am in the morning. This was the only break down we have had.

2) We are on our third water pump. I change the water pump, inlet pipe and thermostat every coolant flush.

3) Check to see if you can lower your spare tire. The locking clamp will rust into place, preventing the tire from lowering. I bent locking clamp back so it wouldn't engage. Haven't had a problem since. (That was over 15 yrs. ago)

4) Check the power steering cooler hoses for hardness. (Located just behind the rack and pinion) I would only use OEM hoses because of the bends in the hose.

5) Check the transmission cooler, located between the radiator and ac condenser, to see if the pop rivets came lose. You'll know because it will be handing down. This can wear a hole in your radiator.

6) Change the power steering fluid reservoir. This will prevent starving the pump if the filter gets clogged.

7) Transmission filter/fluid change. Only use ATF+4 fluid.

·
Registered
1997 Chrysler Town & Country LXi AWD
148 Posts
Check the stamped date on the tires - it's the four digit number at the end of the long string that begins with DOT. The first two digits are the week and second are the year. If it has been 6 years or more since the date, replace them - they're ditch finders.

·
Registered
2005 Town & Country 251k miles
37 Posts
GS21,

I like to prioritize by things that can leave you stranded if they break.

Battery - if it's more than 4 years old I say replace it
Alternator - proactively pick up a used one from a junkyard
- and store it in the back of the van with needed tools
Drive Belt - if you cannot read the lettering on the belt replace it
Tensioner and Pulley - if you replace the Drive Belt do the Tensioner and Pulley too
Radiator Hoses - if they feel old (very hard) or damaged by oil (very soft) replace them
Brakes/Tires - replace if worn/old

Optional - Consider replacing all fluids
Oil & Filter change, ATF+4 drain and fill, turkey baster the power steering and brake reservoir

Rust, exhaust, struts, and other stuff will not leave you stranded.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts