The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey again everybody.
Had another issue today where I was driving along, van has been running great, going about 40MPH slowing down coming to a stop sign... engine cuts out.
Dead at the stop sign.
No warning light, no money CEL light.
Cranks, but won't restart.

Pushed it through the intersection, got it towed home.

Now, diagnosis time since I don't have an OBD1 system.

The engine cranks.
The oil pressure needle at the dash stays FLAT.
Even when this van had a dead ECU, cranking the engine would still cause the oil needle to rise.

I've read conflicting things on whether or not a bad oil pressure sensor will cause a Crank No Start condition.
Some sources say that a Bad Oil Pressure Sensor will NOT cause a Crank No Start, others say that YES a bad Sensor will cause a Crank No Start.

Seems logical to me that if the computer is not "seeing" oil pressure from that sensor it's going to prevent an Engine Start.

The fuel pump, cam and crank position sensors, ECU and ignition coil are all only 1 year old. I've basically made this van "new".

So the tow driver was AWESOME! (Thanks AAA) and had also had a Caravan van in the past, so he checked that the fuel pump primes and have pressure, but at crank have NO SPARK, thus No Start.

But I'd like input before I go buy a part, or better yet if anyone knows if that sensor is a Normally Open or Normally Closed so I can test continuity.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1994 Dodge Grand Caravan AWD green with silver lower side moldings and bumpers
68 Posts
I'd be surprised if the switch was normally closed but not really sure. Check it with an ohmmeter before cranking and then again after cranking. It should change to open or closed. If not, then maybe it is an oil pressure problem.

Remove the switch and crank it over to see if oil comes out. That will tell you if you have pressure or not.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update: I am a panicky moron.

Since this van is a OBD1 era car, and I don't have an OBD1 scanner, and basically no one will admit to owning a working OBD1 scanner, I tend to forget that feature.

So I did the key trick.
1 flash
1 flash
End Message
So a Code Eleven... which is a Cam and Crankshaft sensor Code.

I replaced both those sensors last year... needlessly, of course.
So I went to my Big Box 'O Parts, and retrieved the Factory Original sensors, and then I started with the easy sensor, the top of the engine Camshaft and got the old sensor back in.
You know what?
The car started right up.

So a part that's less than 1 year old failed... and the 25 year old part is fine.
Took the new, dead, part back to the auto parts store, they gave me a full refund.

All is well that ends well, I guess.

P.s. the oil sensor is fine.

Hope you all enjoyed this bit of comedy.

·
3rd gen > all others
2,545 Posts
Auto parts store sensor - 'nuff said. If it wasn't NAPA, then those things only last a year. Crank sensor will be next. Be sure to use the paper spacers when reinstalling the sensors.

Oil pressure switch won't matter. Van usually starts before there is much pressure (cold) anyway, proving it is not a safety feature. Besides, who would want the engine to suddenly cut out if the switch fails in traffic? That would be a safety issue all it's own, and the reason it's not a feature to potentially save the engine. Another thing about these vans (although maybe Chrysler fixed it with a computer update) is if the van goes into "limp mode" while at highway/freeway speed, it will shift down to second gear and possibly blow up the engine (has happened).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts