The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

easy way to drain gas tank?

12K views 29 replies 17 participants last post by  Sienile 
#1 ·
Hi everyone, due to covid, my van has been sitting for more than a year (with almost a full tank of gas).

I tried to siphon it out but I can't get the hose in.
Any easy way to drain the fuel tank?

Any good advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

#3 ·
The fact that it was full is good - less possible condensation.

I don't know that I would be concerned about it sitting for a year. Some vehicles sit on car lots for a year. What about these guys with antiques? Just add fuel additives?

A thin hose and a bit of time. Squeeze bulb suction pump. Transfer pump.

Reactions: Tudor
#5 ·
It is very, very unlikely the gas is bad enough to cause a problem. I inherited a car that hadn't run in 4 years, and it started easily (with a new battery) and ran fine.

If the tank was low and in a very humid place (like Florida) it might be a different story.

My DGC is parked with a full tank in my garage in FL since March 2020 and I'm not worried at all.

#6 ·
Thanks Everyone for the quick replies. I use the van for work and it has been a bad year(s) for me work wise. I took the insurance off and let it sit. I do start it once a week and drive it up and down my driveway once every two weeks. I thought I would use the gas from the Caravan in my car to get rid of it. I think 5 gallons at a time mixed with premium gasoline would be okay.

I never had any luck with fuel stabilizers in the past. I used to owns snowmobiles and atv's, the best thing for those it to drain the tank, however it's a bit different on the van.
My thoughts were to drain as much as i could and then fill it up with premium gas (hoping that I will start work in the fall time).

I tried a small 3/8" hose but it will not go down the tube. I can hear some bubbles (blowing in the hose) but the hose won't go down enough to siphon.
Does anyone know if there is a screen or filter in the filler neck before it enters the gas tank? I don't want to force it in and risk breaking something.

#7 ·
You can disconnect the fuel line from the supply line under the hood and put a hose on it to pump into a can. You will have to cycle the key a bunch because it will only pump for a few seconds. If you have a scan tool to power on the pump that will be faster.

I have to do that every now and then. We get Army soldiers going on deployment that didn't realize the rules said they can only have 1/4 tank in their car to get it shipped. Normally when they call we have 30 minutes to get 5-10 gallons out.

#9 ·
Just a simple code reader can't do it. You need one that lets you do functional tests and output controls.

#10 ·
I don't know why you are worrying about it. Brand new cars often sit on the lot 12-18 months with a part tank (I currently own 2 that sat for 18 months, including my 2017 Journey built in Sept. 2016 and purchased in Mar. 2018).

2 cycle engines are a completely different story. The gas evaporates over time but the oil doesn't, and it doesn't run very well with too much oil.

#11 ·
You probably don't have to do anything about this yet. If it's likely to be sitting another year or so I'd get it out of there and use it elsewhere. I've run gas up to 3 years old in 4 stroke jetskis, after adding a little fresh. It's the gas that sits closest to the combustion chamber that seems to age quickest, losing its ability to fire the engine. On lawnmowers/etc I just drain the floatbowl and let some gas from the tank get inside the bowl, works nearly every time.
Also, premium gas is no better than regular old gas for cleaning or longevity, don't waste your money on it unless you are experiencing detonation/pinging.
Hope the work situation gets better for you, you're not alone in that.

#13 ·
Take a chisel or punch and hammer a hole in the tank.

JUST KIDDING! Seriously, I wouldn't bother. Run the car on the gas in the tank. Adding a can on of Sea Foam or something to the tank wouldn't hurt but that would be it. New cars are sealed-up pretty tight so the gas degrades pretty slowly and the alcohol already in the gas should take care of any condensation, so you should be fine. Drive it around and then take it to the gas station and add some fresh stuff and get on with life.

#16 ·
Yep,, many, if not all our vans have a tube tucked up on the fuel tank with a plug on it to drain the tank. Just drive up onto a curb or ramps, or jack it up,, crawl under, find that tube, unscrew the plug while holding the tube high, then shove it into a gas can. Ba-dah bing. Was amazed when I found that awesome feature on earlier vans.

#17 ·
Hi everyone, due to covid, my van has been sitting for more than a year (with almost a full tank of gas.

Good Day! I hope you're enjoying a pleasant one.

Like others have said, you probably don't have anything to worry about but if you want to Chuck that gas anyway, here are my suggestions.

I bought a 12 Volt fluid transfer pump that came with several different size hoses connectors and even a spool of quarter inch copper tubing. I took a look and they don't have my specific model anymore and I didn't see any that came with the quarter inch copper tubing. But that's no big deal you can always go to Home Depot and get a 4-ft piece of copper tubing. It's helpful for going down into oil and transmission dipstick tubes as well. Boy does it work great! Sucked the fluid out of my pans lickity split. And it only cost about $26.

Here's a link to something which to me looks exactly like mine except it doesn't have the copper tubing.

"Hanperal DC 12V 5L Transfer Pump Extractor Oil Fluid Scavenge Suction Vacuum"

There are other types like manual pumping types and dozensof others to choose from.

They also have a selection of 5 gallon jugs if you need them.

Another option is to use a fuel c
onditioner and then just burn it off or drive it off. Here are a couple of conditioners that I like the best.

BestLine Gasoline Conditioner

Star Tron Enzyme Fuel Treatment Concentrate

And there are about a thousand others. You could go insane trying to pick one.

Good luck with your project.

John.

#18 ·
Look at the fuel rail that feeds the injectors. There should be a pressure test port similar to a tire air valve. Remove the schrader vale from the center. Some metal tire valves cap include a tool for this. Slip a hose over the valve and put it into the gas can. Find the fuel pump relay in the fuse box. Remove the relay and jump terminals 30 and 87 with ignition switch on to force the fuel pump to run. This will use the in tank fuel pump to push the fuel from the tank into your gas can.

#21 ·
So thanks for telling us there is an actual plug under the tank. This comes in handy in case a person wants
to drop their gas tank and wants the heaviness of a full tank of gas removed or if their going to sell their van and
still have a full tank of gas which cost them about 70 bucks, especially if their junking their van for 400 or so buck

#23 ·
I have yet to see an actual plug for draining a fuel tank. Somebody, please show me a picture.

Guess one could drill a hole and plug it. Some do that for transmission pans. :)

Last time I had a fuel pump assembly replaced (2007 DGC with stow and go), my tank was low on fuel and the shop lowered it with jacks. Didn't drain anything. No mention of drain plug back then and I was right there watching them.

A previous Thread:
Any ideas on how to drain the fuel tank?

Is the fuel tank for the 5th Generation a saddle type with two fuel pumps? Looks like it. Thought those were used on 4WD/AWD vehicles (for driveshaft).

Then it doesn't (2016 DGC):

#24 ·
It's flat bottom. There is no drain plug. Guy that mentioned one also mentioned "earlier vans", meaning 1st gen and possibly 2nd gen. I don't recall having seen a plastic tank with a drain plug on anything.

Run the pump or do it through the filler hole. But as many have said, there's really no need to do either.

Reactions: Jeepman
#25 ·
I agree with you. Looks like they may have changed tanks in 2011 though, per rockauto.com
2010 DGC: MOPAR 4809739AM
2011 DGC: MOPAR 4721841AF
Then again, the MOPAR 4809739AM tank seems to be more for a 2005 - 2007 (All models. Long wheelbase. With 60-40 buck)
Rockauto seems to have it messed up and the 5th Generation tank (all) is actually MOPAR 4721841AF
No drain plug for sure. Standard procedure is squeeze bulb siphon pump with a small enough tube adapted to work. Similar problem to pumping fluid out of the transmission, need a small diameter tube, jury-rigged to work.

#30 ·
Easiest way is to disconnect at the rail and jumper the fuel pump relay. Any attempt to drain it from a hose in the tank will likely be blocked by the anti-siphon valve.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.