The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Chrysler Town and Country Touring
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all:

I just bought a 2013 Chrysler Town and Country Touring with 8 way power seat. I should take delivery next week.

I've looked around but can't find an answer to this question. How much up and down travel does the 8 way power driver's seat have? I'm pretty darned short.

Thanks.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
11,079 Posts
Welcome.

Don't have an answer. But I would think you already took a test drive before committing.

Knowing how much it goes up/down doesn't really help as you also need to know the starting point and add to the equation how much the seat moves forward.

Said that, hope it works for you.

Good luck.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I suspect I should have given some more background information. Sorry, but I wasn't expecting to have to. :)

The Town and Country is a wheelchair conversion van, which is in Texas at the moment. I'm in Washington State.

There's not a very good selection of good quality used wheelchair accessible vans in the Portland/Vancouver area. Either they're very worn and old, or they're very expensive.

I rented a van maybe six years ago which was much like the van I just bought but it had a transfer seat in it. So I could park my powerchair behind the driver's seat and swivel the seat around to transfer. It wasn't necessary though to adjust the height it was pretty close.

My current minivan, a 1986 Dodge Caravan LE has the driver's seat raised up a bit due to the floor being lowered only nine inches instead of they typical 11 to 14 inches. It's not a transfer seat as such but has a manual swivel base which I can easily use and power forward and backward travel which moves far enough to be useful. The power forward and backward base came from a Caravan a couple of years newer than mine.

Now that this story is getting silly long, I am able to remove the front passenger seat in the 2013 Town and Country which I believe has an 11 inch drop floor. This means I can transfer straight across, but it would be great to know just how many inches of travel the seat has up and down and what the lowest (or highest) amount of height there is between the seat and the stock floor, I can add the eleven inches to that for the total.

If I have friends with me they can always back my powerchair up and re-attach the passenger seat or strap in to my power chair, there are tie downs.

All that said, I couldn't for the life of me find any specs anywhere which mentioned the seat travel ranges.

I would have added a transfer seat to my purchase but that would have added another $3,800 to the price of the van which was already approaching $28,000.

That said I bought the van from a wheelchair van conversion company, it has a four year warranty, and they do a complete bumper to bumper inspection and repair or replace anything that's wrong with the van before the sale.

To get a loan though I had to stick with vans under eleven years old with fewer than 120,000 miles on them.

·
Registered
725 Posts
I remember you from WCJunkie. (Welcome here!

I don' have the numbers, but the power seat in my 2015 DGC does go down very low. It aslo raises fairly high. Don't know if the helps. I did have to have my seat repaired twice (36K miles & 70K miles) because I adjust the seat so often, I think. I would prefer the transfer seat, but I could never afford one either.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah they're crazy expensive.

I had an old account here but couldn't remember my credentials and didn't have them written down.

I had a 1975 E150 I bought in 1979 that had a transfer seat but none of my other vans had one.

Yeah, I loved WCJ, it was a great place. I was pretty sad when I found out that Mark died, he was a great guy.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Yes, he was. I remember you posting about that E150 before.

I realized later that my comments about the seat height were about a non-lowered floor van seat. We can't even afford one of those vans unless we buy a used one like you did.

Edit to add: on my van when the seat is raised up, it also moves forward, and when lowered it moves backward too. I hate that, but that's the way it is.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think the Town and Country I just bought allows the seat to be raised and lowered independently of distance to the steering wheel.

I found the build sheet for the van last night. Sadly the pedals aren't adjustable, though that wasn't high on my list.

My current E150 and my Caravan have lowered floors, as does the Chrysler I just bought, but the seats aren't height adjustable so I had to have both seats raised. On the Ford that meant adding extensions to the pedals, but the Dodge seat didn't have to go up that high. Thankfully both old vans have tilt wheels.

I'm cleaning out the 1986 Dodge Caravan LE over the weekend to sell. I'm hoping to get $3,500 for it but at 34 years old I'm not expecting too. It has a power gull wing door, power ramp, power drivers seat base with manual rotate, and hand controls. The old van runs like a top but it's showing its age.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hi all:

I just bought a 2013 Chrysler Town and Country Touring with 8 way power seat. I should take delivery next week.

I've looked around but can't find an answer to this question. How much up and down travel does the 8 way power driver's seat have? I'm pretty darned short.

Thanks.
My power drivers seat travels up and down 2.5 -2.75." It lowest postion is about .75 - 1.0" lower than my passenger (non power seat).

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Awesome. That's exactly what I was looking to find out. I wish Chrysler would put that info in the owners manual.

So, I can pull out the passenger seat, park my chair next to the driver's seat and transfer without spending thousands on a transfer seat.

Most wheelchair minivans have removable front seats on rollers. My 1986 Dodge Caravan LE doesn't but that's a very early conversion van.

·
3rd gen > all others
2,630 Posts
There is a early 5th gen white van at U Pull R Parts in East Bethel, MN right now. It's a handicapped van with a ramp out of the rear, center lowered channel/floor for wheelchair. I don't know what kind of seats it had. I am guessing a transfer seat swivels and slides sideways? I might have to start getting those when I see them, if I can afford them just to save them from the crusher.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't know what kind of seating they put in rear entry minivans but I suspect they're designed for the wheelchair user to ride as a passenger only.

·
3rd gen > all others
2,630 Posts
It had no rear seat, and the spare tire was in the rear against the side. The middle row captain seats were folded up and folded sideways, to make room for the wheelchair to sit in the center. There was a heavy duty seat belt/buckle in the rear, I assumed for securing a power chair. Rear suspension was beefed up with aftermarket shocks with coil springs over them. I'll have to look closer at the front seats if I get back there in time (usually they crush vehicles after two months) and it's 1 1/2 hours away from me.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It might be interesting to see. I've not seen the interior of any of the rear entry minivans as of yet.

I'm actually not all that keen on them, I think they waste too much space to accommodate the wheelchair. At least most side entry accessible minivans give the wheelchair user a choice of up to three places to sit.

My 1986 Dodge Caravan LE is side entry but it's an early conversion and only has room in the middle of the van to park a wheelchair. The floor is only lowered from behind the front seats to in front of the rear seat.

I think almost all side entry accessible vans now have the floor lowered from the firewall to just in front of the back seat.

·
Registered
725 Posts
I rode in a Taxi with a rear entry ramp. I agree that they waste space, or take too much of the usable space for the ramp. Our old 99 Dodge Grand Caravan had side entry with the floor lowered all the way from firewall to back seat. I don't have that van anymore because the ramp was a manual ramp, and retrofitting a motor for the ramp cost way too much. (How many times have we said this in this thread already?)

Anyway, are you saying the van you bought has a lowered floor, but uses the Chrysler power seat?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah, the van I bought has the floor lowered from the firewall to the front of the back seat.

It has the Chrysler power seat base but not an actual transfer seat.

I'm able to transfer across from the front passenger area to the drivers seat if I wheel out the passenger seat and park my chair there instead. I've done this with rental vans.

I wanted a transfer seat but that would have added another $3,500 to the van and I am already at $31,000. I couldn't afford it.

·
Registered
725 Posts
I measured how much my power seat goes up or down and it came to approximately 5 inches. It was roughly 11" (depending on where you measure) for seat to floor height, and 16" at the highest position.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I got some great news Friday morning at work.

AMS Vans in Texas was about to put my van on a truck to haul to SW Washington State and they called my sales rep, and he picked up his cell phone and called me. The van has a driver's transfer seat, which isn't listed as an option on the van listing on the AMS Vans website. They wanted to know if I wanted the transfer seat removed.

"**** no!" I told Mark. "Leave it in there!, please and thank you!".

That is such good news. I get to keep the front passenger seat in the van and my front seat passenger won't have to sit in my Permobil C350. My friends hate sitting in my powerchair, they claim it's uncomfortable. I think my powerchair is the most comfortable seat in the house, I don't know why my friends don't agree? Maybe because it's set up to fit me and not them. :)

Anyway, that was exciting news. I'd opted out of buying the transfer seat because AMS Vans wants $3,960 for them and the cost of the van delivered has already nearly reached $32,000. I just couldn't afford the added expense.

·
Registered
725 Posts
You're getting the seat for "free"?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts