The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are original owners of 1995 Grand Caravan, 3.3L. We have noticed some difficulties with front doors and we have re-aligned the latches so that they now work well.

However, we have noticed cracks on the front frames of both doors, right where the hinges are attached to the frames. As the doors are opened and closed, the cracks allow the hinges to slightly separate from the remainder of the frames. The right side door has cracks by the top hinge, the left side door has cracks by both hinges.

Does anyone else have similar issues? Or would anyone know how or if to deal with this? It would seem necessary to remove the fenders and weld the areas or else to add some sort of re-enforcement? But it would seem very questionable to put too much labor into something this old. We see some rust on right side rocker panel, but not elsewhere. Thoughts? Suggestions?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I could be helpful if you included some photos. I would think if there on the frame that if you removed the doors [or maybe not depending cracks location] you could mig weild them and be good to go. You can buy a good mig for about $100 at harbor fright or have a weilding shop look at them and have them fix them . I hope this helps.

·
Registered
29 Posts
We are the original owners of our '91 Grand Voyager, at about 230k miles We are having a body shop reinforce the front passenger door frame where the hinges attach for a similar reason. We don't see cracks, but the hinges flex against the frame, causing the door to hit the latch. The body shop owner said that it appears that metal fatigue has weakened the area. So far no trouble on the driver's side. They will have to remove the front fender to do the reinforcement.

The rust you mention on the right side rocker panel I assume is on the outside. I'd get someone look at how extensive it is. Rust on the outside is usually worse further in.

·
Registered
59 Posts
My '94 Grand Caravan has a crack in the hinge post/chassis/front of door opening at the top the passenger/right front door hinge. The crack seems to run vertically along the back side of the latch and continues upwards for a short distance. Just noticed it several weeks ago. I can see it flex when the door is wide open and I move it.

Thinking back I seem to remember a passenger was getting out and the wind suddenly took the door out of their grasp. It was a bit scary how hard it opened against the door stop.

It still seems to work ok openign and closing as easily as it ever has. For now anyway but I suspect it will get worse if the door gets used a lot.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts