The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a squeak that is repetitive with tire rotation. My CVs don't clunk if I do a turn locked in either direction. Is it common for CVs to squeak or could it be something else?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have a squeak that is repetitive with tire rotation. My CVs don't clunk if I do a turn locked in either direction. Is it common for CVs to squeak or could it be something else?
Or could this be axle shaft bearing? I don't want to have to take it apart twice.

·
Registered
974 Posts
I would inspect the brake pads and caliper hardware and backing plates first, they would be more likely to squeal or squeak than a cv axle.

Next item would be an intermediate shaft bearing (or hanger bearing) on the passenger/right side IF equipped with one, that bearing could be drying up or failing and could also squeal, it is not on Rockauto site but will come up on a web search.

Also it is possible your van might have a long 1 piece axle on the passenger side and no hanger.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Tha k's for the reply. Half shaft is straight out of the front diff into the hub. Boots seem to be in good condition. Same with brake hardware. Wheel bearing were done last year.
It sounds identical to a rwd vehicle when the u joint starts to squeak. Just have a hard time Beleive it's the u joint. Might start taking it apart today. I wish vehicles still had factory grease nipples.

·
Super Moderator
21,596 Posts
Brake pad wear tab hitting rotor. Something on brake pad. Loose bolts or nuts. Hub was damaged, or over tightened, by using an air impact wrench during assembly.

No leaks in cv boot that would cause the cv joint to be dry? Are the clamps for the boot rusted out?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So it ended up being two lugs nuts that had to be retorqued. Strange but relieved. Had no vibrations and squeak was not there on acceleration and braking loads. Sounded identical to a dry u joint on a rwd vehicle.

·
Super Moderator
21,596 Posts
So it ended up being two lugs nuts that had to be retorqued. Strange but relieved. Had no vibrations and squeak was not there on acceleration and braking loads. Sounded identical to a dry u joint on a rwd vehicle.
Glad you got it taken care of. (y)(y)

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Loose lugs make some wild noises on these Vans. Been there done that.

·
1000 Post Club Member
2,494 Posts
I think you might have what I had once, especially if it is the driver's side. Mine sounded like a EEEYAAW, EEEYAAW as it slowly rotated, couldn't hear it at high speeds. Took it to the dealer, everyone was stumped. I finally measured the axle lengths, you can get this from a manual. Turns out my engine was 1/4" too far to the driver's side. Had to loosen the motor mounts and move the engine over toward the belt side of the engine. The squeal is from the tips of the rubber accordian boots rubbing at the tops as they go around. That stopped it permanently.
Hope that helps,
TW

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
5 Participants
tcwagner1
The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums
ChryslerMinivan.net is the best forum for Chrysler Town and Country owners to discuss mileage, price, problems, towing and more. Join now!
Full Forum Listing