The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read over time use distilled water only when flushing vs. garden hose water. I understand calcium comes and other minerals come through the hose which creates problems. However if I flush with the garden hose water and have the engine running to normal range; does a significant amount of calcium and minerals not just flush out because their only in the system for about 10 minutes while flushing?

I then see a youtube video put on by prestone that shows the garden hose as the mean of flushing the system (2008).

Thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
22,243 Posts
For peace of mind, used demineralized water at less than $5.00 for a 5 gallon jug in the US.

Tap water can be variable such as very corrosive, containing lead, containing chlorine, being non potable, etc. Avoid the nightmares or take your chances. :)

Well maintained systems tend to run pretty clean these days, so flushing isn't as critical as it use to be, otherwise we wouldn't have 5 year,10 year, and "lifetime" coolants. Drain and refill 3 or 4 times, circulating the water in between, should do it.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
9,913 Posts
I use garden hose flush until I only see clear water.

I use this flush kit, then air hose. I always remove thermostat before flushing.

Leftover municipal potable water should not be worst that leftover dirty coolant.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
I have rain barrels for watering plants. Depending on where you are and vicinity to say a coal fired electrical plant (can be the causation of acid rain) I have used rain water for flushing the system.

Distilled water
DeIonized water
Rain water
Tap water
Mineral spring (bottled)
Urine
Well water
Cola / beer

This is pretty much my list in preferred order of availability. (for both radiator or lead acid battery servicing)

I have used water from the condensation line of HVAC or a dehumidifier. Depending on the condition/age of the machine, I would put it either before or after "rain water" in my list.

My 2002 minivan has the rear heater / AC system and I have determined that the system capacity is close to four gallons. When I drain and measure the fluid I can get out, it is about two gallons.
What I have done is to drain and fill with water, then drive. REPEAT Drain, fill water, drive .... as many times as I feel is necessary to get the system flushed until I am satisfied I have 100% water. Then I drain the two + gallons of water, and refill the system with two gallons of CONCENTRATE antifreeze.
That is about 50/50 antifreeze/water which is ideal for most winter conditions. Oh yeah, we use HOAT type antifreeze as recommended by Chrysler Zerex G-05 is HOAT as is the Mopar antifreeze.
NOTE: Antifreeze can be as strong as 70%AF to 30% water for extreme climates. Refer to af mfg literature for your expected tamperature range.

·
Super Moderator
22,243 Posts
Maybe urine should be last on your list. :) Takes too long to produce and you might get "you know what" stuck in the hose. :)

·
Drivin' Maniac
1,740 Posts
You could use compressed air to 'blown through' the system to get most of the city water out, then add your coolant of choice. (We use Zerex Z-05, you can buy it from NAPA in either concentrate or pre-mix)

·
Super Moderator
22,243 Posts
You could use compressed air to 'blown through' the system to get most of the city water out, then add your coolant of choice. (We use Zerex Z-05, you can buy it from NAPA in either concentrate or pre-mix)
How about a garden hose on one end and a shop vac on the other? :)

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thank you. I will go with distilled water. but still don't see how adverse hose water could be since the water will be hot and removed after about 10 minutes for flushing.
I guess a lot of people do things to be "safe" without knowing facts. but "a just in case" strategy serves well. it's just annoying to do things just because....

thanks guys

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
9,913 Posts
thank you. I will go with distilled water. but still don't see how adverse hose water could be since the water will be hot and removed after about 10 minutes for flushing.
I guess a lot of people do things to be "safe" without knowing facts. but "a just in case" strategy serves well. it's just annoying to do things just because....

thanks guys
People can't understand, after few years coolant have added minerals scrapped off from the internals. Flushing with potable water leave less minerals than leaving a couple of litters of old, contaminated coolant.

After that, yes, distilled water is the best option.

·
Super Moderator
22,243 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok. I will look and see if grocery has the demineralized. I thought it would be more priced then distilled.
Levy thanks for the explanation. you still use the hose water though because I saw that prestone package and saw that it included an end that the user could screw on the end of a hose. thanks fellas. even the Haynes shows picture using a garden flush in the picture.

So if I have rear heat on my sxt then I will be able to use 2 gallons of concentrated and 4 gallons of h20? this is what I will put in after flushing with 3 gallons of h20. that's a lot of h20 buying.

·
Super Moderator
22,243 Posts
If you drain, fill, circulate three or four times, you will need to add concentrate (not mixed) to fill it up to get 50/50 ratio. That's when draining (dumping) using the bottom radiator hose.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok use the bottom radiator hose to empty man that's a tight fit, the clamp that is. I remember taking out radiator once. maybe I will use worm clamp instead of the spring loaded. that will make it easier. so after circulation three times or four times and emptying it out. add two concentrated gallons and then fill with h2o the rest of the way. right?

·
Super Moderator
22,243 Posts
You are only draining about 50% of the coolant volume each time. Disconnect the hose where it fastens to the steel pipe to water pump. Yes, go to worm type clamp as the spring type clamp will weaken during the process. Removing the splash shield makes things easier.

Here's the process I have used: https://www.chryslerminivan.net/threads/dodge-grand-caravan-se-coolant-system-capacity.130978/#post-1326298

After three drains, you will still have about a quart of actual antifreeze left in the system. Add the concentrate to make up the difference. This will likely fill the system, including the reservoir requirement. Maybe no water needs to be added.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
how many gallons of h20 do I need for the process? you said in the link added, and thanks, that there won't be much added water will be needed at the end.
why is there quite a bit of fluid back in the engine that didn't come out through the flushes?

I guess the information supplied to me is predicated on that the correct amount of fluid was mixed in the system prior. I did it about 5 years ago. but about 2 years ago I put in radiator and drained what came out of the bottom water hose and of course I had new radiator without any antifreeze in it.

I added a 50/50 mix to fill the system radiator and what ever the engine would take.

·
Super Moderator
22,243 Posts
Around two gallons of water a change, say 4 gallons. A 5 gallon jug of demineralized water should do. It did for me.

There will be a deposit for the jug but you can get that back by returning the empty jug. Here the deposit is $10.00, so $15.00+/_ total before jug return..

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Jeepman--thanks for help, as well as other contributors.
sorry to ask for clarification again, especially for something seems so simple of a task. I did this task about 5 years ago when I was younger, now that I am older I feel like loosing some of the brains. But I need to do these things to keep my mind working.

You said to remove hose from bottom hose (feeding into water pump) you said drain about 3 or 4 times. are you saying drain each time from that bottom hose.
If I use the alternative. Drain plug from radiator it will be less of a mess right and accomplish the same thing. right? Seems easier then taking clamp on and off each refill.

If I remove coolant/water from radiator: is that about 2 gallons each time? I didn't know if that was what Fabricgator was referring to in post 4 above. Because if I can get 2 gallons each time then that is a good way to do it for me.

·
Super Moderator
22,243 Posts
Jeepman--thanks for help, as well as other contributors.
sorry to ask for clarification again, especially for something seems so simple of a task. I did this task about 5 years ago when I was younger, now that I am older I feel like loosing some of the brains. But I need to do these things to keep my mind working.

You said to remove hose from bottom hose (feeding into water pump) you said drain about 3 or 4 times. are you saying drain each time from that bottom hose. Yes, each time. Let's say three times which includes drain, refill, run engine to open thermostat and to circulate/mix coolant and water. Let things cool down and repeat the same process. Repeat one more time to make that three drains total.
If I use the alternative. Drain plug from radiator it will be less of a mess right and accomplish the same thing. right? Seems easier then taking clamp on and off each refill. The drain cocks have a habit of sticking and they also drain very slowly. Removing the bottom hose gives a good dump in seconds helping any flushing action.

If I remove coolant/water from radiator: is that about 2 gallons each time? I didn't know if that was what Fabricgator was referring to in post 4 above. Because if I can get 2 gallons each time then that is a good way to do it for me. A drain is around two gallons each time, the first drain will be the largest most likely.
You can use a $5.00 squeeze bulb siphon pump to empty the reservoir OR, for your first drain, keep the radiator cap closed and that drain will siphon out the reservoir.

See comments in bold above.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts