The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Air Conditioner/Heater control, door control, lights control, steering wheel cruise control lights not working. Horn doesn't work.
Is the problem a fuse, IPM, clock spring, or what? Please help!

·
Registered
675 Posts
check the little wire running off the big positive clamp on the battery terminal, and check the bottom side of the IPM for corrosion

my van acted the same when that little wire wasn't making good contact

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
check the little wire running off the big positive clamp on the battery terminal, and check the bottom side of the IPM for corrosion

my van acted the same when that little wire wasn't making good contact
I'll check that tomorrow. Thanks!

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
10,174 Posts
Welcome.

Disconnect one battery cable and with that cable touch the other cable (don't worry, no short circuit as long as one of the cables is not connected).

Let us know if that clear some of the problems.

Horn and steering wheel problems sounds like a clockspring issue.

Good luck.

·
3rd gen > all others
2,409 Posts
The tiny light bulbs in those things like to burn out. Sometimes tapping on an affected panel may get a light or two to work again, proving a bad connection or burnt out bulbs.

For the above suggestion, I would use a jumper cable connected to the battery terminal, and the other end of the same jumper cable touched to the disconnected battery terminal, away from the battery. I wouldn't want to risk a battery explosion or flash fireball in my face.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
10,174 Posts
For the above suggestion, I would use a jumper cable connected to the battery terminal, and the other end of the same jumper cable touched to the disconnected battery terminal, away from the battery. I wouldn't want to risk a battery explosion or flash fireball in my face.
No jumper cable needed, not at all.

No noticeable spark during this procedure, however you will definitively see sparks when you re-connect the battery cable back to the battery. No manufacturer warns you about re-connecting battery terminals, just when jumping a battery.

Little secret:

Good and fully charged batteries will not explode due to a accidental spark, just badly discharged batteries would.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Obviously the horn/lamp problem that I posted about isn't a fuse, or a problem that I can easily fix, so I've decided to leave it with the pros. Thank you all so much for your help!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts