The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
I'm curious as to whether this letter is going out to all owners of 2008 models. What is the build date of your vehicle?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Indicated on the driver's door is a sticker which says "Date of Mfr: 07-08. Hope that helps. The way the document reads it appears the warranty extension applies to all 08's.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Hi,

I received this latter last week and figured I'd have them check my brakes when I take my van in for it's next oil change. On Tuesday of this week, while headed down the hill to town, I felt and heard a grinding in my front brakes. Immediately called the dealer and made an appointment. Took the van in yesterday and they replaced the front brakes and rotors. They did not charge me the $50 deductible, so I am quite please with the service. They also replaced the radiator cap, but did not address the sliding door electrical recall, which I haven't seen yet . If you have over 10,000 miles on your 08 van, get the brakes checked.

Phil

·
Registered
106 Posts
I already have over 36,000 on my 2008. The pads look pretty good. Of course I live in a small place. We use the Grand Caravan mostly for trips. I don't use the brakes much. I replaced the front pads on my 2000 Windstart last year for the first time. They would have lasted a lot longer but one pad was worn more. I got pads with the hardware to put on it. I didn't change the rear shoes then. Now it has 160,000 on it. I have the shoes, but have not changed them yet. I guess I'm not what you would call normal for brake wear. I doubt if I get that many miles on my 2008 without changing pads.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just a heads up. The dealer may charge a fee to check the brakes to see if they need servicing. Our dealer wanted $45 which they said would be refunded IF the front brakes were bad. We are just about at 36K miles so even if the brakes were declared bad it is still an $100 deductible. Dealer said it is just replacement pads and the rotors cut.

So gambling $45 in the hopes the fronts are bad (bad to Chrysler's specs that is) and then having to pay $100 for a simple pad swap which can be done in the driveway for less? Not much of a deal. The rear brakes just got to the wear indicators and they are not covered in the notice. Oh well. Anyone have the minimum rotor thicknesses handy?

·
Registered
122 Posts
I think I'd try another dealer. My dealer replaced the pads and REPLACED the rotors. He could have charged me the $50 deductible, but did not since I only had 11000 miles and was within the 24 months.. Nor was there any mention of charging a fee to inspect the brakes.

Phil

·
Registered
10 Posts
what after 36K?

I am considering buying two used 2008 GC with 30-36K. Am I to assume the problem is fixed (better rotors?) or once the extended warranty is up will the early rotor failure continue?

·
Registered
111 Posts
I got a copy of this letter in the mail (and I'm 2nd owner of this vehicle)

But I just went over 40K, so this particular deal won't help me

·
Certified Minivan Freak
9,436 Posts
I think I'd try another dealer. My dealer replaced the pads and REPLACED the rotors. He could have charged me the $50 deductible, but did not since I only had 11000 miles and was within the 24 months.. Nor was there any mention of charging a fee to inspect the brakes.
The dealer should have the right to charge a fee to inspect the brakes. This is not a recall, but simply a warranty extension. Asking the dealer to inspect parts that aren't recalled to see if they need replacing would be like asking them to check the serpentine belt or the water pump, to see if they're bad. Sure, they'll replace them if they're bad (and may charge the diagnostic fee to warranty), but if they're not bad, the dealer's got to get paid for looking at the vehicle. With a recall situation, the manufacturer signs up for a 100% vehicle check (in theory). With a warranty extension, they'll simply replace a part if it fails, under that extended coverage (whatever that may be).

My rear HVAC evaporator core is supposedly covered under an extended warranty also. I would not expect Chrysler to periodically inspect it without charge unless there was a reasonable suspicion of it being bad (loss of refrigerant, etc).

·
Registered
122 Posts
Over the years, I have taken my cars in for service and advised the dealer that the car was making this or that noise or was vibrating, etc. If they found a problem they fixed it, if they didn't they did not charge me. This has always been in conjunction with service visits. If you just drive in off the street and request a brake inspection, with no other service and no symptoms, then yes, I agree that you should be charged. If you take the vehicle in for say, an oil change and tire rotation as I did, and you tell the dealer that the brakes are making noise, and it is a warranty item, extended or not, they should take care of it. If they find a problem they fix it, if not they don't charge you. Over the years, I have had problems with cars under warranty where the dealer could not duplicate the problem on the first visit, or even the second, but finally found the problem and fixed it. I was never charged for the service since it was under warranty. That should apply here as well.

Phil

·
Registered
10 Posts
The dealer should have the right to charge a fee to inspect the brakes. This is not a recall, but simply a warranty extension. Asking the dealer to inspect parts that aren't recalled to see if they need replacing would be like asking them to check the serpentine belt or the water pump, to see if they're bad. Sure, they'll replace them if they're bad (and may charge the diagnostic fee to warranty), but if they're not bad, the dealer's got to get paid for looking at the vehicle. With a recall situation, the manufacturer signs up for a 100% vehicle check (in theory). With a warranty extension, they'll simply replace a part if it fails, under that extended coverage (whatever that may be).

My rear HVAC evaporator core is supposedly covered under an extended warranty also. I would not expect Chrysler to periodically inspect it without charge unless there was a reasonable suspicion of it being bad (loss of refrigerant, etc).
My dealer has never charged me just to inspect my brakes. I bought a 2008 GC with 31,000 miles today and the salesman told me to bring the car back just before the 36,000 mile extended warranty expires and they will check the wear. I do agree that expecting repeated inspections without suspicion of excess wear is unreasonable.I feel fortunate to have done business with this dealer for over 25 years that is very interested in customer staisfaction.

·
Certified Minivan Freak
9,436 Posts
If you take the vehicle in for say, an oil change and tire rotation as I did, and you tell the dealer that the brakes are making noise, and it is a warranty item, extended or not, they should take care of it...
Absolutely. You added an additional element here, though. The brakes are making noise. If you have a material symptom, then I completely agree that the inspection should be done at no charge to the customer. The way I read your first post was you just drove up to the dealer and asked him to inspect the brakes to see if they've worn down enough to be covered under warranty. In that situation, I would expect the dealer to charge a fee.

·
Certified Minivan Freak
9,436 Posts
I feel fortunate to have done business with this dealer for over 25 years that is very interested in customer staisfaction.
I would feel fortnuate also; those types of outfits (ones interested in pleasing the customer) seem fewer and farther between these days.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Fwiw my request for front brake inspection was while two recalls and an oil change were being performed on the vehicle. It was not simply a cold call for the brakes. While I can see both sides of the fee issue and can understand the dealer’s desire to minimize nuisance inspections, clearly Chrysler got a bad batch of pads (or goofed on the original material specs to the pad suppliers) otherwise they would not be issuing this “warranty extension”. Because of that, even a cold call just for the brakes should be no charge imo.

In my case the rear brakes had just hit the wear indicators prior to bringing it in for the recalls and had the dealer inspected the fronts for free and then determined they were eligible for repair under the warranty extension I would have let them do the rear brakes on my dime. Now they get nothing as I will do all the brakes myself. <Shrug>

·
Registered
15 Posts
I am considering buying two used 2008 GC with 30-36K. Am I to assume the problem is fixed (better rotors?) or once the extended warranty is up will the early rotor failure continue?
The warranty extension is mainly for the pads. It appears they do the minimum repair possible. Funny how when it is on our dime a brake job includes calipers, rotors, premium pads, etc.

Anyhow, if the vans you are looking at still have the original pads, expect to be replacing them soon. Why not simply make the purchase contingent on the brakes being at least 50% or they have to be replaced at the sellers expense?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Just got mine back from the dealer, brought it in specifically for the brakes, 23600 mi on her. Said they were squeaking, no charge for the inspection, had the front pads and rotors replaced with the 50 dollar deductable. It would have cost me that for a decent set of pads anyways, and i didnt have to do the work. Funny thing is, was just there 2 weeks ago for a right outer cv boot replacement, no mention of brake wear then. Anyways, I happy.
Service writer said the brake pad material was changed, but how would one know.

·
Registered
15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts

Funny thing is that most reputable dealers have brake wear inspections as part of their 16-point inspections when you go in for service. Since they find the issue they would expect you to have them repair it. When I mentioned that to my dealer I got the open eyes looks ( like, busted look) and he let it slide since the pads were visably worn without having to pull the tire. Oh, that's right, they were being rotated anyway!! Good thing he let it go since I would be looking for "another independent business man" to have my service money in the future. See that was the excuse I got about the $29 inspection fee.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Past the time limit

At 31000 miles, the front brakes of my DODGE GC are just about shot. Called DODGE to see if they could help because I'm a year past the 36 month time allotment. They wouldn't do anything. Dealer has a special on brakes this month so I'm bringing it it. Maybe he can help out a bit more. BTW - had the front bearings replaced last month (under extended warranty) by a different dealer and DODGE has no record of it being done. Maybe they're just behind on paperwork??

1 - 20 of 21 Posts