The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone
I`ve got a quick question about the 62TE transmission which is in my Freemont.
When the transmission oil temp. reaches about 158 °F , it starts to make funny stuff.
I`m slowing down on to a junction or whatever until im at let`s say 2-5 mph, then it starts to kinda
creak in the transmission and im fully on the breaks and its kinda hard to fully stop (car still want to move forward, more than it should). It feels like it doesn`t disengage the clutch proper.
Has anyone ever had something like this before ?;)

·
Super Moderator
27,248 Posts
The Freemont:
Fiat Freemont Drive: A (Slightly) Different Kind of Journey

How's the ATF+4 oil level in your transmission at 158F transmission temperature?

Fast idle? Shift to neutral?

Welcome to the Forum.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did a check when it was cold. No fluid on my dipstick, should be betwenn 5 - 15mm eh ?
Strange thing about, no leaks at all.
idle is around 850 rpm and doesn`t shift to neutral on its own.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
2,702 Posts
Sounds like a front suspension issue and not transmission. Never heard these creak, as described or otherwise. A weak suspension would make noise and if worn enough could have the alignment off enough to affect braking.

Sticking rear calipers was an issue with the Journeys. The parking brake screw would catch a notch further down than it should. This caused the rear brakes to overheat, making them less effective and overloading the fronts. Do you notice a burnt smell when the noise happens?

·
Super Moderator
27,248 Posts
I did a check when it was cold. No fluid on my dipstick, should be betwenn 5 - 15mm eh ?
Strange thing about, no leaks at all.
idle is around 850 rpm and doesn`t shift to neutral on its own.
No fluid on dipstick when cold may not mean anything. The fluid may need to be warmed up a bit like for 5 or 6 minutes, before measuring.. What's the level, stone cold, no engine running, after sitting overnight? For my DGC its 95 mm consistently, on a level surface.

I would expect a little lower RPM.

Noise could be bushings somewhere, sway bar, control arm, mounts?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds like a front suspension issue and not transmission. Never heard these creak, as described or otherwise. A weak suspension would make noise and if worn enough could have the alignment off enough to affect braking.

Sticking rear calipers was an issue with the Journeys. The parking brake screw would catch a notch further down than it should. This caused the rear brakes to overheat, making them less effective and overloading the fronts. Do you notice a burnt smell when the noise happens?
No it doesnt smell burnt when the noise appears.
You can let the car roll out to 5 mph and it does the strange noise aswell and you can kinda feel the creak from the transmission

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
2,702 Posts
Maybe a noisy transmission mount. If it has a rip in it, it's possible that it could creak when pressure is applied. A video clip would be helpful.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No fluid on dipstick when cold may not mean anything. The fluid may need to be warmed up a bit like for 5 or 6 minutes, before measuring.. What's the level, stone cold, no engine running, after sitting overnight? For my DGC its 95 mm consistently, on a level surface.
i measured it at around 80 °F and there was no fluid on it. Car was running about 3-5 mins and shifted through every gear before.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Maybe a noisy transmission mount. If it has a rip in it, it's possible that it could creak when pressure is applied. A video clip would be helpful.
Gonna try to do one tomorrow . Strange thing about is, i can drive around and try to get this fault but it wont come untill around 158F .
Till then everything works fine.

·
fix it if you can
5,439 Posts
Never heard these creak
Solenoid pack noise can be described as a creak or sorts... (not saying that's the cause, just saying it's possible)
Easily tested - pull the power to the pack and drive it in limp mode at low speed...

·
Registered
18 Posts
im fully on the breaks and its kinda hard to fully stop (car still want to move forward, more than it should). It feels like it doesn`t disengage the clutch proper.
Has anyone ever had something like this before ?;)
@Sienile creak noise aside doesn't this sound like a Torque converter problem?

@N1cE221 what does the rpm do when you're stopping?

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
2,702 Posts
The portion you highlighted sounds like a sticking shift solenoid not disengaging fast enough. Could be a torque converter issue if it was in the right gear for TCC lock-up when you hit the brakes. Hot fluid, clogged filter, and air in the fluid (low, very overfilled) can all cause that.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts