The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

Cap Nut Removal Tool for the Antenna Mast of 99 Chrysler TC

4K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  wtz_ftw 
#1 ·
I am "thinking" of replacing the two pass side broken doors--not committed yet. For that end, the pass side fender needs to be removed, and that would require the antenna mast to be removed. The FSM mentions a cap nut removal tool. See pic. I Googled. The results, however, show a different kind of cap nut removal tool. It is a five-sided wrench!

Where can you find this cap nut removal tool for removing the antenna mast?

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks for the reply, Marty Mopar!

I will try NAPA.

Did you ever have to remove the antenna mast? If yes, how did you do it?

Thanks!

#4 ·
hammer and screw driver or nail set

Reactions: wtz_ftw
#6 ·
Thanks for the tips, 443k3.3 and Levy! I will give them a try next time I'm in the yard.

I did a practice session in the yard with the pass side two doors. The plastic clips holding the two electrical connectors to the pass front door are VERY fragile. They broke easily, when I removed them.

Or maybe in a hurry, I didn't do it correctly. :)

If those two electrical connectors are not held securely, they can be easily crashed by the door swinging close and open.

But that is getting a little off topic.

Thanks to all who chimed in and helped! (y)

#7 ·
A: You dont need to remove the fender, its easier to remove the fender, but Ive removed and installed the door with it still on.

B: You dont need to remove the antenna.There is enough cable to swing that fender far enough out of the way to access the hinge bolts and electrical connectors once youve unbolted the fender.

#8 ·
I've also replaced my front passenger door, and must have done it like Special Edy because I didn't remove the fender. I may have loosened it like he said, and gotten at the hinge bolts through the wheel well; it's been so long I can't remember exactly how. I do remember having to be very careful with the wiring harness though! Best of luck!

#9 ·
in case this is of some help to you

many years ago, the original antennae on our 99 TC broke off at the base
happen to take it to a place that specialized in car stereos and antennae, and they had to cut it off -- along with damage to the paint in the area that they wound up paying to have fixed

so my takeaway is if you don't have to remove it, don't

#10 ·
Special Edy, I forgot to mention that the fender has some dents on it. I'm thinking of replacing it as well along with the change of the two doors. I'm not committed to that decision yet, as I haven't felt comfortable disconnecting and reconnecting the two electrical connectors at the pass front door without breaking the plastic mounting tabs. As I said before, if those electrical connectors are not secured, they can be easily crashed when the door swings shut or open.

Thanks to everyone who contributed! Sincerely appreciated! (y)

#11 ·
Make sure you get a 98+ T&C door. My 97 Grand Voyager had a single plug on the passenger door. The 2000 T&C I pulled my donor passenger door from had 2 plugs.
Internally, the only difference in the wiring is that the 2000 T&C had 6 wires feeding the Infinity door speaker versus 4 wires on my 97 GV Infinity speaker.

The 2 extra wires are on the second plug, plus Chrysler moved the 2 power wires for the speaker amplifier from the first plug onto the second.

I'm not sure if this change was on all 98-2000 vans, or just the T&C

#12 ·

97 Infinity Speaker vs 2000 Infinity plug

#13 ·
Thanks for the excellent info, Special Edy! Sincerely appreciated! (y)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.