The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Once out, I cant get it back in. The bottom, or the area that goes in first, looks like I may have damaged that part but its made like a screw and the very end looks like the plastic was bent out of place. Went to put back in and it just turns. Is there a secret to it?

·
fix it if you can
4,972 Posts
The secret is to never mess with petcock valves (esp. ones that are over a decade old) lower rad hose is a lot easier (and cheaper) to replace vs. radiator...
I don't remember where, but a while back (few years) I did see someone selling replacement valve cores for Valeo radiators.

There's always JB Weld :)

·
Registered
61 Posts
The secret is to never mess with petcock valves (esp. ones that are over a decade old) lower rad hose is a lot easier (and cheaper) to replace vs. radiator...
I don't remember where, but a while back (few years) I did see someone selling replacement valve cores for Valeo radiators.

There's always JB Weld :)
Yep, when I drained my coolant, I never even thought of using the petcock. Just JB Weld, or epoxy it, and never use it again!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just bought a new one really cheap at autozone and fiddled with it for a couple minutes before I found out how it went in. I had 3 other T and Cs but they were all different.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well that's the reason I made the post because I had already taken it out. I work on cars for a living and never had that problem even after doing a hundred jobs or more dealing with the petcock valve. I'll always try to open the petcock before trying to take that bottom hose off especially when all I'm doing is changing the antifreeze.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
11,583 Posts
I work on cars for a living and never had that problem even after doing a hundred jobs or more dealing with the petcock valve. I'll always try to open the petcock before trying to take that bottom hose off especially when all I'm doing is changing the antifreeze.
Experienced people doesn't use the plastic petcock valve, too risky.

Listen to atoman.

·
fix it if you can
4,972 Posts
Well that's the reason I made the post because I had already taken it out. I work on cars for a living and never had that problem even after doing a hundred jobs or more dealing with the petcock valve. I'll always try to open the petcock before trying to take that bottom hose off especially when all I'm doing is changing the antifreeze.
there's always that first time when a simple everyday task becomes a nightmare... (esp. when a customer gives you h3ll for taking hours for simple coolant change).
Important thing is you fixed it, so live and learn (and be thankful a new core was available).

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
561 Posts
... I work on cars for a living and never had that problem even after doing a hundred jobs or more dealing with the petcock valve. I'll always try to open the petcock before trying to take that bottom hose off especially when all I'm doing is changing the antifreeze.
Probably over 1,000 for me. Had issues with about 5. Usually the head snaps off and I can't get them out and I'm forced to take the bottom hose off. Only 2 didn't want to go back in. 1 had a swollen o-ring which was easily resolved, the other contorted the threads like yours did. Not a big enough risk for me to chance taking antifreeze showers by taking the hose off instead. Plus it makes a lot less of a mess on the shop floor, especially on the ones with a drain hose nipple.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts