The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am looking to rent a Grand Caravan for a long distance move, including an 8 foot couch. It is the only really large object I am moving. I want to be able to close the tailgate. Please let me know if you have had a similar experience with your vehicle. Thank you!

·
Latent car nut
9,235 Posts
Yes, you should easily be able to fit the sofa into the van.

·
Registered
492 Posts
the floor in the back is 48"x96" - provided you stow all the seats. As long as the couch isn't extraordinarily tall, it will fit.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I haul a full size 29" mountain bike in mine standing up with kickstand deployed along with 4 adults. This is around 6 1/2 to 7 foot bike. There is plenty of room in front of it to put 3 kids bikes sideways. I think you will be fine. The van its taller than a new suburban's rear opening.

·
Super Moderator
6,469 Posts
I know I'm going to go against the grain here, but I'd suggest you measure one first. Ours isn't home right now to measure, or I'd measure ours for you.

Measure from the back of the driver's seat setup for you, to the inside of the tailgate. The only way that 4'x8' sheets of plywood/drywall/whatever fit is by laying on the floor, and sliding under the front seats

·
Latent car nut
9,235 Posts
I hauled my in-laws 8' sofa from Cape Cod down to New York with at least two inches to spare. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, everyone, for all of the advice. Since I would be renting the van, I don't have one I can measure. The couch is about 30 inches at its tallest point. It also is leather and the side arms can be compressed a bit to possibly get it a little under 8 feet. If I remove the legs, it would be about 27.5 inches high. It's good to know a bike will fit, as we were thinking about bringing that as well if there is room. Am trying to move as many big things as I can for my college student. Round-trip minivan rental so far is the cheapest way to go.

·
Super Moderator
26,910 Posts
I would say it is tight and you should consider moving the front seat (s) ahead quite a bit.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hello, I am looking to rent a Grand Caravan for a long distance move, including an 8 foot couch. It is the only really large object I am moving. I want to be able to close the tailgate. Please let me know if you have had a similar experience with your vehicle. Thank you!
Have you ever heard of a measuring tape?

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
I know I'm going to go against the grain here, but I'd suggest you measure one first. Ours isn't home right now to measure, or I'd measure ours for you.

Measure from the back of the driver's seat setup for you, to the inside of the tailgate. The only way that 4'x8' sheets of plywood/drywall/whatever fit is by laying on the floor, and sliding under the front seats
I agree with this. I have transported 4 x 8 sheets in a 2009 TnC and the front seats had to be moved forward to fit the plywood. AND it did have to go under the seats (had to lift them all the way up to transport this stuff - it was a very uncomfortable trip home)

Maybe because it had electric seats and such (console was kinda in the way too)

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
14,309 Posts
A couple of months ago, I transported a big couch, half an inch longer and it would not fit.

Will measure it and post. Transported over 500 miles, not a bad trip.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
14,309 Posts
My couch was 90" armrest to armrest, power gate would not close by iyself, I had to help a little pushing it do ir can lock.

Hope this help.

2012 Town & Country.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Again, thank you to all who have contributed. It's very useful, especially since I do not own one of these vans. If this couch does not fit, our child will just take some different old furniture off our hands!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi I am the same situation today and want to check if u could move your couch closing the tailgate? Please help

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
2,437 Posts
Most couches would be too heavy for the roof rack. The rails are only rated to hold 88 lbs each.

As others have said, the true cargo length is a bit shorter than a full 8'. Things that are a full 8' must be tucked under the front seats. Levy's tight fitting couch was 90" which is 7'6". If it were something that could be laid in diagonally you may be able to fit 8', but not something large like a couch.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I just hauled an 89" sofa today with the back door closed, although I had the front seats way up which is tight for a 6'4" guy!

·
Vendor
1,577 Posts
I hauled 2 8’ tables flat on the floor, but they were SNUG to the front seats. A couch would be a no go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts