The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We purchased a brand new 2015 T/C. I am hearing dull clunking noise while driving
mostly while driving over small bumps. It's what I call a typical Unibody noise where a slightly worn bushing can resonate throughout the vehicle. Without looking I am assuming that The noise sounds like it is possibly coming from the rear shocks or sway bar bushings. We recently had 2 loaner 2014 T/C vans and both made similar noises but they had close to 30k on them. Our van has less than 200 miles on it and it has made it since we took ownership of it. I am curious if others experienced this dull clunking sound with brand new vans?

·
Registered
321 Posts
You may have correctly diagnosed the problem as shock noise. My '13 GC had a similar noise, and once I was able to get the dealer to hear it, they decided to replace a rear shock. That totally eliminated the noise. I think there's a service bulletin out on this, but I don't have the number.
Unfortunately, after an additional 10K miles (now at 33K), the noise has returned, so I need to get back in in the next couple of thousand miles to see if they'll replace the shock(s) again. It is really annoying, isn't it? Not a loud sound, just a constant dull clunk like you're driving an old car with a worn suspension.
Wonder who makes the MoPar shocks-If I have to replace the shocks myself, I don't want the same brand.

·
Super Moderator
6,467 Posts
Remove the dead bodies from the back.

That solved my problem.

In all seriousness though, this is a challenge I had with my Caliber for the first few years. It's not perfect now, (there's a new plastic rattle noise in the rear now) but it doesn't sound like a 30 year old car anymore. I had just about everything rebuilt under warranty in the front end - LCAs, mounts, shocks, struts, etc, etc

·
Registered
51 Posts
My new 2014 has a clunky noise coming from the Right sliding door. Its been in 2 x now heading back number 3x Each time they get it slightly better. This last visit they found a TSB for the clunky sliding door. I don't remember the dates on the TSB but figured I'd let you know about our issue.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks I did notice the right sliding door does not close flush at the top rear and it has some play in it when pushed at the rear top area.
I went to look at a dealership at about 10 other new vans and they all are the same way. The noise I am hearing is suspension related. I have been in the jeep/Chrysler service business since 1992. I have worked for dealerships. I am afraid to let them work on it I'll probably just check all of the fasteners myself to make sure they are all tight. Before I do that I may go test drive a few vans to see if they make the same noise. I looked at the procedure in the 2015 factory service manual to adjust the door. I see several things that they may end up making worse if they fool with it. Also it must be considered normal to be over flush since they all are the same way. I can probably find that tsb

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here is the TSB incase anyone has the issue with the door rattle

Subject
Rattle Noise From The Right Rear Sliding Door While Driving Over Bumps
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves modifying the rubber bumper located at the rear end of the right rear sliding door upper track.
MODELS:
2013 - 2014 RT Town And Country / Caravan
NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles built on or after December 6, 2012 (MDH 1206XX) and on or before April 30, 2014 (MDH 0430XX).
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
Rattle noise that sounds like metal against metal coming from the right rear sliding door area while driving over bumps.
DIAGNOSIS:
If the customer describes the symptom, perform the Repair Procedure.
REPAIR PROCEDURE:
1. Test drive the vehicle over bumps to verify that the rattle noise is coming from the right rear sliding door.
2. Pause the test drive stopping the vehicle at a safe location such as a parking lot.
3. Open the right rear sliding door and remove the rubber bumper (Fig. 1) from the rear
end of the upper door track, then close the door.
NUMBER: 23-016-14 GROUP: Body
DATE: July 09, 2014

23-016-14 -2-
1 - Rubber Bumper
Fig. 1 Remove Bumper
4. Continue test driving the vehicle over the same road conditions to determine if removal of the rubber bumper eliminated the rattle noise.
a. YES the rattle noise was eliminated. >>> Continue to Step #5.
b. NO the rattle noise was NOT eliminated. >>> Reinstall the rubber bumper. This
Bulletin does not apply. Further diagnosis is required.
5. Using a coarse file (2), remove 1 mm of material from the rubber bumper surface (1)
indicated in (Fig. 2).
1 - Rubber Bumper Surface 2 - Coarse File
-3- 23-016-14
Fig. 2 Modify Bumper
6. Install the modified rubber bumper to the vehicle.
NOTE: In the following step, ensure the paper is not positioned or trapped between the door and a door seal which will result in a false inaccurate tension resistance test.
7. Hold a piece of paper (1) in front of the rubber bumper (2). Make sure fingers and hands are clear of the door opening then shut the door while holding the paper in position (Fig. 3).
NOTE: There is an intended design clearance of approximately 1.8 mm between the rubber bumper and the sliding door inner panel.
8. Slowly pull the paper (3) while feeling for any tension or resistance on the paper during paper removal (Fig. 3). If tension or resistance was felt while removing the slip of paper, that would indicate a contact interference condition between the rubber bumper and the door inner panel.
a. YES, tension or resistance was felt. >>> Repeat the rubber bumper material removal Step #5 and retest clearance with the slip of paper until no tension or resistance is felt.
b. NO, tension or resistance was NOT felt. >>> Continue to Step #9.
23-016-14 -4-
1 - Position Paper
2 - Rubber Bumper
3 - Tension/Resistance Test
Fig. 3 Check Bumper Clearance
9. With the upper track rubber bumper installed, test drive the vehicle to verify that the rattle noise has been eliminated.
POLICY:
Reimbursable within the provisions of the warranty.
TIME ALLOWANCE:
Labor Operation No:
Description
Skill Category
Amount
23-41-43-92
Bumper, Sliding Door Upper Hinge Track - Verify Rattle Noise (0 - Low Skilled)
6 - Electrical and Body Systems
0.3 Hrs.
23-41-43-96
Bumper, Sliding Door Upper Hinge Track - Verify Noise and Modify (0 - Low Skilled)
6 - Electrical and Body Systems
0.5 Hrs.
FAILURE CODE:
ZZ
Service Action

·
Registered
921 Posts
Well join the crowd , we have had that since new on our 2014 . To me it almost sounds like the spare is loose but I know it's not so I don't know what it is .

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have a constant rattle on my 2014 with 960 miles that started about 4 days ago and is driving me crazy. Took it over to the dealer last night and had the tech sit in the third row to hear/find it while I drove. Within 400 feet on the street the tech found the noise and diagnosed it. It was the drivers side long halo light up inside the overhead console. It was loose and rattling around. I am bringing it in on Monday so they can hopefully fix without ordering parts.

Reactions: UN4GTBL

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks. I took a quick look only by looking under it and that was something I thought of and it was tight. I am going to need to put it up on one of my lifts to look any further. I am to old to be working on the ground.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Maybe strut mounts, had same issue with clunking or popping sound. Strut mounts fixed and now van is silent like new

·
Registered
1 Posts
T/C Owner

I have a 2015 TC that I purchased with about 28,000 miles on it It has just under 35,000 now and I am hearing the noise. I am having my suspension inspected in a few days. It is the most annoying sound in the world. Older vans all had problems with the strut towers rusting out. To the point where one good pot hole could punch your suspension straight into your engine compartment. I hope that isn't the case with my T/C. However, if it is a serious problem then maybe my wife will let me get rid of the testosterone sucking family hauler and get an SUV back.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Lol I don't think minivans are that bad for my man parts, but I am now getting some kind of suspension noise on my '14, I'll add it to the list for the next warranty visit.

·
Registered
512 Posts
My 15 GDC is nice and quiet so far. No Clunking or rattling. However I noticed that the third row seat backs, when not folded down, do move quite a bit or vibrate if you will, when going over rough roads and they do make a little bit of sound when they vibrate like this. But it is not clunking or rattling, it's very faint sort of rubbing sound.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Replaced my rear shocks at dealer warranty, still making same rear noise. 2015 now with 10,000 miles of noise, now the rear bumper step plate flew off in traffic, will see if Chrysler will replace it, maybe that was the noise all along.

·
Registered
229 Posts
May be totally unrelated but worth a mention I guess. I had a new '13 Ram that had a noise similar to what you're describing. Turns out the hood was ever so slightly out of adjustment and the bump stop tape was missing. I would have never guessed it was a hood noise; it sounded like a suspension part or something more substantial low toward the ground. But the dealer had it fixed in 30 minutes (apparently the tech had dealt with it before). Again, may be unrelated, but thought I would mention it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
WOW::: I went to my dealer in Murray, Ky. and the Service Manager looked at my lost rear bumper step and said that it would be replaced under warranty, the part was in stock and was replaced right now. Then I was due a oil change and they did that also. All this was done without an appointment. Then I noticed that my van was dripping water as I was walking out to it, guess what they WASHED it. What great service I didn't even have to argue about the lost step plate, I had just over 10,000 miles on the van. This dealer just opened a NEW building, beautiful, even the shop is air conditioned. This is what great service is all about, I will buy there again.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
glad to hear about your experience , that's the same way I feel about the dealer I use up here , before I bought my first GC I swore I would never buy a front wheel drive or a minivan or a Chrysler and I did it all in one purchase lol go big or go home huh .

·
Registered
59 Posts
Reviving an older thread to see if this problem was ever resolved. Because my 2013 T&C with less than 20k miles has always had the dull clunk coming from the front suspension. Mostly on the passenger side too.
I've taken it to the dealer and even drove around with a tech but for whatever reason the noise was seemingly quieter from the passenger seat. Nonetheless the ride ended before we could hear or pinpoint any noise. I'm really getting bored of the noise though and it would sure be nice to hear someone definitely say how they solved theirs.....

1 - 20 of 27 Posts