The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone noticed that the brake pads on their new 2003 Caravans appear to be wearing out pretty fast? I've only got 800kms on my new Caravan and I've noticed black crud (dust from the brake pads) cumulating around my tire rims on my front tires. The back tires remain clean.

jj

·
Premium Member
4,760 Posts
John, are your pads REALLY DOWN or are you just seeing alot of dust? I have a 2001 Grand Caravan and have 35,000 miles and the pads are only half way thru on the front and great in the rear. I did about 7500 mile trip out west and did alot of mountain driving with a FULL van. I check the brake pads regularly and the look GREAT.
If you are just seeing dust, that is NORMAL.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by DSMLVR@Sep 8 2003, 05:32 AM
John, are your pads REALLY DOWN or are you just seeing alot of dust? I have a 2001 Grand Caravan and have 35,000 miles and the pads are only half way thru on the front and great in the rear. I did about 7500 mile trip out west and did alot of mountain driving with a FULL van. I check the brake pads regularly and the look GREAT.
If you are just seeing dust, that is NORMAL.
I admit I haven't taken down the front wheels to have a look-see at the pads properly yet... I'm just seeing "evidence" of the "pad-wear-down" I suppose...

I've only got approx 470 miles on my vehicle and it's quite alarming that the pads should be 'wearing' down already. My dad's Acura had his first change of brake pads at 57,000 miles (7yrs later)... If cumulating black crud on the front tire rim is normal, then I'll live with that :)

jj

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
John, I have a 99 caravan with Alum Rims, and notice that the brake dust builds up quickly on the front rims, but have not had a problem with the brakes wearing out. So dont get to concerned about the dust.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts