The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I replaced the Rocker arms on my 2015 TC 3.6 i realized that those 13mm behind the Cam phasers were spinning freely. i assume these should be torqued to a spec, but i cannot find that information anywhere. Is anyone familiar with these bolts spinning freely? any suggestions or recommendations? thank you
1626505166714.png

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
2,702 Posts
Those are very important and, unfortunately, very common to find loose. They are the oil galley plugs for the head. Torque spec is very low at 9 ft/lbs, but I put about 20ft/lbs into them without issue. Manual says to use thread locker on them also.

·
Registered
2014 Town & Country
197 Posts
Yeah....one of mine had walked almost all the way out...Bank 1.

They were seated fine into Bank 2.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Those are very important and, unfortunately, very common to find loose. They are the oil galley plugs for the head. Torque spec is very low at 9 ft/lbs, but I put about 20ft/lbs into them without issue. Manual says to use thread locker on them also.
thank you very much that was what i needed to know. same as next post my rear oil galley plugs were spinning freely while the front pair were tight.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
2,702 Posts
Not sure what happened with bank 1, but they always seem to work loose on that head. Think there's only one report of the front ones coming loose.

·
Registered
2019 DGCGT flex fuel, 15K miles.
363 Posts
Does this problem seem related to certain years or does it happen across all years of the 3.6L?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Loctite and other Thread-Lockers are very important in these cases, but they must be used correctly. Cleaning and the use of primer in some cases is needed for them to work correctly. Then, the torque setting is maintained in spite of heating and cooling cycles. Needs to be a habit that is not skipped when building or assembling critical components.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
2,702 Posts
Does this problem seem related to certain years or does it happen across all years of the 3.6L?
Seems so. I have a 2013, Michalb has a 2014, this guy has a 2015. All of us had the same issue. There have been others too.

Reactions: Rick54301

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
What's required to remove to check these, just the valve cover? I need to replace at least one spark tube gasket anyway.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
2,702 Posts
Yeah, you can see them with just the valve cover off. It's a tight reach, but they are just under the cam phasers. When mine backed out the phaser held it from falling all the way out, to give you an idea of how close it is.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts