The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

Blind Spot Warning Indicator

177K views 62 replies 31 participants last post by  Carey 
#1 ·
Over the past 3 weeks or so my Blind Spot Warning system has intermittently stopped working. When it happens the EVIC will chime and display a message to the effect that the Blind Spot Warning System is unavailable. The left hand review mirror triangle will illuminate constantly.

Usually the mirror triangle will go out in several minutes and everything works normally again. Today it was non-functional for at least 10 minutes at which time I had reached my destination. I turned the vehicle off, waited 10-15 seconds and started it again, and the Blind Spot system was still inoperable. I returned to the vehicle several hours later, and it has worked normal since.

BTW, it doesn't seem to make any difference whether the van is dirty or clean.

Has anyone else experienced this, and is it setting any codes that would help the dealer find the problem without doing a trial and error exercise?

#2 ·
We don't have it on our van, but I think your best bet would be to try and get a picture or video of it happening the next time that it happens (Pull over and get this) and then you can show it to the dealer.

Hopefully its something simple

#4 ·
Silly question, but have you tried to update your radio firmware/software lately? I know it will disable the detection during the update process of the radio. Maybe the update didn't take effect? Also, maybe you could do a factory default reset on the radio? I am speaking of a 730N, you may not have the 730. Just a thought.

#6 ·
I had this happen twice. Once last winter, on an extremely slushy day, when a buildup of slush and ice accumulated over the sensor on the rear drivers side bumper. I ran it through the car wash the same afternoon to clean it off, and after restarting, had no problems. The second time was this past summer, driving from Buffalo, NY to Indianapolis, IN. I was in the far left lane, and there was a concrete barrier pretty close on the left, and tractor trailer on the right. Not sure if the sensors were bouncing signals off both objects and detecting each other, making it detect something was wrong, but we stopped for gas 15-20 minutes later and when I restarted, everything was fine. It has never happened since for me. I do know what your talking about however, I had the same message appear on my EVIC. I try to keep my van immaculately clean, and wash it 3+ times week, if that helps..

-Chris

#9 ·
Just food for thought... Just because the "outside" of the bumper is clean, doesnt mean the "inside" of the bumper is clean... (so the area between the bumper and the metal rear quarter panel where the BSM sensor is located) If there is dirt or debris between there (excessive roadspray, gravel dust, dirt, etc) it CAN effect the operation of those sensors... By NO MEANS am I saying to take off your bumber cover, but see if you can get on the ground and look up (move splash shield) if you need to and see if that area is clean!

#11 ·
That's a great idea. Do you know exactly where the sensors are? It is my understanding that they are behind the rear quarter panels, not the bumper. The sensors in the bumper are for the back-up system.

I'll crawl under there tomorrow and see what I can see.

#12 ·
You are correct! The 4 Rear Facing Sensors in the bumper are for the Park Assist System. The BSM Sensors are located on the left and right side of the rear of the vehicle in the quarter panels, I believe... :blink:

You may not be able to see the sensors, but at least you can try and see the area between the inside of the bumper cover and the quarter panel and see how dirty/clean it is...

#13 ·
OK, I looked up into the rear quarter panels and found the sensors. Technically they are on the inside of the rear bumper cover (plastic) that wraps around the sides and serves as the quarter panels. The surrounding area was amazingly clean, which is no surprise sense I've never driven it on a muddy road and have it washed regularly at a car wash that has an under-body spray.

The left side has wiring that attaches to the sensor via a connector and does the right side. On the right side there is another connector just behind the wheel well. My theory du jour is that one of these connectors might be intermittent. The connectors don't appear to be very well sealed against moisture. They aren't hard to get at, but not while I'm lying on my back on the garage floor. Van really needs to be on a lift to properly get at them.

#14 ·
my 2011 T&C also has the blind spot lights on. first just one, then both. cleaned the undercarriage around the sensor several times. trip to the dealer for the computer diagnostics reported "internal malfunction of blind spot system module" Part alone is $985. Yes, 985 is not a typo. Plus labor and tax. The mechanic made no attempt to look at the sensor in the 1/4 panel/bumper area. I thought electronic components were all or nothing so lights wouldn't come on and off periodically. I could not find any fuse dedicated to the blind spot detection system.
Would the system reset if I disconnect one of the battery cables? Other ideas?

#15 ·
Holy cow, that's serious money. My BSM has only malfunctioned once in the last 9(?) months. I think it may be worse in the winter than when it's warm, but I don't have any hard data. The van now has about 76,000 miles on it, and if it's going to fail, I hope it does before 100K while I still have a bumper to bumper warranty.

#20 ·
Just curious, but did you ever find out what the problem was? For the last 3-4 days, the drivers side blind spot indicator has remained on for the entire drive to work, even with open field to the left, and then "warns" me when I use my left signal. I also looked underneath, clean as a whistle. No warnings on the DIC. It's going back Thursday for the rough idle and check engine light that keeps coming back (multiple cylinder misfire), I guess I'll have them check this too. Ugh, getting really tired of the problems with this thing... :angry:

#21 ·
using the ol' noggin

NE Michigan. After taking my non functioning BSWI 2011 van to 3 different service places with their big strong men, computer diagnostics, car hoists and $80 per hour fees I was told there was an internal modular failure. Being on the angry side myself, this little ( well maybe not little) inferior middle aged lady slithered around on the snow (don't need a creeper it ya got snow), stuck my face under the quarter panel for the melting ice and mud to drip in my face and looked for the module attached to the inside of said quarter panel at the same level as the muffler. Any idiot can see that the wire harness leading from the other sensors along the bumper going to the Module had come loose/detached so the wiring cable was rubbing against the sharper edge of the quarter panel wearing a spot down to bare wire. With the cable harness loose and flopping around it could hold ice and snow until the weight on the cable was so much it was further pulling the cable down and stretching it more to rub more to wear more and eventually pull on the plug into the module. .........
I also looked online for a diagram of the whole system and saw that the $985 estimate for repaired would have been a new wire harness also.......duhhhh. And even more fun, when I pointed the need for the cable to be secured in some way so as to not flop around the expert technician told me "it was designed that way". So if I can find a heated garage to dry it out I will clean and dry the worn area, seal it and dry out the plug. Maybe something positive will result. In the mean time get out your black electrical tape, cut out a triangle and apply over the annoying lights in the side mirrors.

#23 ·
NE Michigan. After taking my non functioning BSWI 2011 van to 3 different service places with their big strong men, computer diagnostics, car hoists and $80 per hour fees I was told there was an internal modular failure. Being on the angry side myself, this little ( well maybe not little) inferior middle aged lady slithered around on the snow (don't need a creeper it ya got snow), stuck my face under the quarter panel for the melting ice and mud to drip in my face and looked for the module attached to the inside of said quarter panel at the same level as the muffler. Any idiot can see that the wire harness leading from the other sensors along the bumper going to the Module had come loose/detached so the wiring cable was rubbing against the sharper edge of the quarter panel wearing a spot down to bare wire. With the cable harness loose and flopping around it could hold ice and snow until the weight on the cable was so much it was further pulling the cable down and stretching it more to rub more to wear more and eventually pull on the plug into the module. .........
I also looked online for a diagram of the whole system and saw that the $985 estimate for repaired would have been a new wire harness also.......duhhhh. And even more fun, when I pointed the need for the cable to be secured in some way so as to not flop around the expert technician told me "it was designed that way". So if I can find a heated garage to dry it out I will clean and dry the worn area, seal it and dry out the plug. Maybe something positive will result. In the mean time get out your black electrical tape, cut out a triangle and apply over the annoying lights in the side mirrors.
Fyi, you can just turn off the blind spot monitoring via the system settings, the little triangles will go out. Just scroll down on the menu and select the appropriate setting

#22 ·
Glad to hear you found the solution to your problem. I had the dealer look at mine this week, and they ordered new sensors (modules) for both sides. One of the service writers told me mine was the 5th one having problems within the past couple weeks, and new improved sensors will correct the problem. He did say they were expensive, so your estimate may not be far off. Luckily mine is still under warranty. Hope your fix works, if not, new sensors may also be in your future. Good luck! :thumb:

#24 ·
I have been experiencing the same issues so for now I have turned off the system via the user settings. I located both sensors and unclipped them from the inner bumper, cleaned both and removed all dirt build-up. I also cleaned the inside of the bumper cover. Nothing worked, its very easy to replace the sensors yourself, hopefully you don't need a Chrysler computer to calibrate/sync the new sensors. I have some clout with the local dealership so I will call with the part number and see what they actually cost (same part# right or left).

#28 ·
blind spot detector

"Yes, my blind spot detector at first intermittently became "unavailable" and now went on the blink. I had it checked at the dealership and the detector has failed and needs to be replaced along with the control module at a cost of $1300 because it is out of warranty."

#29 ·
I just purchased our 2011 and the BS monitors were stuck "on". Told the dealership that it was an issue and they are going to fix and replace whatever is wrong.... I am sure (from what others have had) that it is probably a module that needs to be replaced.

Their wonderful detailer also dropped a garage door on the hood..... so getting that all fixed up too....

#31 ·
If you have the time would you ask them to point out where the blind spot module is located? The sensors are in the back taillight lens along the out side edge.
But were is the module?
thanks
The only modules that I could find specifically listed as Collision Avoidance (BSM) were the 2 sensors in the back bumper fascia (68036233AF)

#32 ·
Just checking in, our pass side OFTEN (no rhyme or reason) glows dim constant and when in this mode will alarm on right signal. Also has another probably related faulty situation where it only glows instead of fully lighting on detection.

Since it works correctly more often than not only a minor inconvenience. I will get it fixed someday, just no hurry.

#33 ·
I have the same problem with my BSM system. It started this past winter and now both mirrors stay on 24/7. No other ideas? The warranty is gone on our 2011 so I may just shut the feature off since it's not worth $1000 more dollars. I also have both of the side mirrors LED's go bad. I wonder if this could have caused a problem with the BSM? I would guess no.

Dave

#34 ·
Update

My system is also shot. I removed both sensors and cleaned entire area of inside fascia. Nothing worked so I turned off the system thinking that would solve the problem. What a fool to think that....yes, it turned off the orange triangles on the mirror. However, a month later The park assist system and compass stopped working. Found fuse m34 under hood blown, replaced it and continues to blow. I went back to the 2 blind spot sensors and they both were swollen and smelled terribly of burned electronics. In fact, one of the harnesses was so bad the wire casings had melted and the wires were shorting each other. Once I actually removed both sensors and then individually taped all the bare wires my fuse blowing issue was eliminated. In speaking with my local dealer he said he had 5 sets of these sensors on order for customers. This is just a junk system and the fact they try to charge you $795 per sensor is a joke when its clearly an obvious design issue where these sensors cannot handle the weather. I recommend to anyone who starts to have the problem and doesn't want to pay for the sensors to climb in there and unplug them!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.