The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '94 Caravan is usually good for 15-17 mpg in around town travel. On the highway 22-23 is the norm. I recently found a '92 Voyager with the same drivetrain, and am considering making it a mileage test mule (gutted interior, remove A/C, etc.).

I'm just wondering if anyone here has managed to squeeze more mpg out of this combo, or if I'm planning a lot of work for nothing.

Aaron

·
Super Moderator
22,243 Posts
My 2002 GC Sport with 3.3 can give me better than 27 mpig on highway trips with no passengers, with seats still in, with light load (less than 50 lbs of luggage) and driving at 110 km/hr speed limits or a bit more. Best in the warmer weather prior to air conditioning use.
27.5 mpig x .833 = 22.9 mpg This is from actual calculations, not the computer. Computer will likely show 1 - 2 mpig more, very seldom the same as calculated.
Unless you change the aerodynamics, I don't think you will see anything substantial. To save you the work, put a couple hundred lbs of weight in it and see if there is any difference. If there is, then reducing weight will likely show the same results. For example, if that additional weight made 0.5 mpg difference, then reducing weight should make about the same difference in the opposite direction.

·
Senior Global Moderator
2,800 Posts
My '94 Caravan is usually good for 15-17 mpg in around town travel. On the highway 22-23 is the norm. I recently found a '92 Voyager with the same drivetrain, and am considering making it a mileage test mule (gutted interior, remove A/C, etc.).

I'm just wondering if anyone here has managed to squeeze more mpg out of this combo, or if I'm planning a lot of work for nothing.

Aaron
I can count on 16-18 city and anywhere between 22-24 on the highway depending on speed, use of air conditioning, driving conditions, etc.... I normally average around 18 mpg in the winter (10-15F avg) and 20-21 mpg in summer (80F avg)

·
Senior Global Moderator
2,800 Posts
I can count on 16-18 city and anywhere between 22-24 on the highway depending on speed, use of air conditioning, driving conditions, etc.... I normally average around 18 mpg in the winter (10-15F avg) and 20-21 mpg in summer (80F avg)
Well, shut my mouth wide open; I filled up the Voyager today and found I got 22.79 MPG on a tank of mixed driving (60% highway, 40% city). Best MPG I have gotten in years according to my records; it beats my 22.58 I got last June. Hopefully I can break that record a few more times this year.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've got the same engine, but in a 2000 Voyager.

With the seams taped, and using the cruise at about 55, I was able to get 35 mpg without any trouble. I'd imagine that with tubbing the van, overinflating the tires, and driving more carefully, you should be able to do 40-45 mpg.

The easiest way to get better mileage, in my experience, is to slow down. Cruising aroung the back roads in Ontario, going 50ish mph, I had no problem getting 30mpg, without using the cruise control, and with plenty of stopping. Of course, nobody wants to slow down, and the other drivers may want to kill you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts