The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Wow... there's a giant smilee on my screen picking his nose ... LOL

I can't advise you what you ought to do, but I CAN advise you what NOT to do. The headliner on my 06 was starting to look more like a curtain over my front windshield... I knew that I was gonna be pulling down the entire headboard in a couple of months, so I just wanted something to get me to that point...

I shop-vac'd the loose foam out from under the liner and then glued the front of the liner back up with some gorilla-brand spray glue. It was an undeniable success!

For 2 days.

Then it fell back down again, lol. Pretty sure using that style of glue was the bigger part of my failure, but I suspect that trying to re-glue these headliners back up is a losing battle...

-- Ed

·
Registered
9 Posts
Whether you plan on keeping it or selling it, nothing worse than a sagging headliner. I had a local guy do mine for $300. Drop it off in the morning, pick it up in the afternoon. That is the one interior job I don't mind paying someone to do it right. They have the materials and equipment. 2006 T&C with 174K and will drive it to it's grave!

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
9,318 Posts
Just as a general comment.

I never had that problem on any vehicle, and I live where temperature rises to 105 °F + during summer.

But, I always keep my AC on, summer or otherwise. Never drive with windows open. Open windows kill your headliner.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've had a lot of these vans, and they all have the sagging headliner here in FL. What I do is tear off all the old material and foam, and paint it with a roller and Behr interior paint. It looks great when you're done, and will never sag again.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi all,
A little over a year ago, I noticed the headliner in my 2001 Chrysler Town & Country was sagging a bit over the driver seat. I'm disabled and cannot fix it myself otherwise I would've taken care of it right away. I asked a couple of friends to help fix it but they were always too busy. Anyway, now almost the entire headliner is sagging and looks like it's separated from the vent that's over the passenger side sliding door. I see there are quite a few adhesives on the market to repair headliners, is there one y'all would recommend? To apply the adhesives, does the foam backing have to be removed from the van first? Any idea on how much it would cost to have it repaired professionally, to be brought back to as newish looking as possible?

Thanks in advance for any info!
I had my professionally done for about $250. This is a messy job and much harder than it looks, especially to get it to look good.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
9,318 Posts
I've had a lot of these vans, and they all have the sagging headliner here in FL. What I do is tear off all the old material and foam, and paint it with a roller and Behr interior paint. It looks great when you're done, and will never sag again.
Only happens to those who are trying to cheap out by not using the AC.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi all,
A little over a year ago, I noticed the headliner in my 2001 Chrysler Town & Country was sagging a bit over the driver seat. I'm disabled and cannot fix it myself otherwise I would've taken care of it right away. I asked a couple of friends to help fix it but they were always too busy. Anyway, now almost the entire headliner is sagging and looks like it's separated from the vent that's over the passenger side sliding door. I see there are quite a few adhesives on the market to repair headliners, is there one y'all would recommend? To apply the adhesives, does the foam backing have to be removed from the van first? Any idea on how much it would cost to have it repaired professionally, to be brought back to as newish looking as possible?

I've had good luck with 3M Super 77.

·
Registered
412 Posts
T-pins work really well. box of 100 from walmart is uner $3. Just tack them where needed. These stay put too. no glues, smells nor mess.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi all,

·
Registered
6 Posts
The only good way to tackle this problem is to replace the headliner. Adhesives will not work because the foam backing is deteriorated. Thus you can not bond to anything substantial.
You might be able to use some type of "button" with a metal ''pin" that could be attached to heavy cardboard or even a small piece of wood that could be glued to the bottom side of the roof. (This is just a band aid, however!)

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have also seen little clear buttons with a little wire corkscrew that would look better than the pictured ones above.
I suppose they are specifically for this purpose, headliner secure.

Upholstery "twist pins" at Walmart $7

I'm with Levy on this though, life is so much better having just done it right.

If you do it though, what will almost make it acceptable, is to measure and install them even and neatly. Random installation will make your van look so devalued and shabby.
déclassé
I bought these awhile back.

Have yet to use them; but I'm sure I will to buy some time.
Alternatively, has anyone just removed the headliner and left it? I have a 2002 GC ES
and it is pretty beat up now with peeling clear coat on the outside. Might as well go minimal on the inside :p
Got any pics of a stripped Gen 4 interior roof?

·
Registered
6 Posts
If Levy is right, then I'm moving to Mexico!

What I don't understand is that this headliner problem has been with us for many years, as my '81 Chevy Caprice had the same issue. Why, Oh why, are they still using the same type of fabric, is a question as old as Jeepman! Note, I'm 73, and am I the oldest forum member?

Better yet, why are they still using plastic headlight lenses that get cataracts (cloud up). Of note, we could actually go back to glass and eliminate the problem.

Will all the old guys please stand up!

·
Registered
41 Posts
So ... What I wanna know is: what kind of adhesive did they use to attach all of those bills to the ceiling?

Or, maybe the used a whole lotta t-pins ?

:unsure:

21 - 40 of 45 Posts
About this Discussion
44 Replies
20 Participants
FabricGATOR
The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums
ChryslerMinivan.net is the best forum for Chrysler Town and Country owners to discuss mileage, price, problems, towing and more. Join now!
Full Forum Listing