The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Chrysler Town and Country Touring
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all:

I want to replace my missing battery blanket.

If I disconnect the battery to install the blanket, when the battery is re-connected will my 430 radio system think it's stolen?

I bought the van used and don't have a PIN for the Infotainment system.

Thanks.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I disconnected mine when I changed the battery in front of the dealership, and another time to try to fix a radio-cutting-out issue. Nothing changed either time. No power window issue, no radio presets forgotten, no music forgotten, no navigation data lost, time of day not lost, no noticeable difference in transmission behavior. No problems at all.

·
Super Moderator
23,268 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's good to hear. My buddy, Steve the Viking, has owned a BMW and an Acura and he ran in to trouble with both of them having radios complaining that they would no longer work until reset by the dealer after he did battery changes. Steve the Viking left them that way though, he didn't care if the radios worked or not.

Also, good to see on replacement radios how easy it is to get the code from a dealership. I do want to upgrade from my 430 to the 430n sometime within the next few months.

My van does seem to have all of the original paperwork, I'll check to see if the radio PIN is i there. I never really cracked the owners manual because I'd already read it on line.

·
Super Moderator
23,268 Posts
That's good to hear. My buddy, Steve the Viking, has owned a BMW and an Acura and he ran in to trouble with both of them having radios complaining that they would no longer work until reset by the dealer after he did battery changes. Steve the Viking left them that way though, he didn't care if the radios worked or not.

Also, good to see on replacement radios how easy it is to get the code from a dealership. I do want to upgrade from my 430 to the 430n sometime within the next few months.

My van does seem to have all of the original paperwork, I'll check to see if the radio PIN is i there. I never really cracked the owners manual because I'd already read it on line.
Yes, I have experience with a 2004 Acura TSX and it has a radio pin (4 digits) that has to be reset after a battery disconnect.

So, you have read the Owner Manual. Now for the test:
How do you get your signal lights to blink three times? :)

·
Registered
2009 GCV SE
133 Posts
Maybe you could contact Chrysler or dodge and ask for the code? Thankfully on the 2008-2010 years there was no antitheft system on these radios, but apparently 2011 and newer...

·
Registered
114 Posts
Maybe you could contact Chrysler or dodge and ask for the code? Thankfully on the 2008-2010 years there was no antitheft system on these radios, but apparently 2011 and newer...
Do newer ones have a code? I have a 2019 with the 430N and I don't remember it having a code. I looked at the manual for the radio (114 pages) and there is no mention of a security code.

·
Super Moderator
23,268 Posts
I guess the person that steals your radio will have to have a code to install it in another vehicle. That's the security. So, if you don't steal your own radio, you are ok.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
11,014 Posts
I guess the person that steals your radio will have to have a code to install it in another vehicle. That's the security. So, if you don't steal your own radio, you are ok.
If you wanted to steal a radio:

1. Find your victim.
  2. Get the VIN from the "donor" vehicle.
  3. Steal the radio.
  4. Call a dealership and ask for the code, you already have all the info you need.
Are those radios very secure, really?

Maybe we should remove those secret numbers from the radio, then cover the VIN number from your dash, just in case.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Washington state forbids obscuring VINs, it's a misdemeanor. I don't know though if anyone's bothering to enforce it. Maybe Camas. Cops there are eager to pull folks over and write tickets.

·
Super Moderator
23,268 Posts
Washington state forbids obscuring VINs, it's a misdemeanor. I don't know though if anyone's bothering to enforce it. Maybe Camas. Cops there are eager to pull folks over and write tickets.

Not now days. They have to keep 6 foot distant. :)

·
Registered
2009 GCV SE
133 Posts
Do newer ones have a code? I have a 2019 with the 430N and I don't remember it having a code. I looked at the manual for the radio (114 pages) and there is no mention of a security code.
I cannot confirm but I saw a post earlier on facebook about someone having this "code" issue, hey had the base AM/FM radio, and they got that "Code" screen after battery replacement. I don't know how many vehicles this applies to, their van was a newer 5'th gen (2011-2019) And they did not change the radio out of their van.

Attachments

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Not now days. They have to keep 6 foot distant. :)
At this point I'm not even sure I can go out and look at my van. One of my neighbors might walk by.

Now I'm for real trapped in my house for two weeks. I have enough food though so I don't have to go shopping.

·
Super Moderator
23,268 Posts
At this point I'm not even sure I can go out and look at my van. One of my neighbors might walk by.

Now I'm for real trapped in my house for two weeks. I have enough food though so I don't have to go shopping.
Here, two major grocery store chains are open at 7:00 am to 8:00 am just for Seniors and Handicapped.

Some big flakes of snow falling out there now, major rain expected later on. A stay in the house day regardless.

Post #5, the answer is:.
• Tap the lever up or down once and the turn signal (right or left) will flash three times and automatically turn off.
I didn't notice that until recently. o_O

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I should try that. As it is I keep forgetting I have some control of the radio from buttons on the steering wheel.

I'm out of bread and I'm down to just one package of ramen noodles but otherwise I have plenty of food. I went shopping Saturday and there was no bread, pasta, rice, beans, or ramen noodles to be had. There was a some soup, though not much. I also went shopping a week ago Friday, there was no hamburger, bread, rice, pasta, beans, or soup. There was some ramen noodles so I bought five of them. There were only two flavors though and less than a dozen of each.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I cannot confirm but I saw a post earlier on facebook about someone having this "code" issue, hey had the base AM/FM radio, and they got that "Code" screen after battery replacement. I don't know how many vehicles this applies to, their van was a newer 5'th gen (2011-2019) And they did not change the radio out of their van.
Interesting. I don't know how the radio would know the difference between a battery disconnect and a reinstall. I did a battery replacement on my 2017 Journey which has the 840N and no code was required.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
11,014 Posts
Interesting. I don't know how the radio would know the difference between a battery disconnect and a reinstall. I did a battery replacement on my 2017 Journey which has the 840N and no code was required.
It doesn't.

If you do a solid battery connection, you shouldn't have a problem.

But if you don't (couple of sparks when connecting the last cable), then you might have problems.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts