The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone figured out how to hack the back up camera so that it displays while the car is in drive? This would be great to see the license plate of tailgaters. I’m wondering if it is possible. Dodge Grand Caravan 2019

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
2,437 Posts
The MyGig Lockpick can do that on stock radios. Aftermarket head units can be wired to display the cam on a switch that tricks the unit into think the van is in reverse.

Or you can put an aftermarket cam on and have it wired to its own screen. Might actually be effective if it's a big screen facing out the back glass. :p

Reactions: Duster991

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
2,437 Posts
Even I have issues with tailgaters. And a heavier shoe doesn't help the car in front of you move either.

Reactions: Pgh_AL

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
2,437 Posts
Pictures or video taken of a rear camera showing the license plate of a car following too close could be sent to police. It wouldn't help in an immediate fashion, but a warning in the mail might get some to back off.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
14,309 Posts
Pictures or video taken of a rear camera showing the license plate of a car following too close could be sent to police. It wouldn't help in an immediate fashion, but a warning in the mail might get some to back off.
As if police will even care!

Can you record out of that camera?

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
2,437 Posts
With the right adapter, yes. There's a Scosche adapter to turn the rearview cam harness to a standard RCA plug. My Android radio has a DVR app that can record it and a 2nd cam.

Reactions: Duster991

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
14,309 Posts
With the right adapter, yes. There's a Scosche adapter to turn the rearview cam harness to a standard RCA plug. My Android radio has a DVR app that can record it and a 2nd cam.
Yes, with right adapter!

But then, it would be better to install an Aftermarket system capable of record 24/7 without your intervention.

OE camera is not near of good quality.

Mine have a hardrive enclosed in a bulletproof/fireproof box (kind like a black box) secured to the vehicle floor. Cameras for the front, rear and passenger area, with microphones. It will automatically upload videos to my PC when vehicle is close enough.

·
Vendor
1,577 Posts
Our police wouldn’t care. I couldn’t even get them to call a contractor to pick up his stuff from my yard weeks after he left it all. Told me that was my problem and nothing illegal had been done. I considered it dumping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
2,437 Posts
Sounds like abandoned property and therefore yours to sell. :p

Cops might not do anything, but if the get repeated reports of the same people, they will watch them. Cops are lazy, they don't want to go after the hard to catch prey. They want the stupid repeat offenders so its easier to catch them in the act.

With just a plate there's not much they can do anyway. They can issue warnings, but without a face shot to prove who the driver is they can't mail a ticket. Most you can hope for is to get them on the cops' sh!t list.

·
Vendor
1,577 Posts
Sounds like abandoned property and therefore yours to sell. :p

Cops might not do anything, but if the get repeated reports of the same people, they will watch them. Cops are lazy, they don't want to go after the hard to catch prey. They want the stupid repeat offenders so its easier to catch them in the act.

With just a plate there's not much they can do anyway. They can issue warnings, but without a face shot to prove who the driver is they can't mail a ticket. Most you can hope for is to get them on the cops' sh!t list.
If it had been with selling, I would have. Probably been arrested for stealing too…..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
14,309 Posts
They can issue warnings, but without a face shot to prove who the driver is they can't mail a ticket. Most you can hope for is to get them on the cops' sh!t list.
No such list.

To be effective, it should be a centralized list, where they can enter a plate and immediately see this person is a tailgater, do you really think they will bother to start such a list? Ha, ha, keep dreaming!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts