The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there
Recently had to open up door panel to fix broken glass regulator. And I've witnessed the OEM speakers I have...
If I'm gonna replace front door speakers with some 100$ Pioneer ones without touching the head unit and panel tweaker (looks like a lot of work or am I wrong?), would that give me a lot if improvement or not really? Or do I have to invest more? Thoughts?

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
2,702 Posts
Panel tweaker? You mean tweeter? :p If you're talking about the ones in the corner of the dash, those are actually full range. Michalb posted on a different thread that 2002-2007 Ram truck speakers work great for those. They are pretty easy to change too. The panel they are under just pops up (removing the A pillar covers might help) and it's 2 screws per speaker. If you have the 10 speaker system, you'll also have another in the center of the dash.

No clue if those will be any good. From my experience, Pioneer doesn't make good sounding stuff. They were on top of there game, along with Kenwood (there's another big brand that was good then but sucks now, but the name eludes me now), back in the 80s. Back in college a friend of mine had a full matched Pioneer system and was shocked that my Durabrand (now defunct Wal-Mart store brand) head unit attached to 2 6x9 Lighting Audio, 2 3.5" Sony Xplodes, and 2 8" Panasonic tube subs put out much better sound. My system cost a total of about $250, his was over $700.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I need to admit that I'm such a lazy bastard - I didn't even count amount of speakers I have - I thought all vans have same package of them...
I got 3 small ones in front on the dash panel, two on the sides, one in center. I thought it's a bummer to get there, but if the panel is easy removable, need to change my mind on that. Thank you!

Pioneers were just an example. My question was how bad are OEM ones actually, so is there any point if removing them with some 100$ speakers or do I have to buy more expensive ones to feel the difference?

·
Registered
2009 GCV SE
1,264 Posts
Panel tweaker? You mean tweeter? :p If you're talking about the ones in the corner of the dash, those are actually full range.
In the base 6 speaker system they are a tweeter only, they have a bass block cylinder attached to them to prevent damage, photo below. In comparison, the base 6 speaker system dash speakers are actually 1.5 inch or 1 inch, and have a adapter bracket to fit the dash. In the premium infinity system however, the dash speakers are the full hole, 3.5 inch speakers and are full range and no bass block is present. I've sent low frequencies to to them and they handled them just fine.

I need to admit that I'm such a lazy bastard - I didn't even count amount of speakers I have - I thought all vans have same package of them...
I got 3 small ones in front on the dash panel, two on the sides, one in center. I thought it's a bummer to get there, but if the panel is easy removable, need to change my mind on that. Thank you!

Pioneers were just an example. My question was how bad are OEM ones actually, so is there any point if removing them with some 100$ speakers or do I have to buy more expensive ones to feel the difference?
Well, actually no. The premium audio system features 3 dash speakers, but in the 6 speaker base system there are 2 corner dash tweeters and no center. And in the base 4 speaker version, there are no dash speakers, the 3 speaker dash grille panel is on every van no matter how many speakers it has. Same with the rear D-pillar's the panel looks like there is a speaker is there (and it is on premium 10 speaker system only), but if it's a 6 or 4 speaker system it's a piece of felt in place instead.

Those door speakers are the base speakers, you either have the 4 or 6 speaker system. And if you have the 4 speaker system, the wiring is present for the corner dash speakers, it is taped to the main harness, you can find them.

The 6 speaker system wires the dash speakers in parallel with the door speaker on that side, it has a bass block right up on the connector of the tweeter. You see it in the photo below, the silver cylinder on the connector piece.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
2,702 Posts
If you have the subwoofer you will have the 10 speaker system. If not, you have the 6 speaker system and there is not a speaker in the center spot, nor a connector for one. Only listing I found for the speaker above that mentions either says it is for the 6 speaker system. The 10 speaker system is supposed to have better speakers, but they run on an amp.

Edit: ^^^ He said it better. I said it shorter. :p

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Grills don't always mean there's a speaker in there.

My mom's 92 Olds 88 had speaker grills in the rear doors, but none of the trim levels had speakers in there at all.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I have replaced factory speakers in a number of my cars over the years, including the rears in my '12 TC Touring L. Some sound improvement over factory speakers, so I think it was worth the investment (if you do your own install). Generally it is best to stick with low to mid priced high efficiency speakers if you are keeping the stock stereo head unit. Buying higher end speakers with stock head unit is a waste, and may actually sound worse (due to low power of stock amp). Crutchfield is a decent web site to check out, and their advice is usually pretty reasonable.

·
Registered
2009 GCV SE
1,264 Posts
I have replaced factory speakers in a number of my cars over the years, including the rears in my '12 TC Touring L. Some sound improvement over factory speakers, so I think it was worth the investment (if you do your own install). Generally it is best to stick with low to mid priced high efficiency speakers if you are keeping the stock stereo head unit. Buying higher end speakers with stock head unit is a waste, and may actually sound worse (due to low power of stock amp). Crutchfield is a decent web site to check out, and their advice is usually pretty reasonable.
My suggestion is, look on the corner dash through the windshield to see if there is a speaker there or not. If not, you will have better sound finding that tweeter connector and hooking up either the original factory tweeter from a salvage vehicle, or an aftermarket one. Remember that it's run as a parallel circuit. Especially since the wiring is there for it, you could find it looking up through the driver footwell with ease, the passenger side isn't as easy.

That panel is actually very easy to remove. Grab a trim tool, and pry the part along the dash up, clips are all along that side. Then, grab one side (doesn't matter which one), and pull straight towards the back. The rest of the clips will come undone, the panel is then pushed back into place to be re-installed, and pushed down along the dash. It's really easy to remove and re-install.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the hint, I will check that Crutchfield. But maybe you can suggest something? I'm kinda confused about having OEM speakers of 15W , but almost everything in stock for sale is 300-700W... If I put some Pioneers with 500W would work fine or would head unit be unable to power them fully?

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Power handling capacity is different than sensitivity. I don't think I've ever seen sensitivity of stock speakers, but the higher the number, usually in the 90s db/watt/foot or something like that, is what you'll want.

These 6x9 speakers have a sensitivity of 92 (1 watt at 1 meter). They can handle up to 450 watts without failing. So are built a lot stronger than a stock speaker, but the volume level at any given power is likely pretty similar to a stock speaker (if it can handle it). There is also RMS power. I am not super clear on that rating, but I think it's either kind of where it peaks in sound quality before more power starts to degrade the quality, or it's the most power that it will take on a continuous manner and be expected to live a long time. The peak power ratings aren't where you want to be constantly driving it.

Reactions: Marsh_SD

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Power handling capacity is different than sensitivity. I don't think I've ever seen sensitivity of stock speakers, but the higher the number, usually in the 90s db/watt/foot or something like that, is what you'll want.

These 6x9 speakers have a sensitivity of 92 (1 watt at 1 meter). They can handle up to 450 watts without failing. So are built a lot stronger than a stock speaker, but the volume level at any given power is likely pretty similar to a stock speaker (if it can handle it). There is also RMS power. I am not super clear on that rating, but I think it's either kind of where it peaks in sound quality before more power starts to degrade the quality, or it's the most power that it will take on a continuous manner and be expected to live a long time. The peak power ratings aren't where you want to be constantly driving it.

Thanks
I'm actually thinking abut those ones
Their sensitivity is 86dB , also I found them on Amazon for 120$. And I had multiple Pioneers in previous cars and had positive experience with it

I've checked and looks like I have 6 speaker system. I pray Im not gonna need extra mounting for tweeters, still can't find picture of original ones, will keep looking

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Since the 6x9's produce all the bass in the van, unless you are adding a subwoofer, I would look for units that do not have a bass blocker on the woofer. Those Pioneers have this. TBH, I'm not real sure what it is. Wire wrapped around a rod, maybe a magnet? Maybe ask Pioneer what that does.

The stock speaker doesn't appear to have anything like it.

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Grand Carvan
9 Posts
I change the stock 6 speakers to infinity 3 way Refence but did change out the stock stereo for a Kenwood 10.5" Screen sounds incredible.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Since the 6x9's produce all the bass in the van, unless you are adding a subwoofer, I would look for units that do not have a bass blocker on the woofer. Those Pioneers have this. TBH, I'm not real sure what it is. Wire wrapped around a rod, maybe a magnet? Maybe ask Pioneer what that does.

The stock speaker doesn't appear to have anything like it.

View attachment 62654
I believe it's a high frequencies stopper, the same as other ones have in a separate box to separate frequincies to tweeter and speaker

·
Registered
203 Posts
If replacing just the stock speakers I would look for something with a higher sensitivity than those Pioneers (86dB). I would look for something spec'ed at 90 or above. Stock amp is pretty weak to drive lower sensitivity speakers.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If replacing just the stock speakers I would look for something with a higher sensitivity than those Pioneers (86dB). I would look for something spec'ed at 90 or above. Stock amp is pretty weak to drive lower sensitivity speakers.
Technically you are correct. But in real life those 91-92dB of some cheap speakers doesn't equal same 92dB of expensive once, cause they measure it differently. Frankly saying I wouldn't trust those numbers

·
Registered
203 Posts
Technically you are correct. But in real life those 91-92dB of some cheap speakers doesn't equal same 92dB of expensive once, cause they measure it differently. Frankly saying I wouldn't trust those numbers
Generally agree, but most of the major brands traditionally has been pretty reasonable with their specs. If you like Pioneer, the Pioneer TS-G690 has a rated sensitivity of 90 dB. Volume difference at same power is notable using Crutchfield's "Compare Sound" feature. Seems like a better (and less expensive) match for stock headunit.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts