The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've searched the 4th gen forum but out of the 500 hits for "power door" I don't see one quite like mine.

The passenger door will open almost every time (9/10) but fails to open occasionally. When it does open it does so properly. But when I activate any method of closing you just hear a whirring sound in the latch area and nothing else happens. That said it will close maybe 1/10 times but even then gets to the closed position and still fails to do the final pull in and latch.

I replaced the door lock actuator and no help. I'm thinking as intermittent as it is maybe the door wiring harness? A survey of YouTube vids shows these two to be the most common solutions. But again I have not come across anyone describe the whirring and not moving or latching problem quite the way I am experiencing.

Thoughts?

Edit: a little further info; if you look at the end edge from the back when open of both doors you can clearly see that the latch mechanism itself is in a different position. The good side is completely open while the bad side is partially closed. And before it just settles into whirring noise the latch makes a distinct pop noise but the latch does not change its opening.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Door latch actuator is most likely failing. Mine did something similar.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As I said in my post I have already replaced it with no change. It seems like whatever is supposed to be happening when it actuates does not happen other than unlatching the door on opening. But maybe that's all it's supposed to do.

·
Registered
372 Posts
As I said in my post I have already replaced it with no change. It seems like whatever is supposed to be happening when it actuates does not happen other than unlatching the door on opening. But maybe that's all it's supposed to do.
I think you mean driver’s side,side door? If I am right in assuming that is what you mean I think the door itself may be out of adjustment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think you mean driver’s side,side door? If I am right in assuming that is what you mean I think the door itself may be out of adjustment

To be clear; the sliding door on the passenger side. It seems to open just fine under power and works fine manually both ways so I can't see how it would be adjustment. It does not budge to even start to close; except for the one time it did and then it didn't finish latching.

·
Registered
372 Posts
To be clear; the sliding door on the passenger side. It seems to open just fine under power and works fine manually both ways so I can't see how it would be adjustment. It does not budge to even start to close; except for the one time it did and then it didn't finish latching.
Correct I think it’s not catching it is to far away from the latch,does it leak?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Correct I think it’s not catching it is to far away from the latch,does it leak?

It closes good and tight. The thing is it won't even start to close. The one time it did it didn't pull in to latch. Just that same whirring noise and no movement.

·
Drivin' Maniac
2002 Grand Caravan ES 3.8L
2,115 Posts
Here's the STICKY post on power door issues. Yes, it's LONG. Happy reading!

My guess is either a broken wire in the door harness (intermittent connection), or old/sticky grease in the latch assembly (which can be cleaned and re-lubricated without needing to change any parts)

Unfortunately the RH latch (passenger door in the USA) is a bit of a PITA to remove.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks much. I was going to tyr the wire harness next but I like your cleaning the lock idea. I had it out when I replaced the lock actuator and I have not yet put the door panel back on so it won't be too bad to get the lock out. And ya, it was a nasty sticky mess. I'm not sure why I blew off cleaning it up but I did. Definitely worth a try before throwing more parts at it.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Latch actuator and door lock actuator are two different things. One operates the lock/pull button, the other operates release and tuck-in/latch. Hence, I said latch since you stated you replaced the LOCK actuator. If it's making a popping and/or whirring sound the LATCH actuator is the issue. Put your ear on the rear of the door and you should be able to hear it/feel it.

Reactions: Carbuff2

·
Registered
80 Posts
The power sliding doors on both of our 4th gens had problems and I "fixed" both in the same way. Not sure if the symptoms are really the same as yours but the "fix" is quick, inexpensive and can't do much harm so it might be worth a try.

What would happen on both vans is that when actuated, the door would make a rattling machine gun like sound from the latch area. If after a few seconds the latch wouldn't disengage then the door opening/closing process would be halted. If while doing the rattling thing, one pulled on the outside door handle enough to disengage the latch then the door would continue the entire door opening/closing process to completion. This was mostly an intermittent problem that would occur on any of the sliding doors but the left door on my van had gotten to the point where it would rarely work properly. Apparently a problem with the latch sticking or having a weak actuator.

One day on a whim I took my trusty can of WD-40 and sprayed it into the opening of the latch at the back of the door. I sprayed in various directions to get as much of the internals of the latch. Much to my surprise this "fixed" the left door immediately. I went ahead and treated all the other doors of both vans. I have had to re-apply the treatment on some doors. On the left door of my van I ended up removing the latch and doing a thorough cleaning off the car after the simple treatments were becoming ineffective..

Remember, WD-40 is not really a lubricant. It is more of a cleaner and a displacer of unwanted schmoo. In this case it is the right product. Give it a shot. It's cheap and can't hurt.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts