The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently picked up a 2011 Grand Caravan with 120k for a very decent price. The price was cheap because it needed a bunch of work.
-Misfire in Cylinder 4
-TPMS light in dash
-Keyfob buttons not working
-AC not getting cold

After purchase, I had it towed directly to a dealer where they performed a leakdown test on Cylinder 4 and agreed to replace the head under warranty.
While replacing the head, they also informed me that it had a bad exhaust cam and rockers. Unfortunately, I'd have to cover the extra parts.
I also had them replace the rear 3 spark plugs and put in a new thermostat.
I had purchased extra new fobiks and wanted to get them programmed, but they were unable to program the keys due to an issue with the win module.
So out the door I got nailed with an $850 bill. Not bad considering the amount of work.

The fobik keys are not original, one says dodge, the other ram, and they feature panic, lock, unlock, and remote start buttons.
(I noticed the hood switch is not in place, so I guess no remote start)

I tackled the AC myself, replaced the rear evaporator core/expansion valve, and recharged the system. It works great now!
While at the dealer picking up the evaporator I got my PIN code so I could make some changes if needed.

Enter Alfaobd:
I picked up an OBDLINK MX and bought Alfaobd after giving the demo a whirl with my other cheap ELM327.
The first thing I was happy to be able to pull was a log of all the set configurations for my van.
It helped confirm my suspicions that the fobik's I was given are not the original, and that I do NOT have remote start enabled.
It also let me read stored codes in the modules.
I was left with a few stored codes to deal with.
The WIN module had two codes regarding TPMS and one for key not programmed.

So I used Alfaobd to change my configuration and disabled TPMS. That worked beautifully.
The light on the dash finally turned off, but of course the codes are still in the WIN module.
I'm assuming that I would need to run "reset WIN configuration", but I'm wary of playing with that just yet.

I've decided to replace my WIN module and upgrade to remote start at the same time.
I picked up a cheap kit off ebay($75 shipped), part# 82212893AB, which is meant for 2012-2015 Caravans.
It came with a gen 3 WIN module, part # 68105738AE, which some sites list as compatible with my van, while others claim it isn't.
Also included were 2 new fobiks, the hood ajar switch, and the antenna module.

I'm now getting ready to install the components and want to use Alfaobd to add remote start to my van and program the new WIN module.
I'd like to avoid the $300 quote I was given by the dealer to program the module and keys($900 to do the full install).
Alfaobd has the option to enable remote start in "car configuration change", but the options in the WIN module are a bit confusing.
I know on the Dodge tools that I'm supposed to run "Win Replaced" and program the new keys. Alfaobd doesn't have that option, it's also missing the option "PCM replaced".
Instead there are two other options listed.
"Transfer Secret Key from PCM" and "Transfer Secret Key to PCM"

I'm assuming I need to install all the components from the kit, and run "transfer secret key from pcm" option to program the new WIN module, followed by program new keys. I know that this option doesn't add the code to my VIN in the Chrysler database, but that's ok with me. I can probably have them add it at some point.

The alternative would be for me to mostly install the kit, leave the old win module plugged in, drive to the dealer and have them add the XBM sales code to my vin, restore the car configuration, plug in the new module and perform "Win replaced", and finally program the new keys.

There are really only three problems with the alternative.
-I'm sure that TPMS would be activated again
-the dealer might not like the new parts I've chosen
-the cost and downtime

Either way I go, I'm assuming that with my original win and keys on hand, I'd be able to switch back if something doesn't program or work properly with the new win module.

So that's where I'm at now with my dilemma.
Should I attempt to program the new module myself? Or should I pay the dealer a ridiculous amount for a $15 minute job?

·
Registered
86 Posts
You don't need to replace the WIN module to get remote start.
You just don't get the same reach...since there is no external antenna.
Even the fobs have the button on the circuit board. Just change the rubber insert and the top part.

Activate remote start in the TIPMGW, reset WCM config (PIN needed).
Disable remote start thru the EVIC....drive a bit...activate remote start in EVIC...done..van starts/stops with the fob.

I used Appcar DiagFCA and OBDLink MX for it. Appcar even reads the PIN code from the car.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's alway good to know that I have the option of enabling remote start on the stock win module.
Do you know if the fobiks need to be reprogrammed when doing the reset WCM config?

I think I'm still going to need to replace my win module due to none of the buttons working on any of my fobiks.
While I'm at it, I'll probably install the rest of the remote start kit.

I've sent out messages to the devs of Appcar DiagFCA and Alfaobd to see if either app has the WIN Replaced option. It would make things a bit simpler if I can avoid a dealer trip.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Do you know if the fobiks need to be reprogrammed when doing the reset WCM config?
Fobiks do not need to be reprogrammed when doing reset WCM config.
It's not a factory reset, it's more of a config resync between the different modules involved (WCM, PEM...)

I think I'm still going to need to replace my win module due to none of the buttons working on any of my fobiks.
While I'm at it, I'll probably install the rest of the remote start kit.
That's a different story then. That needs to work, in order to get a working remote start from the factory WIN without the external antenna.

I've sent out messages to the devs of Appcar DiagFCA and Alfaobd to see if either app has the WIN Replaced option. It would make things a bit simpler if I can avoid a dealer trip.
Appcar DiagFCA has the option. May be called a bit different.

See some screenshots below...

😀

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Excellent, so I'll have no problems doing the Reset WIN Configuration.
That should at least get rid of any leftover TPMS codes in the WIN Module.

Thanks for the screenshots of appcar diagfca, it doesn't look like they have a "WIN Replaced" routine even though it is mentioned.

Here's some shots from Alfaobd
I'm really interested by the "Transfer Secret Key from PCM" option.

WCM:

PEM:
(I don't have a passive entry module)

·
Registered
19 Posts
deadhp1
Do you have any success with AlfaOBD to set the remote start?
I'm trying to write remote start to "SET", but get no any answer from TIPM.

Is engine should be running or off? ignition in "run" position?

·
Registered
13 Posts
You don't need to replace the WIN module to get remote start.
You just don't get the same reach...since there is no external antenna.
Even the fobs have the button on the circuit board. Just change the rubber insert and the top part.

Activate remote start in the TIPMGW, reset WCM config (PIN needed).
Disable remote start thru the EVIC....drive a bit...activate remote start in EVIC...done..van starts/stops with the fob.

I used Appcar DiagFCA and OBDLink MX for it. Appcar even reads the PIN code from the car.
Hello everyone, I'm trying to enable remote start on my 2011 Avenger. I know this is not an avenger forum, but I've spent A LOT of time searching, and this is the only thread I have found that helps me at all. I joined an avenge forums asking for help...crickets.

So...I used this info to set up remote start in my avenger. Bought a key fob with a remote start button. Got it cut and programmed it for the car. Got a good switch set and installed it. Got appcar and alfa OBD. Made all the config changes, reset the WIN, yadda yadda yadda...it pops the trunk. 😳

I've swapped guts around in my various key fobs. They all just pop the trunk.

Help please?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I plan to do the same procedure for my 200.
What kind of keys you have used?
6 buttons like this 6 buttons key fob ?
or
5 buttons like this 5 button fob ?
As all buttons already inside the fob, I assume that it can be difference in what kind of key you are using.
Can you try to press the "start engine" button, when your original key disassembled? probably need something metallic to close contacts.

Also, how you reset WIN? with AlfaOBD?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I plan to do the same procedure for my 200.
What kind of keys you have used?
6 buttons like this 6 buttons key fob ?
or
5 buttons like this 5 button fob ?
As all buttons already inside the fob, I assume that it can be difference in what kind of key you are using.
Can you try to press the "start engine" button, when your original key disassembled? probably need something metallic to close contacts.

Also, how you reset WIN? with AlfaOBD?
I went from 4 button to 5 button. The guts are interchangeable between the old fobs and the new fob. Old and new trunk releases work as trunk release. All remote starts also work as trunk releases.

I reset the WIN with appcar. Perhaps I'm not resetting the WIN correctly?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I went from 4 button to 5 button. The guts are interchangeable between the old fobs and the new fob. Old and new trunk releases work as trunk release. All remote starts also work as trunk releases.

I reset the WIN with appcar. Perhaps I'm not resetting the WIN correctly?
Did you check your settings ?
In alfaOBD:

Hood switch should be activated on Digital Input and Remote start should be YES.
If all above is YES, then WIN reset needed. (I'm still looking how to reset WIN with AlfaOBD)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Did you check your settings ?
In alfaOBD:
View attachment 56854

View attachment 56855

Hood switch should be activated on Digital Input and Remote start should be YES.
If all above is YES, then WIN reset needed. (I'm still looking how to reset WIN with AlfaOBD)
I'm doing more in appcar than I am in alfaobd. Just pulled a report in appcar...my hood ajar switch is set. Remote start is set and enabled.

Appcar has a module diagnostic function which includes resetting modules. I have reset it a dozen times. No joy.

I am getting a TIPMCGW DTC which reports that the hood ajar input circuit is high. I don't think that would make it.pop the trunk. I'm curious why it's high tho.

Also getting a WCM DTC B2204 "ECU configuration mismatch". The only things I've added to the car are hands-free module which is properly enabled, works fine, talks to appcar as its own module, and isn't throwing any codes. I also added an auto dimming mirror. It works fine too.

·
Registered
19 Posts
“Dumb” questions, but did you activate hood switch on Input#2 (B11)?
You probably used existing harness for hood switch?
And reset WIN module as here

As you should reset Configuration , not module itself.
And " circuit is high " means short somewhere. May be it shortened on trunk input? Just Ideas.

·
Registered
13 Posts
“Dumb” questions, but did you activate hood switch on Input#2 (B11)?
You probably used existing harness for hood switch?
And reset WIN module as here
View attachment 56859
As you should reset Configuration , not module itself.
And " circuit is high " means short somewhere. May be it shortened on trunk input? Just Ideas.
I activated hood switch as you described. I think it's showing high because the connector is gross...it spent the first 8 years of its life unplugged.

Regarding resetting WCM configuration...how did you get to that menu? I think that's why my remote start doesn't work. Check out my options...

Seems like I'm missing a menu tab.

·
Registered
19 Posts
that's from Grand Caravan.
Do you have the latest Appcar DiagFCA version?
It should be on the same page where program keys and program TPMS sensors exist.
How did you program new keys, with Appcar DiagFCA?

It's where I'm stocked with 200. In AlfaOBD is no reset WIN configuration for 200, but exist for Grand Caravan.
In PDF it says that you should perform "WCM replaced" and "reset ECU" , but that's with WITECH software. Do you have anything like that in Appcar? Strange, that's nothing in WCM page for active diagnostics at all.
Avenger.pdf

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yep...1.5.0.2...most current version.

There's a key-dance programming procedure for new keys that doesn't require software. You just have to already have 2 good keys.

Also, I've tried remote starting using the circuit boards from all 3 of my key fobs.

Seems like there's some functionality missing from appcar for my avenger.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I plan to contact a developer of AlfaOBD, the guy very responsive. Will ask him about "reset WIN Configuration" for 200/Avenger.
What I found in Alfa - Instrument panel - ECU self test. Will try it later this week when get my OBD adapter.
Will keep you updated.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I plan to contact a developer of AlfaOBD, the guy very responsive. Will ask him about "reset WIN Configuration" for 200/Avenger.
What I found in Alfa - Instrument panel - ECU self test. Will try it later this week when get my OBD adapter.
Will keep you updated.
He is very responsive. From what i understand, resetting the WCM config requires a pin which alfaobd doesn't do.

There is a beta for appcar that I hadn't tried. From the description, it looks like maybe that's what I need. Trying to get it working now...

·
Registered
19 Posts
I got PIN with PullPIN app on android.
Can you update me with your results, plan to add remote start on my 200.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts