The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another post prompted me thinking about add a back up camera. I've never really looked into them yet. Since things i think i'd like or need...
Wireless for easy install.
Ability to mount up high, maybe under the rear window visor so I can monitor my trailer when driving.
Good quality for duribility.
Power source- I assume the screen will plug into the cigarette lighter and thats fine, but what about the camera itself? Are they hard wired or run on batteries?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Looking on amz I see there are (too) many to choose from. I also see alot of wired options. Is wired generally considered better/more reliable/more durable?
Viewing angles from 170 to 130. Is 149 really the best?
Mirror vs non mirror?? Why does this matter?

·
Registered
167 Posts
I installed a 149* camera on my VW sedan, made by eRapta, and paired with a Pioneer head unit touch screen. The picture is so crystal clear for $30 camera, that it makes me want to replace the one that is on our '09 minivan with crappy picture quality. But not sure how easy it is to replace only the camera on these minivans, at least ones that came with camera from Chryco factory, and haven't really looked into doing it. Yet.

I'm not sure how it works with wireless option, but it sounds like a lot of ongoing hassle factor with batteries and having to plug in a screen, etc. Usually see the cameras working with a video touch-screen radio head unit, all hard wired in.

Camera is typically installed close to license plate with the top of the bumper in the lower part of the screen for visual point of reference. A high install like you're talking about would be good for watching trailers in tow, but not sure how good it would be for reversing into parking spots with brick walls or other objects on the other side, etc. Seems like it would have to be pointed straight down to see the bumper, but then not very much field of vision behind if you point it straight down.

·
Super Moderator
6,177 Posts
Looking on amz I see there are (too) many to choose from. I also see alot of wired options. Is wired generally considered better/more reliable/more durable?
Viewing angles from 170 to 130. Is 149 really the best?
Mirror vs non mirror?? Why does this matter?
Personally, I wouldn't get one that has less than 130* viewing angle. The one I just installed is 170*/180* and is really nice for backing out of parking spots, etc

Mirror/non mirror just means whether or not the camera image shows up reversed on your screen, like a factory rear camera would. Although some aftermarket radios have an option to do this too I think.

I would also look for at least an IP67 rating.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
3 Participants
UN4GTBL
The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums
ChryslerMinivan.net is the best forum for Chrysler Town and Country owners to discuss mileage, price, problems, towing and more. Join now!
Full Forum Listing