The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced the rear brake pads with Carquest Wearever Platinum Professional Ceramic Brake Pads Part # PXD1326H, and the right rear stuck a day later. Thinking I had a bad caliper, I removed the pads and discovered a metal stud in the middle of the pad that interfered with the caliper piston causing the pad to contact at an odd angle, bind, and stick. Buyer beware.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Picture of the pad?

·
Super Moderator
21,769 Posts
Do you have the right pads? What year is your Van.

Where are your wear indicators located, before the pad or after, going forward?

·
Super Moderator
1,800 Posts
I replaced the rear brake pads with Carquest Wearever Platinum Professional Ceramic Brake Pads Part # PXD1326H, and the right rear stuck a day later. Thinking I had a bad caliper, I removed the pads and discovered a metal stud in the middle of the pad that interfered with the caliper piston causing the pad to contact at an odd angle, bind, and stick. Buyer beware.
If its like other pads I have seen you need to rotate the piston until the slot in the piston lines up with the stud.

In other words, that stud is meant to fit into the slot in the piston.

·
Super Moderator
21,769 Posts
If its like other pads I have seen you need to rotate the pistion until the slot in the piston line up with the stud.

In other words, that stud is meant to fit into the slot in the pistion.
Yes, the pistons are supposed to be turned in and lined up normally for the 5th Generation, when replacing pads.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I didn't take a picture unfortunatly, but here is an image of the same pads from Advanced Auto with no stud in the middle where the plate has the U shape slot. The pads I removed didn't have the stud.

Do you have the right pads? What year is your Van.

Where are your wear indicators located, before the pad or after, going forward?
2012 model. It's the non HD brakes (single piston). I'm trying to remember, but I think the indicators were after the pad going forward, but I really didn't take note.

If its like other pads I have seen you need to rotate the piston until the slot in the piston lines up with the stud.

In other words, that stud is meant to fit into the slot in the piston.
Wouldn't this hinder the rotating action of the caliper piston adjusting as the pad wears or when using the parking brake? The stud was directly in line with the ring of the piston. Also, It appeared to me that the stud was wider than the slot, but I didn't measure.

·
Super Moderator
1,800 Posts
2012 model. It's the non HD brakes (single piston).
Yes, mine are also not the HD brakes.

Wouldn't this hinder the rotating action of the caliper piston adjusting as the pad wears or when using the parking brake?
No, the rotation is internal when the parking brake is applied and when self adjusting.

I have changed my rear brakes many many many times, some pads have the stud and some don't.

Here are two example of pads with the stud:
CENTRIC 10410210:

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...

AKEBONO ACT1326A

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay, well I just reached a new level of dumb. Thank you for the explanation, and I understand whats going on now. Sorry for the misinformation. Please feel free to remove my post so that others are not lead astray.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts