The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
161 - 179 of 179 Posts

·
Registered
2009 GCV SE
1,398 Posts
I just redid the remote start set and reconfigured WIN module again to double check that was the issue. Went for a drive, locked it.

Works perfect.

Thanks for getting me to check again. What a great little modification major brownie points from the wife for this one.
For me, anytime I change a vehicle config setting, I need to shut off the vehicle for a while then turn it back on and bam it works.

With the remote start for me, I installed the hood switch and activated it and it would only chirp one time (telling me the remote starter won't work). After waiting a bit and trying, it then worked.

·
Registered
6 Posts
For me, anytime I change a vehicle config setting, I need to shut off the vehicle for a while then turn it back on and bam it works.

With the remote start for me, I installed the hood switch and activated it and it would only chirp one time (telling me the remote starter won't work). After waiting a bit and trying, it then worked.
I think I must have made a mistake the first time somehow because when I tried the first time the remote start button did nothing.

When I just tried it again I got out locked the doors and got the single chirp from the horn so I went for a short drive locked it again and then it worked perfect.

Not sure what makes it change its mind.

That appcar diag is a great tool. I couldnt get any dealer around here to agree to add the sales code to activate it. $50 is well worth it just for the remote start but now I can add all sorts of stuff as well.

·
Registered
2009 GCV SE
1,398 Posts
I think I must have made a mistake the first time somehow because when I tried the first time the remote start button did nothing.

When I just tried it again I got out locked the doors and got the single chirp from the horn so I went for a short drive locked it again and then it worked perfect.

Not sure what makes it change its mind.

That appcar diag is a great tool. I couldnt get any dealer around here to agree to add the sales code to activate it. $50 is well worth it just for the remote start but now I can add all sorts of stuff as well.
Although I suspect programming is different between appcar and the actual vehicle programming, because when I activated fog lights, they don't act like real fog lights on a same year dodge do.

It's a minor thing, but it definitely is different. Same with the premium sound system, I suspect there is something still missing somewhere. I'm considering adding as many options as I can, then giving Dodge a list of new configs to add to the van, hopefully that sorts out everything.

·
Registered
2013 Chrysler Town and Country Touring
446 Posts
Yay! I'm glad you have it working. It's so easy to enable that I'm surprised it wasn't a standard feature.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I like your video. I think folks will find it useful.

Since the hood switch is just an on/off switch, you could probably just short the two pins on the connector under the hood with a short wire, I considered doing that.

The only thing I did different than you did was that I kept my WINS module, and fobs, I bought new key caps for the fobs which included the remote start button.

Otherwise my steps were like yours.

Great job.

·
Registered
2009 GCV SE
1,398 Posts
I like your video. I think folks will find it useful.

Since the hood switch is just an on/off switch, you could probably just short the two pins on the connector under the hood with a short wire, I considered doing that.

The only thing I did different than you did was that I kept my WINS module, and fobs, I bought new key caps for the fobs which included the remote start button.

Otherwise my steps were like yours.

Great job.
You can't do that! The switch is like a resistor which has current passing through it. When not pressed, current still passes through it, when pressed, current still passes through it. It just has different resistance levels to indicate if the hood is open or closed.

When I remove my switch, it will show "output circuit open" on appcar. When the 2 wires will be connected together, it will show the circuit as "Output circuit high" (Aka a shorted circuit)

If there is a code with the hood switch, remote start will not work. The connector is there, just grab the hood switch and plug it in, it's way easier then to cut the harness and join wires together anyway.

I like the term "Do the job the right way the first time". Once you start to look for shortcuts in the process and skip steps, things down the road may require you to open it up and fix whatever happened, or do the job over again. And I have learned this the painful way with adding the infinity sound system to my 09 which had the 4 speaker system originally.

·
Registered
446 Posts
No, I wasn't being critical, you did it right.

But now I'm curious. Is the hood switch just a switch or a resister circuit? My guess is that the switch is normally open, hence the remote start will not work without the switch cable plugged in. But wouldn't it be weird if the switch was more than a switch?

If I could reach under my hood I'd take a meter to my hood switch and check the impedence. I should have done that before I installed it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
This is great information!

I am gathering parts to do the minimal remote start install for my 2014 Town & Country Touring.
I just purchased the AppDiagFCA tool.
I see the value in owning it for doing my own work to my van, and to me its a worth while investment.

I will keep all updated with pics as soon as I get the parts needed too get this going. Should be in about 2 weeks.

Parts I ordred:

1. Ordered two new fob keys with the remote start on them
2. Ordered the AppDiagFAC software
3. Ordered - Hoodajar Pin and bracket and bolt
4. Ordered a bluetooth OBD2 adapter

I will update once I have all parts and get them installed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Ok, parts finally came in. Installed and set the parameters using AppDiag application but remote start not working yet.
I have to figure out what step I am missing.

Here are Pics...

Location of the Hood Ajar harness that plugs into the HoodAjar switch I ordered.
Bumper Automotive tire Automotive design Gas Automotive exterior

Here is the HoodAjar bracket and switch.
Bumper Automotive exterior Gas Motor vehicle Machine

I think I got the wrong bolt becuse the hole does not fit the bolt, so I forced it to thread in. I will do a better job later, just wanted to get this installed.
Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle door

The stricker plated for the hood and HoodAjar switch installed. I used that bolt above to force a thread and then used a 10mm head bolt I picked up at the hardware store to force thread the hole.
Automotive tire Vehicle Car Automotive design Motor vehicle

·
Registered
2009 GCV SE
1,398 Posts
Ok, parts finally came in. Installed and set the parameters using AppDiag application but remote start not working yet.
I have to figure out what step I am missing.

Here are Pics...

Location of the Hood Ajar harness that plugs into the HoodAjar switch I ordered.
View attachment 63506

Here is the HoodAjar bracket and switch.
View attachment 63507

I think I got the wrong bolt becuse the hole does not fit the bolt, so I forced it to thread in. I will do a better job later, just wanted to get this installed.
View attachment 63508

The stricker plated for the hood and HoodAjar switch installed. I used that bolt above to force a thread and then used a 10mm head bolt I picked up at the hardware store to force thread the hole.
View attachment 63509
Once you activate features, you must wait about a minute before the vehicle option is available with the key out and electronics off aka a door open. I added the switch early on but once I reprogrammed the keys and added the remote start to the config, I had to wait a minute before the button did anything (it just chirped once) but didn't actually start the van.

When you press the button 2 times, if the system is working but something (such as an open door) is preventing it from working, it will chirp once to alert you. For my case right after programming it chirped once, but all doors were closed and all parameters are met for the system to work. I then started the van, shut it off and waited a minute for electronics to shut off, and then tried the remote system and it worked.

I've noticed that after activating features, the ignition must be shut off, a door open (to shut off all electronics), and wait about a minute for the system to fully shut off. Then once you turn the key back on the feature you previously activated will work. A good way to know if you waited long enough is when you turn the key to on or accessory, the touch screen radio will display the vehicle logo. If you haven't waited long enough it will show whatever you were listening to before (or the off screen with the time), so you have to wait longer.

The door open is required because when you shut off the ignition, electronics such as radio can stay on up to 90 seconds after the key had been removed, which is counter productive as you want them to shut off. Opening a door shuts them off visually but they are active for a while after, waiting half a minute or a full minute should be enough for them to fully shut off and reset.

Also, make sure the hood switch contacts on the connector are clean. My van's connector had so much corrosion after being left to the elements that it wasn't making any contact and assumed the hood was open even after several minutes of cleaning. The hood closed is a requirement for the remote system to work, and no contact=hood open. I'm pretty sure if the circuit is shorted it will also not work, and assume the hood is open.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #176 ·
I know that you forgot the reset... :) It can not work without the reset because the WIN dont know about a configuration change. If you want add the rain sensor or keyless go its also necessary to reset the WIN configuration.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I know that you forgot the reset... :) It can not work without the reset because the WIN dont know about a configuration change. If you want add the rain sensor or keyless go its also necessary to reset the WIN configuration.
I was so excited to add this feature that I forgot...lol!!!
We traded our 2008 Dodge GrandCaravam SE in for this 2014 Town and Country Touring model.

I paid $380 for remote start on the GrandCaravan, when I did more research and found out I had it the whole time, I just wanted to kick my own ass!!! lol!!! :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #178 ·
The factory installed remote start has an external antenna. The remote start therefore works from a further distance

·
Registered
9 Posts
The factory installed remote start has an external antenna. The remote start therefore works from a further distance
Yes, I read that in the previous posts about that factory remote start system.
Great news!!! I reset the WCM configuration and on AppDiag and then cycled the key twice and pressed the button twice on thew new fobs that I purchased on ebay and programmed myself with AppDiag and Walla!!! Remote start is active and working flawlessly.

Product Rectangle Azure Font Screenshot

This software is definitely powerful and very functional for those of us who tinker with our own cars vs taking to the dealer to get this done.

Steffen, much appreciated for the advice and sshawn for your work and input on this matter. :giggle:

Now to move on to the next project which is to add the Adjustable Pedals on my 2014 Chrysler Town and Country Touring.

161 - 179 of 179 Posts