The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1991 Voyager. Sometimes when I start the van, the wipers come on (despite switch being OFF). Sometimes they dont. Sometimes when they come on, they are on high, other times low.

What could cause this?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Also possibly relevant, the wipers oddly only do this when I start the car. They may stay on 1 minute or 5 minutes. Once the car is warm, they don't come back on.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Yeah, seems like an intermittent short.
Again, most likely place is the control stalk, since it's had 28 years of people wearing it down.
Next place could be a short somewhere in a wire harness... good luck with that.

·
Registered
1994 Dodge Grand Caravan AWD green with silver lower side moldings and bumpers
75 Posts
Maybe not relevant to your situation but check the ground wire to the motor. It has given me grief in the past.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Oh, is this familiar. Wiper going on when it's in the off position. Intermittently.

A dealer replaced almost every part of the wiper system a few years ago on our '91 Plymouth Grand Voyager, broke the windshield in the process, and didn't fix it. We ended up putting the wiper switch on the indent between "off" and the lowest intermittent setting, which would stop it. Then at some point I think it cleared up. May have been an issue with the main electronic control module, which is low behind the center dash stack, which we had to replace at one point, or related to another component behind the speedometer (can't remember what now) that got worked on later.

That the behavior changes when the car's warmed up makes me think it's electronics, not wiring or the switch. Guessing that the "Off" position for the switch actually is a powered position which tells some electronic component to return the wipers to the rest position. Maybe putting the slider on the detent between "Off" and intermittent disconnects the switch entirely, so it can't have a mis-interpreted signal.

I never tried to disassemble the dash myself to, for example, clean the wiper switch contacts to make sure something wasn't shorting, which is another possible explanation. I think, but am not sure, that the dealer replaced the wiper switch, among all the other parts they replaced. If so, it wasn't the switch.

AWD1993 - FYI, the wiper switch on a 1991 is a slide switch on the instrument panel, not on a stalk.

·
Registered
12 Posts
1991 Voyager. Sometimes when I start the van, the wipers come on (despite switch being OFF). Sometimes they dont. Sometimes when they come on, they are on high, other times low.

What could cause this?
Exactly that same problem that I had on mine (a 91 Grand Caravan). I resolved it by changing the Body Control Module that is under the dash, I went to the junk yard and found a 92 BCM so I changed it, it worked fine, everything worked well, just the chime thing starts to ring anytime the driver's door is open, no matter if the keys are in or not, or the lights are on or off, if you open the drivers door it will chime.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Exactly that same problem that I had on mine (a 91 Grand Caravan). I resolved it by changing the Body Control Module that is under the dash, I went to the junk yard and found a 92 BCM so I changed it, it worked fine, everything worked well, just the chime thing starts to ring anytime the driver's door is open, no matter if the keys are in or not, or the lights are on or off, if you open the drivers door it will chime.
Thanks Xavier. So the dash has to come off?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks Xavier. So the dash has to come off?

Thanks again!
Not exactly the dash , but the lower panel beneath the steering wheel column. The BCM is visible once you take apart that cover, is a metal box with two big connectors (one light blue, one white/yellowish) and a ground screw. It's easy to remove. Your best bet is to get another one for a 91 van, (dosn't really matter the engine or trans, just the same year) but as far as I've seen one for a 92 will work, nevermind 93 or newer, they work all crazy!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Let me ask a (seemingly) crazy question. Is the rubber weatherstrip along the back of the hood opening in place? I had a similar type issue, and after dismantling the turn-signal stalk and cleaning & relubricating all of the contact areas, I found that the wiper motor was full of water. (mounted on the firewall inside the engine compartment) I dismantled it, cleaned it out & dried it, then tried to seal it a bit better, and had no more problems with this. (At least I'm pretty sure it was on this vehicle, and not on the 2000 Chrysler T & C we had later. I do know for sure, at any rate, that it was on this vehicle - 93 Chrysler T&C - that I had the turn signal switch all apart.)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Let me ask a (seemingly) crazy question. Is the rubber weatherstrip along the back of the hood opening in place? I had a similar type issue, and after dismantling the turn-signal stalk and cleaning & relubricating all of the contact areas, I found that the wiper motor was full of water. (mounted on the firewall inside the engine compartment) I dismantled it, cleaned it out & dried it, then tried to seal it a bit better, and had no more problems with this. (At least I'm pretty sure it was on this vehicle, and not on the 2000 Chrysler T & C we had later. I do know for sure, at any rate, that it was on this vehicle - 93 Chrysler T&C - that I had the turn signal switch all apart.)
I'm pretty sure Xavier is correct and my BCM is bad. In addition to the wipers 'working' when i start the van up when its cold, sometimes all my gages go out and the (check gages) light illuminates in the top left corner. I'm going to take the cover off and try to find a replacement BCM on Ebay. I think trying to find a 2nd gen. Caravan at the salvage yard will be very difficult.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts