The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1991 Voyager. Sometimes when I start the van, the wipers come on (despite switch being OFF). Sometimes they dont. Sometimes when they come on, they are on high, other times low.

What could cause this?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Also possibly relevant, the wipers oddly only do this when I start the car. They may stay on 1 minute or 5 minutes. Once the car is warm, they don't come back on.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Yeah, seems like an intermittent short.
Again, most likely place is the control stalk, since it's had 28 years of people wearing it down.
Next place could be a short somewhere in a wire harness... good luck with that.

·
Registered
1994 Dodge Grand Caravan AWD green with silver lower side moldings and bumpers
68 Posts
Maybe not relevant to your situation but check the ground wire to the motor. It has given me grief in the past.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Oh, is this familiar. Wiper going on when it's in the off position. Intermittently.

A dealer replaced almost every part of the wiper system a few years ago on our '91 Plymouth Grand Voyager, broke the windshield in the process, and didn't fix it. We ended up putting the wiper switch on the indent between "off" and the lowest intermittent setting, which would stop it. Then at some point I think it cleared up. May have been an issue with the main electronic control module, which is low behind the center dash stack, which we had to replace at one point, or related to another component behind the speedometer (can't remember what now) that got worked on later.

That the behavior changes when the car's warmed up makes me think it's electronics, not wiring or the switch. Guessing that the "Off" position for the switch actually is a powered position which tells some electronic component to return the wipers to the rest position. Maybe putting the slider on the detent between "Off" and intermittent disconnects the switch entirely, so it can't have a mis-interpreted signal.

I never tried to disassemble the dash myself to, for example, clean the wiper switch contacts to make sure something wasn't shorting, which is another possible explanation. I think, but am not sure, that the dealer replaced the wiper switch, among all the other parts they replaced. If so, it wasn't the switch.

AWD1993 - FYI, the wiper switch on a 1991 is a slide switch on the instrument panel, not on a stalk.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts