The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a cheap used 2013 Dodge Grand Caravan that I was told has a bad transmission. It's currently throwing the following codes: P0740, P0933, P0868, and P0869. The latter codes represent pressure too low and too high, respectively. Is there a common failure mode that causes this? Might it just be a bad line pressure sensor or solenoid? I noticed the P0933 code is potentially a sensor issue as well.

I did a resistance check of the sensor and solenoid(in fact, all of the solenoids) and they checked out.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Dirty fluid/filter commonly cause pressure codes.
It's something that should be changed often that NO ONE does.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Unfortunately I tried replacing the filter/fluid already.
Without further diagnosis, it would just be throwing parts.
It could be a failed pack, but again, without proper diagnosis, it's just a toss.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Without further diagnosis, it would just be throwing parts.
It could be a failed pack, but again, without proper diagnosis, it's just a toss.
Any idea how much a diagnosis would cost? Is that something a private shop could do or would I need to take it to the dealership?

·
Registered
300 Posts
Any idea how much a diagnosis would cost? Is that something a private shop could do or would I need to take it to the dealership?
Depends on the shop.
My local shop will plug in and read data in real time for $150.
I'd personally stay away from the dealer, in my experience, they're idiots.

The issue is going to be with having anyone willing to diagnose the issue instead of just saying "yep, it needs a transmission". They don't want the diagnostic money, they want the $4500 transmission replacement.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Depends on the shop.
My local shop will plug in and read data in real time for $150.
I'd personally stay away from the dealer, in my experience, they're idiots.

The issue is going to be with having anyone willing to diagnose the issue instead of just saying "yep, it needs a transmission". They don't want the diagnostic money, they want the $4500 transmission replacement.
There's a local shop that's highly rated that I may take it to. I'm going to be upfront about doing the transmission replacement myself if it comes to that so hopefully they don't try to upsell me on that.

I tried the data stream myself but I wasn't really sure what to look for. Sometimes the pressure was close to the target(within 1-2 PSI) and sometimes it was ~30 PSI too low. I wasn't able to catch it going above the target PSI.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have an appointment for Friday to get the van looked at. The guy on the phone said a common problem is that the transmission line has a leak. Does that make sense to you? I guess if the fluid goes pan -> filter -> pump -> radiator -> solenoids that makes sense but I assumed the fluid was pumped through the radiator at the very end. I don't have any reason to believe that's the case though.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I have an appointment for Friday to get the van looked at. The guy on the phone said a common problem is that the transmission line has a leak. Does that make sense to you? I guess if the fluid goes pan -> filter -> pump -> radiator -> solenoids that makes sense but I assumed the fluid was pumped through the radiator at the very end. I don't have any reason to believe that's the case though.
If you already replaced the fluid/filter and saw no signs of leakage, it's doubtful it's a line.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you already replaced the fluid/filter and saw no signs of leakage, it's doubtful it's a line.
I forgot to mention that I already replaced the fluid/filter so they may think I'm just low on fluid. When I was doing the replacement I wasn't looking for leaks at all to be honest. I could definitely have missed a leaking line.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I forgot to mention that I already replaced the fluid/filter so they may think I'm just low on fluid. When I was doing the replacement I wasn't looking for leaks at all to be honest. I could definitely have missed a leaking line.
I wish you luck that it's just low fluid/leaky lines.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts