The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
I am having noise issues with my van. I have an 2008 T&C Limited with 108k on it and just replaced all the tires and had already done the brakes with drilled and slotted rotors and ceramic pads on both front and back at about 70k. The front pads wear very quickly, grinding at 95k a year later. I had shaking when braking prior to changing to the drilled and slotted rotors and pads, that is gone, but since changing when slowing down I hear a whirling noise from the front, I assumed it was the new rotors but have lived with it

After replacing the tires with new Firestones, there was a ton of noise, mainly road noise coming from the front it seemed. So took them back and got Continental TruContact tires. They are much quieter and great ride, but still had noise coming from the front end it seems. So changed both front wheel hub assemblies with Timkins. A little quieter, but still some noise that gets louder as you get up to 40- 50 miles per hour. It is very hard to tell if the noise if from the front or back. I have new rear hubs to install at the next oil change, but I'm wondering if the noise is coming from the drilled and slotted rotors.

I also only get 16-17 miles per gallon ever on this van. It has the 4.0 v6. I have heard guys on here get near 23 mpg on theirs. I did the tune up and timing belt at 105k and it did it went from 16 mpg to 17 at best. I am thinking the brakes are the issue still.

Anyone have any similar situations with theirs or any advice on the noise, brake, hub, mpg, issues???
Also advise on the best front rotors and pads for an 08 T&C Limited?

·
Super Moderator
4,773 Posts
My slotted and dimpled front rotors make a noise that I can only hear with the windows down.
It is something you have to live with if you want these type of rotors.

Do you have 17" wheels? If so you can upgrade to the HD brakes easily enough.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Ok, I found the thread for HD upgrade.

So if I have this right, the HD upgrade is basically upgrading the calipers. The original are small single piston and the upgrade is to a larger duel piston caliper?

I think my drilled and slotted rotors are the part of the noisey, whirling problem. I should not hear it in the vehicle. My sister in law has a 2014 T&C base vehicle and drove ours and said we needed new brakes, felt way different than hers, She must have the HD brakes on her van as stock.

So I am going to go with the dimpled and slotted rotors on the front with the new calipers. Rock Auto had them yesterday, just checked and they are out of stock on one side of the calipers.
The HD calipers are the ones that are described as Professional Grade below, right?

Price Core Quantity Total Remove
Click to Jump to This Car in the Part Catalog2008 CHRYSLER TOWN & COUNTRY 4.0L V6
Click to Jump to This Part Listing in the Part CatalogBrake/Wheel Hub : Caliper
RAYBESTOS RC11879 Professional Grade Professional Grade Ceramic Loaded Caliper, Remanufactured, Contains Bracket
Flag indicates this part fits vehicles sold in the US Market. It does not indicate where the part was made -- manufacturers produce parts in multiple factories worldwide. Flag indicates this part fits vehicles sold in the Canadian Market. It does not indicate where the part was made -- manufacturers produce parts in multiple factories worldwide. Flag indicates this part fits vehicles sold in the Mexican Market. It does not indicate where the part was made -- manufacturers produce parts in multiple factories worldwide. Front Left
$85.79 $56.25 $142.04

·
Super Moderator
4,773 Posts
This is the link for upgrading a Light duty to HD including the calipers:
http://forum.chryslerminivan.net/showthread.php/47257-2013-HD-brake-upgrade-to-2010-SXT

The part # you listed from Rock is a Light duty single piston type:
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1310637

Yes the calipers will be dual piston on the HD. Dual piston ones are:
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=4560705&cc=3300325
They are not showing loaded for a van with HD.

This is what I did to upgrade my HD's even further.
http://forum.chryslerminivan.net/showthread.php/99314-Upgrading-factory-HD-brakes-due-to-a-pulsation?highlight=HD+upgrade

The rotors and pads I used have worked out very well. We just came back from vacation and I gave them a workout going into Northern California and in/out of Yosemite and Sequoia National parks several times as well. No fade, squeal or pulsing. I do get more brake dust using the metallic pads vs the factory ceramic but the dust did wash right off the rims.

Since 2014 ALL the vans have HD's now.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Aweswome thanks.

So just to verify before I order, If I buy the duel piston calipers and the rotor brake kit for the 2014 T&C, they will fit on my 2008 T&C with 17 inch wheels, right???

Also, what's the difference between semi-metallic and ceramic and why did you go with semi-metallic?

·
Super Moderator
4,773 Posts
Yes several members have done this straight forward upgrade with no fitment problems.
Ceramic are quiet, last a long time and have less dust but the rotors run hotter.
I went with semi-met to get a less rotor wear and better hi temp operation and I wanted to do try something a little different.:)

·
Registered
20 Posts
So I need some help. I have been talking with the local dealership service manager. I think he is onboard with my plan, but I need to give him some proof of the difference. I have told him that Chrysler upgraded the brakes on the vans from my 2011 Touring-L to the HD brakes mid-2012 and up. Can anyone provide the OEM part numbers for the Light Duty single piston calipers and rotors versus the newer ones? I need OEM part numbers for both sets to prove the difference. I need to prove to the service manager that the parts guys are blowing smoke up our asses. If this doesnt work out, Ill likely be ordering the rotors from brakeperformance.com. Please help!! Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
4,773 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
All the service manager has to do is ask one of his tech working in the shop. The differences on the vehicle is VERY obvious when you have the wheels off..:confused:

Here is a thread where a member used all OE parts and he included the part #'s.
http://forum.chryslerminivan.net/showthread.php/40865-Early-2012s-still-have-brake-issues/page5?highlight=upgrading+brakes
Thanks for your help. I have emailed the guy to show him the parts difference between my 2011 and a 2012+ "HD Brakes". Hopefully this sets them straight and maybe I can get some "help" on the cost of doing this replacement as this will be the 2nd brake replacement for my van with 61K miles...

·
Registered
36 Posts
OK, just ordered the new rotors and pads, but this noise is driving me crazy. Just got back from a 200 mile short trip and the day after the noise is louder from the front than ever. I replaced the two front wheel hubs so I don't think it is that, but it sounds like it...i guess i could have gotten bad ones, they are timkin though, so I am thinking it is has to be the rotors. They are drilled and slotted and I them on at 70k milage. I have already replaced the pads at 90K, the pads were grinding a bit and gone. There is no vibration from the brakes at all front or back, but is it possible for the rotors to get warped and they vibrate or make noise like a bad wheel bearing? It gets louder the faster you go, really bad from 40 to 60 mph, and when you slow down it makes a winding down sound.

Anyone else experience this or have any suggestions? I am going to replace the front rotors and pad and do the rear two wheel hubs next. I really thought it was the front two hubs. So frustrating....

·
Registered
36 Posts
UPDATE:

Bad front right wheel bearing, yes, the new one I just replaced. Timkin from rock auto, since it was over 30 days though I only get a replacement part, not my money back. Hope it's a good one, since it is going on the shelf...hopefully I don't have to use it anytime soon.

Put on new rear wheel hubs, and new front slotted rotors and ceramic pads. Didn't go the HD brake route yet.

We'll see how long this last. I got a great deal on this one considering the miles and condition at 56,000 miles in 2013, but the upkeep on these vehicles and maintenance is very expensive. The OEM parts just don't last, including consumables and electronics. If I bought one brand new, I'd be really disappointed in the quality and engineering. Hopefully the new ones are better, sounds like the brakes are at least.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi there...this is my first time post, but I have been following this thread for a while. Awesome resource everyone! I wanted to share my experience with the rear HD brake upgrade.

I replaced the rear calipers, rotors, and pads on my 08 T &C one year ago and I have been happy so far. Because my rear brakes were in need of replacement before I was able to get the master cylinder and booster parts, I went ahead and upgraded the rear brakes first. I have two sets of 17" wheels which fit the read HD brakes: 1) the chrome clad 17" Chrysler T&C Limited wheels (14 spoke, kind of like a split 7 spoke design) and 2) VW Routan wheels (with slightly modified Chrysler center caps).

My front brakes are now due and I am debating whether to proceed with the caliper/rotor upgrade alone or to go ahead and upgrade the master cylinder and booster as well. I will probably end up taking the latter approach to make sure that I don't end up using the existing hardware out-of-spec and send my wife down the road with what could be an unreliable brake part combination. I may take the van to a local shop to do the master cylinder and brake booster to let them deal with the brake bleeding procedure, which looks pretty intensive for this work.

As for the master cylinder replacement, it looks to me like it will require a new HD booster unit as well. I see that Rock auto lists part numbers for brake boosters for HD (not in stock) and non HD brakes and from what I can see, it looks like there is a piston size difference (1" vs. 1 1/16" bore according to master cylinder part specs on Rock auto). Any further insight or experience with this would be appreciated, thanks!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Havent done hardly any posts but a lot of reading. I have an 08 T&C Limited. It is time for brakes again! I have the light duty brakes and I think I am going to upgrade all the way around. I hope it all works out but I have confidence in everyone's posts! My light duty rear calipers have seized up twice now and I am on the third set. Checking to see if anyone has had this problem or heard of this problem with their light duty rear calipers or the HD calipers?

·
Registered
61 Posts
my turn

Ok, my turn. 25k on current brakes (88k total) and I'm getting the shimmy. Sucks. '12 with 16s. I can't afford to buy new wheels, so I can;t perform the HD upgrade at this time. Is it worth getting an aftermarket caliper that fits the 16s? Anybody done more thank 20k on a different caliper?

·
Registered
32 Posts
So I've got a 2011 T&C Touring L, with 16" wheels. I've searched this thread and the forum, but what I still want to know is: If I'm not going to get 17" wheels (so the HD upgrade is not an option), WHAT is the most reasonable, cost-effective brake solution? Is it just get a set of quality rotors and a set of ceramic pads?

·
Super Moderator
4,773 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
As it happens, I live around the corner from an AutoZone, and while I'm not a huge fan of their parts, I opted to go with their Duralast Gold brake rotors front and back, part numbers 43166DG and 43177DG, paired with their ceramic Duralast Max brake pads, part numbers DGC1326 and DGC1327. Installation was straightforward, and I used AutoZone's free tool loan for the tool to retract the rear brake pistons, which have to be twisted clockwise to retract them.

It stops fine. I have no idea how long they'll last. I think it previously had semi-metallic pads, and it feels like the ceramics don't stop quite has fast as the semi-metallics, but it is my understanding that the ceramics don't wear out as fast. Time will tell.

·
Registered
450 Posts
My light duty rear calipers have seized up twice now and I am on the third set. Checking to see if anyone has had this problem or heard of this problem with their light duty rear calipers or the HD calipers?
My '08 is on its 3rd set of rear calipers. The originals were replaced by dealer at 40K-ish miles, I just replaced those at 110K miles. The replacement calipers look the same but the pads fit better and actually slide smoothly in the bracket, rather than jamming like the garbage Chrysler caliper. Too soon to say if the pin gaskets will leak like the Chrysler ones and corrode and seize the pins, but, I am encouraged by the correct pad fit. Maybe the pin gasket actually works on the replacement caliper. As my van has 16" wheels, I continue to use "light duty" parts, which performs fine when they work.

Our van has had no issues at all with the front brakes, Chrysler didn't screw those up. I can't justify the cost of a complete brake and wheel and tire and master cylinder / booster upgrade to get HD brakes. I drove our van fully loaded up and down Mount Washington, no problem.

21 - 40 of 60 Posts
About this Discussion
59 Replies
28 Participants
Bugsi
The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums
ChryslerMinivan.net is the best forum for Chrysler Town and Country owners to discuss mileage, price, problems, towing and more. Join now!
Full Forum Listing