The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Pacifica & Pacifica PHEV Hybrid Minivan Forum - The Largest Chrysler 2017+ Pacifica & Pacifica Hybrid Minivan Forum Community!

I am having issues with exposure with the rear camera view when backing into my garage during daylight hours. The rear view ends up turning completely dark when entering the garage (see picture). I've also had this happen outside when backing up to a tall hedge. If I change the view from the default 360° view to rear view the image lightens right up (see picture).

Since I cannot see anything when backing up in the default view I think this is a huge safety issue. I took it into my dealer and they said there was nothing they could do (to new of a vehicle). Not happy with that I called Chrysler through the "Assist" button and explained my issue and they said someone would call me within 24 hours. That was a week ago (sigh).

One other person confirmed this issue in another forum. Is anyone here seeing this? 20160630_120327.jpg 20160630_120337.jpg

·
Registered
109 Posts
Sounds like another call to Chrysler is in order. Everyone that has the Surround View camera option should test to see if they exhibit the same issue as reported here. If so then more people need to call Chrysler and have pics to back it up.

They can't afford any bad press right now. They are trying so hard with the Pacifica campaign to move the minivan forward.

I saw and responded to the thread on the other forum. I had asked if the front camera was exhibiting the same issue of you pulled forward vs reversing.

I haven't ordered my Pacifica as of yet but this does make me want to pause until there is some sort of response to how this will be resolved.

If enough people call and have pictures of their incidents from the front or the side or the back or whichever is going dark then they must listen.

·
Super Moderator
6,228 Posts
Has your dealer done anything to help you? They just said it's too new?

If so, I think you need to find a new dealer, that will actually help you!

It could be anything from a bad camera, wiring, etc, to a software issue. Hopefully you can get this figured out though. In the short time that have driven a new Pacifica with the 360* camera, I didn't notice any such problems, but it was not under the circumstances you are describing.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm afraid :fearful: not. In fact the service manager is the one that told me that. He gave me his business card and I emailed him the photos I posted asking him to forward them to Chrysler. He never even replied. I actually posted on this site because I saw someone from Chrysler replied to a post, hoping I would get a reply too. But no such luck.

As I stated earlier, this is a huge safety issue. Someone or something could get run over or killed. I'd think they'd want to address it quickly. But so far all I'm getting is ignored. Not really impressed at all.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I just noticed this issue yesterday and Ive already figured out what the cause is

Its not software, dont let anyone tell you it is

Its the aperture on the camera.

If you were to remove the camera and replace it with an aftermarket one, Im certain you will not see the issue anymore

this could mean that the camera is either of low quality, or it is malfunctioning on certain production vehicles (typically a specific assembly line will have errors temporarily for a few cars it builds)

Ive informed people here about it and will also test my theory out by trying out the aftermarket camera. God willing, I'll be able to do this in the next week or so

Also, for anyone who has had backup camera before, including the previous Gen Chrysler minivan; this issue does not occur. Cars that did not exhibit this issue: 2011 Routan, 2013 TnC Touring L, 2015 TnC Limited, 2015 Nissan Murano Platinum, 2014 Chrysler 300

Lets hope its a bad batch of cameras. Typically, a fix like this can take a few hours

anyone here exhibiting the issue, located in michigan?

·
Registered
109 Posts
I just noticed this issue yesterday and Ive already figured out what the cause is

If you were to remove the camera and replace it with an aftermarket one, Im certain you will not see the issue anymore

this could mean that the camera is either of low quality, or it is malfunctioning on certain production vehicles (typically a specific assembly line will have errors temporarily for a few cars it builds)

Ive informed people here about it and will also test my theory out by trying out the aftermarket camera. God willing, I'll be able to do this in the next week or so

Also, for anyone who has had backup camera before, including the previous Gen Chrysler minivan; this issue does not occur. Cars that did not exhibit this issue: 2011 Routan, 2013 TnC Touring L, 2015 TnC Limited, 2015 Nissan Murano Platinum, 2014 Chrysler 300

Lets hope its a bad batch of cameras. Typically, a fix like this can take a few hours

Replacing cameras could get costly for owners to fix this. The problem is exhibited on BOTH the front and rear cameras (depending on if you are backing in or pulling in). So it isn't just the rear camera.

User Pappa above has tested it both ways and see that the same issue happens to either camera when the opposite camera is still in bright sunlight. Heck it will probably even happen on the side cameras as wel if you get the lighting right.

Either way, I for sure am looking forward to hearing what you find out and if you do have an ear of someone at Chrysler then maybe you can prod them to do something to alleviate this issue on builds going forward and correct for those that have already purchased.

Thanks

·
Registered
109 Posts
Also something else to keep in mind that is making me not think it is the aperture is when you do the same exercise with just a SINGLE camera view like the rear view or the front view WITHOUT the 360 view, the camera adjusts just fine from light to dark without any interaction from the driver etc.

If you cover up 3 cameras while in the 360 view the 4th camera operates without problem from light to dark. The problem seems to only exhibit itself when in the 360 view only and all 4 cameras are in use.

Just some more things to consider/think about.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

As Cue003 has stated, I proved it was NOT the individual camera's by taping up all cameras except for one (either the back tailgate or front grill left uncovered) . After leaving just one camera clear and using the 360° view (only only camera providing a picture in "top" view of 360) the camera correctly adjusted exposure when exiting or entering garage. So the camera is not at fault. Rather, (I believe) the camera's are not using the individual views (camera's) to adjust exposure. Somehow they are using all of the camera's to adjust exposure which is screwing up the darkest camera's exposure, causing a DARK (black) picture. I proved this by taping up the 3 bright cameras while the van was in reverse (with help of course) and the rear camera's exposure lightened right up. ALL 3 "other" cameras had to be covered for the rear camera to CORRECTLY adjust the exposure. This can also confirmed by simply switching from the 360° view to the single view (one camera) and the dark picture lightens right up!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just called Chrysler through the "Assist" App, it took a couple of tries (1st call they couldn't hear me, 2nd call disconnected, 3rd time was a charm). Anyways, the gentlemen looked up my past call-in and said they are aware of a darker image when light source varies greatly, or something like that. I said "darker", how about black! He said that they are looking into a software fix (UConnect) to correct the problem and that it could happen later this year. I reiterated the safety concern (he documented it) and that this should be a priority. he also documented my safety concerns. I hope they escalate this and get a fix ASAP BEFORE something bad happens. I also relayed my disdain that no one called me back and stated I'd be more than happy to discuss this with the software people. He stated that they are aware of the issue so they wouldn't need that from me.

I really enjoy the van and I think Chrysler (FIAT) did a great job. But this has to be fixed ASAP because it is DANGEROUS.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Pappa, thank you for the continued push with Chrysler. I bet if more people called and used the words "safety concern" the faster this would get addressed and be brought to the top of the priority list. More voices and concern will be good and if they know that these calls are coming from different regions in the US they will also know it is not an isolated event.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
File a complaint with NHTSA (safecar) since it does indeed seem to be safety related. It must be documented in the government's database also, or it "didn't happen"......

·
Registered
102 Posts
I only tested the rear camera

I completely didnt test anything else. I saw the picture, saw what my rear camera was doing, and replied about that

I should have been more specific

·
Registered
65 Posts
Just adding that mine does this too. Yes it's BLACK. Good to know changing the view will make it somewhat usable. My Infiniti had a 360 and it didn't do this.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
On 7/10 I called into Chrysler and they told me they are aware of a darker image when light source varies greatly, or something like that. I said "darker", how about black! He said that they are looking into a software fix (UConnect) to correct the problem and that it could happen later this year. I reiterated the safety concern (he documented it) and that this should be a priority.

On 7/19 I received the following email from my dealers service manager: "Ed....I am still waiting to see if theres a known issue, and if not will show my rep on next visit..........def needs to be addressed."

So I'm not sure why the service manager couldn't get or have access to the same information I was told on 7/10.

If you are having this issue PLEASE file a complaint on safecar.com (NHTSA ID Number: 10883904). The more people that do this the FASTER it will be fixed!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Perfect video of the SAFETY ISSUE/PROBLEM with the 360 surround view camera. This person who shot this video didn't even realize that 3 out of 4 cameras were unusable because the 4 th camera was in the sun. Check it out. This is what Chrysler should see. Perfectly displayed.

https://youtu.be/5ZHMwOGKE9U

Everyone that o be a Pacifica with the 360 view should file a complaint with the NHSTA. Chrysler needs to fix this issue as soon as possible.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts