The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know this is a crazy idea but since i've seen a stock Ford Transit ice cream truck in one year's Gumball 3000 i thought about building a 87-90 ChryCo minivan when i make it in life, with a built 3000gt twin turbo 3.0 and a built 5 speed manual that's compatible with that motor (is the Getrag one from the 89 turbo van compatible?), tune it to make at least 650bhp and enter it into GB3k one year. Anything i need to know first?

just so you know, i've already completed my high school's automotive program but with that said i don't know much more especially when i'm not aiming for an automotive career but one in business instead.

of course this isn't happening anytime soon but i'd just like to know the feasibility or even just the possibility of the swap.

EDIT I don't want to know about srt4 swaps since they're easily done and way too common, i've only seen a single turbo 3.0 minivan before so this is something that's really different (without major mods unlike the 440 powered RWD caravan) that i want to do in the future if possible.

·
Latent car nut
8,842 Posts
i know this is a crazy idea but since i've seen a stock Ford Transit ice cream truck in one year's Gumball 3000 i thought about building a 87-90 ChryCo minivan when i make it in life, with a built 3000gt twin turbo 3.0 and a built 5 speed manual that's compatible with that motor (is the Getrag one from the 89 turbo van compatible?), tune it to make at least 650bhp and enter it into GB3k one year. Anything i need to know first?

just so you know, i've already completed my high school's automotive program but with that said i don't know much more especially when i'm not aiming for an automotive career but one in business instead.

of course this isn't happening anytime soon but i'd just like to know the feasibility or even just the possibility of the swap.

EDIT I don't want to know about srt4 swaps since they're easily done and way too common, i've only seen a single turbo 3.0 minivan before so this is something that's really different (without major mods unlike the 440 powered RWD caravan) that i want to do in the future if possible.
This has been discussed numerous times on this forum; the consensus is there is absolutely zero possibility of fitting the huge cylinder heads and turbocharger units inside the engine bay of any Gen 2 or Gen 3 van.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i was talking about Gen 1 vans. i don't want to build a sleeper. so would it be hard to make any mods to the van to fit the heads and turbos in the engine bay? certainly wouldn't take as much work as that RWD gen 1 van with a 440 did.

i'll only be doing this mod if i have lots of spare time and spare money plus a van and powertrain to build on

I'm aware it has been discussed before, as in this thread: http://forum.chryslerminivan.net/showthread.php/46985-Putting-twin-turbos-3.0-from-3kGT-into-a-first-gen?daysprune=-1

but unlike that thread's OP i would be willing to do any modifications to make it work

·
Latent car nut
8,842 Posts
i was talking about Gen 1 vans. i don't want to build a sleeper. so would it be hard to make any mods to the van to fit the heads and turbos in the engine bay? certainly wouldn't take as much work as that RWD gen 1 van with a 440 did.
I'm thinking it would be even more work to do the 3000GT motor and the 5-Speed conversion than doing the 440/RWD conversion. Silly me. :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm thinking it would be even more work to do the 3000GT motor and the 5-Speed conversion than doing the 440/RWD conversion. Silly me. :)
Well i guess both would involve a lot of work, but the 440 van is only good for drag, the 3.0 TT van is for Gumball 3000

1 - 5 of 5 Posts