The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found out today these don’t have very good traction. Picked daughter up at a friends house. They have a steep driveway down to their lake home. I couldn’t get it back up the driveway. Tried a few times. The owner of house backed it into his garage and took off and gunned it up and out of the driveway. Could I have damaged anything on front axle or transmission? I didn’t let it spin very long. Soon as the rpms shot up and I wasn’t moving I let off the gas.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Not likely, unless you shift between drive and reverse while the wheels are turning. The only difference between regular driving and spinning is the tires have no traction, so maybe a bit of wear on the tires.

·
Latent car nut
8,867 Posts
When navigating a FWD vehicle up a steep slippery slope, do it in reverse, that lets the natural weight transfer work in your favor. Think about it, when you going up forward, weight transfer due to the slope will unload the front wheels and load the back wheels, basically the opposite of what you want for traction; doing it in reverse lets the slope put more weight on the front and less on the back.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Found out today these don’t have very good traction. Picked daughter up at a friends house. They have a steep driveway down to their lake home. I couldn’t get it back up the driveway. Tried a few times. The owner of house backed it into his garage and took off and gunned it up and out of the driveway. Could I have damaged anything on front axle or transmission? I didn’t let it spin very long. Soon as the rpms shot up and I wasn’t moving I let off the gas.
Do you at least have winter tires on? They may still spin, but they will grip a lot better than stock all seasons.

Having traction control on will reduce power when excessive slippage happens.
TC should only be disable if you were stuck in snow/mud.
The more you spin, the smoother the surface gets.

Graded driveways that are icy need to be salted or sanded.
Dangerous to walk on as well.

·
Super Moderator
22,555 Posts
Traction is fine with the vans. Tires, grip and hardness, make a big difference for winter driving. If you are on ice, well, good luck with any vehicle. Studded tires for ice.

You didn't do your vehicle any harm. I have spun wheels a lot more than you apparently did and no damage.

If you have traction control, consult your Owner Manual as to when to disconnect that.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Drove about 30 miles today. Seems fine so far. It was spinning pretty fast the last time I tried going up the driveway. Speedo shot up to 60 or more for a split second before I let off the gas. I read one place this is very bad for axle- probably shooting all power to one wheel going 120? Hopefully I’m worrying for nothing.

·
Latent car nut
8,867 Posts
Drove about 30 miles today. Seems fine so far. It was spinning pretty fast the last time I tried going up the driveway. Speedo shot up to 60 or more for a split second before I let off the gas. I read one place this is very bad for axle- probably shooting all power to one wheel going 120? Hopefully I’m worrying for nothing.
If the speedometer indicated 60 mph, then that is the speed of the one rotating wheel, not 120.

·
Super Moderator
22,555 Posts
Consider this. You weren't hitting a deep pothole at 60 mph. Which would be worse? Around here we hit lots of potholes, a couple already, left over from last winter. The suspension and drive train on these vehicles is rock solid for pothole season.

The one thing you might check for is to see if your your tire moved a bit relative to the rim, in which case your balance may be off. This might happen if a bead sealant was used recently and your wheel got sudden grip, while spinning.

Smile, be happy, you didn't abuse your vehicle. :) The concern will wear off unless a problem reveals itself. May as well let sleeping dogs lie.

How are you liking your Van? What's positive about the Van experience? What model?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That makes more sense to me, but when I looked it up online a couple different places people were saying if only one wheel is spinning, it’s actually going twice as fast as speedo says. And that in there manual it said not to spin tires on ice over 30mph or damage could result for this reason. I couldn’t find anything in a quick look through my manual.
If the speedometer indicated 60 mph, then that is the speed of the one rotating wheel, not 120.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Consider this. You weren't hitting a deep pothole at 60 mph. Which would be worse? Around here we hit lots of potholes, a couple already, left over from last winter. The suspension and drive train on these vehicles is rock solid for pothole season.

The one thing you might check for is to see if your your tire moved a bit relative to the rim, in which case your balance may be off. This might happen if a bead sealant was used recently and your wheel got sudden grip, while spinning.

Smile, be happy, you didn't abuse your vehicle. :) The concern will wear off unless a problem reveals itself. May as well let sleeping dogs lie.

How are you liking your Van? What's positive about the Van experience? What model?
Black 2019 SXT. 27,400 miles today. We like it. It’s fun to drive as long as we stay on the level! Mostly got it for more room and easier to get kids in/out. And less than half price of a large SUV.

·
Super Moderator
22,555 Posts
Black 2019 SXT. 27,400 miles today. We like it. It’s fun to drive as long as we stay on the level! Mostly got it for more room and easier to get kids in/out. And less than half price of a large SUV.
Sounds great. Thanks.

The engine is one of the best on the market and has lots of power. Switch off econ for less engine lugging, if you wish, but that uses more gas.

·
Latent car nut
8,867 Posts
That makes more sense to me, but when I looked it up online a couple different places people were saying if only one wheel is spinning, it’s actually going twice as fast as speedo says. And that in there manual it said not to spin tires on ice over 30mph or damage could result for this reason. I couldn’t find anything in a quick look through my manual.
I'm not sure what idiot wrote that, but it is certainly not true in this era of electronic pickups for speeds (engine and vehicle), nor was it true back in the era of a worm gear driven speedometer cable.

·
3rd gen > all others
2,404 Posts
You are probably remembering old posts about the 3rd gen and older vans, in which spinning a wheel can result in blowing apart the transmission. One wheel spins, the spider gears in the differential do all the work, get hot and the crossshaft that holds the gears spins momentarily, breaking the retaining pin for it. It (crossshaft) then works it's way out of the differential carrier and, while spinning around, catches the case and pokes a hole through it and sometimes right into the planetary section of the transmission, completely destroying it. The retaining pin design has been improved over the years and I've not heard of this happening on 4th gen or newer vans.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Nope, he's talking about 5th gen. I remember that passage in the manual, though I believe it was 35mph and not 30mph that it warned might cause damage. Pretty sure it's worried about the forces on the clutches once you finally get grip.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nope, he's talking about 5th gen. I remember that passage in the manual, though I believe it was 35mph and not 30mph that it warned might cause damage. Pretty sure it's worried about the forces on the clutches once you finally get grip.
I never got any grip once it started spinning in place.

·
Registered
413 Posts
The main risk is for burning the transaxle's differential bearings, as it spins at only one wheel... There is no concern to be had for your slight and temporary wheel spin.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm not sure what idiot wrote that, but it is certainly not true in this era of electronic pickups for speeds (engine and vehicle), nor was it true back in the era of a worm gear driven speedometer cable.
This was one place I read it.

·
Latent car nut
8,867 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts