The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK folks, 111.6k mi on a 2016 T&C and I've got a misfire on cylinder 1. I've tried swapping the coils around and replaced the spark plug on #1 with an OEM plug and the misfire stays on cylinder 1. Also tried a new coil, still with the misfire.

Amy advice on where to start moving down to check next? I know it could be a bad injector, how would I go about testing on this model? Any other ideas are appreciated.

Thanks!
Jeff

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
You could try swapping around a couple injectors to see if it follows. I think cam and rockers have a little history of causing misfires.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
2,437 Posts
It's more common in earlier years, but rocker failure left alone can lead to a damaged cam that will cause a misfire. #1 is also the most common cylinder to have rocker issues.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You could try swapping around a couple injectors to see if it follows. I think cam and rockers have a little history of causing misfires.
How much of a chore is it to get the injectors out on the back half of the engine?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's more common in earlier years, but rocker failure left alone can lead to a damaged cam that will cause a misfire. #1 is also the most common cylinder to have rocker issues.
Is rocker failure the common "tick" the engine gets? Mine doesn't have the tick.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
2,437 Posts
Once the cam is rounded there won't be a tick anymore. The tick is early stage rocker failure. When the cam lobe is gone there's nothing to slap the rocker to make it tick.

No matter which injector, the process is the same. Pull the upper intake and then remove the fuel rail from the lower.

·
Registered
2014 Town & Country
188 Posts
@guitarjesus I had a rocker issue on my 2014 T&C. I could NOT hear an anomalous tick while listening to ambient engine sounds; however, I could hear it “jingling” when I put a mechanic’s stethoscope up against the valve cover over cylinder #3 - the cylinder where I was having a misfire. Cylinder 3 clearly sounded different than the other five cylinders.

After removing the valve cover, sure enough, I could see where the broken rocker had wore two grooves on each side of the cam lobe.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Does it stall out and stumble when you accelerate over 4k rpm? I'm working on a similar problem. Do you get just a P0301 or also a P219a? Either way, I'd rule out a bad injector first before pulling a valve cover. In my case, I replaced injector #1 (after a new spark plug and coil swapped with #3) and it runs much better but still has a tick and the misfire. I have some new rockers coming.

·
Registered
75 Posts
In my experience a misfire from a plug, wire or fuel injector is the same as far as the computer is concerned. Try replacing or switching around the injector. It's pretty easy to do. So here is the rule of thumb from mechanics I know: If you use "commodity" gas, the cheapest stuff you can get you hands on you'd be wise to do a fuel injection service at 80K and no more than 100K. Using a better grade gas, more cleaners is the difference, that interval is longer by quite a bit. Generally speaking I hear that the Chrysler fuel injectors are pretty robust and will go quite awhile without cleaning or replacing. Although they didn't need it at the time, I did the injectors on my Caravan @ about 160K along with plugs and wires and new valve cover gaskets. Cost me 35 bucks each to have them cleaned out of the car at a local shop. I walked them in and picked them up a few hours later.

·
Registered
11 Posts
OK folks, 111.6k mi on a 2016 T&C and I've got a misfire on cylinder 1. I've tried swapping the coils around and replaced the spark plug on #1 with an OEM plug and the misfire stays on cylinder 1. Also tried a new coil, still with the misfire.

Amy advice on where to start moving down to check next? I know it could be a bad injector, how would I go about testing on this model? Any other ideas are appreciated.

Thanks!
Jeff
I have a 2014 T&C with bad cylinder head. Chrysler supposedly redesigned the head in 2013, but loss of compression problems continue...like on my van. They replaced tens of thousands of heads, 2011-2013 on 3,6L engines, but are only admitting their bad design for vehicles to 2013.
'Bad Customer relations policy.
You have to have a cylinder leak down test done, to see if its the intake or exhaust valve/or seat leaking.
Then realize that Chrysler doesn't care.
Report it to NHTSA as a very dangerous condition.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts