The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
2,700 Posts
Looks very dirty. Hope you know you need to have everything spotless when it goes back together. Those small bits of dirt can chew it up good inside.

One the plus side, it looks like you caught it before it could do any major damage. Other than the bushing that appears cracked in the first pic, I don't see anything that screams money. :p

·
3rd Gen Plebeian
1997 Plymouth Grand Voyager Rallye
1,058 Posts
Pretty sure it's not supposed to look like that. I'm not sure exactly which bearing blew up but there's bits of the rollers everywhere.

I did learn one trick. You do not need a slide hammer to get the pump off. Just put two of the bolts from the transmission case in the threaded holes and ratchet them down. It presses right out super easy.

View attachment 62968

Here is another view of the drum with everything pulled out.

View attachment 62969
That's the Underdrive Clutch Piston which is held in by the broken snap ring in the input clutch drum. Double check the hubs that were inside here, they are the splined part I talked about wearing out on 41TEs that didn't get upgraded on the 62TE.

Though, I think you have an issue with the Low Reverse clutch if you had no limp mode, reverse, or low. It is at the very bottom of the transmission case. The gasket is prone to failure on the Low/reverse clutch piston. But, like I said the debris in the pan looks like a failed snap ring.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
That's the Underdrive Clutch Piston which is held in by the broken snap ring in the input clutch drum. Double check the hubs that were inside here, they are the splined part I talked about wearing out on 41TEs that didn't get upgraded on the 62TE.
View attachment 62970
View attachment 62972

Though, I think you have an issue with the Low Reverse clutch if you had no limp mode, reverse, or low. It is at the very bottom of the transmission case. The gasket is prone to failure on the Low/reverse clutch piston. But, like I said the debris in the pan looks like a failed snap ring.
View attachment 62971
I'll double check the splines and snap some pictures when I get home today. I haven't removed the lower yet but plan to tonight. I did not have any forward or reverse motion but, that might have been because there was no pressure. It looks like some of the fluid channels are plugged up and I'll have to see if I can clean them out. I might just buy a used drum off e-bay. I found one for $70 that I can just use in the rebuild.

There's some gouges on the drums. I'm assuming this is ok as long as they are not part of a sealing surface or a surface something would rotate or touch?

I haven't figured out which bearing the rollers are from. I've looked at the parts explosion diagrams and can't identify a bearing that would match the size of the rollers.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts