The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
3,003 Posts
Looks very dirty. Hope you know you need to have everything spotless when it goes back together. Those small bits of dirt can chew it up good inside.

One the plus side, it looks like you caught it before it could do any major damage. Other than the bushing that appears cracked in the first pic, I don't see anything that screams money. :p

·
3rd Gen Plebeian
1997 Plymouth Grand Voyager Rallye
1,059 Posts
Pretty sure it's not supposed to look like that. I'm not sure exactly which bearing blew up but there's bits of the rollers everywhere.

I did learn one trick. You do not need a slide hammer to get the pump off. Just put two of the bolts from the transmission case in the threaded holes and ratchet them down. It presses right out super easy.

View attachment 62968

Here is another view of the drum with everything pulled out.

View attachment 62969
That's the Underdrive Clutch Piston which is held in by the broken snap ring in the input clutch drum. Double check the hubs that were inside here, they are the splined part I talked about wearing out on 41TEs that didn't get upgraded on the 62TE.

Though, I think you have an issue with the Low Reverse clutch if you had no limp mode, reverse, or low. It is at the very bottom of the transmission case. The gasket is prone to failure on the Low/reverse clutch piston. But, like I said the debris in the pan looks like a failed snap ring.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
That's the Underdrive Clutch Piston which is held in by the broken snap ring in the input clutch drum. Double check the hubs that were inside here, they are the splined part I talked about wearing out on 41TEs that didn't get upgraded on the 62TE.
View attachment 62970
View attachment 62972

Though, I think you have an issue with the Low Reverse clutch if you had no limp mode, reverse, or low. It is at the very bottom of the transmission case. The gasket is prone to failure on the Low/reverse clutch piston. But, like I said the debris in the pan looks like a failed snap ring.
View attachment 62971
I'll double check the splines and snap some pictures when I get home today. I haven't removed the lower yet but plan to tonight. I did not have any forward or reverse motion but, that might have been because there was no pressure. It looks like some of the fluid channels are plugged up and I'll have to see if I can clean them out. I might just buy a used drum off e-bay. I found one for $70 that I can just use in the rebuild.

There's some gouges on the drums. I'm assuming this is ok as long as they are not part of a sealing surface or a surface something would rotate or touch?

I haven't figured out which bearing the rollers are from. I've looked at the parts explosion diagrams and can't identify a bearing that would match the size of the rollers.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Great news!!! Finished the rebuild and the van moves again.

Bad news. :( It shifts horribly.

I started it up and there was an immediate very high pitched whine. I figured it was probably the pump filling up. I turned it off and plugged in the scanner to make sure there was pressure. I restarted it and sure enough I was getting pressure. That's definite progress. So I tried shifting and it kind of clunked in but it was on jack stands and didn't have the tires on. I put the tires on took off the Jack stands and tried to start the relearn but just my luck the scan tool broke so I wasn't able to do the relearn. I tried to drive it anyways and it drives but it takes pushing on the gas a bit before it shifts into first. It felt like it shifted the other gears but I couldn't get the shift select to work. I was able to push up to forth and then tried to down shift. It immediately kicked out of gear select and threw a code. I probably drove it less then a mile all together.

The reverse works fairly well. Not as much gas needed.

The code was an incorrect 3rd gear ratio.

The high pitched whine did go away eventually.

So the question is. Do you all think it just needs a relearn or should I be looking at something else?

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
3,003 Posts
You're probably right about the whine being the empty pump. After the whine stopped, did you check your fluid level again? The whine is caused by air so when it stops that air has been replaced with fluid.

The relearn is absolutely necessary for a rebuild. You will trash the new parts quickly on the learned settings from when it was worn out. Hopefully it's just a little low on fluid and adding that and the relearn will get it sorted.

·
Registered
147 Posts
What did you end up replacing on this unit? Which was the bearing that was crushed?
Did you take pictures of the different steps to look at?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
What did you end up replacing on this unit? Which was the bearing that was crushed?
Did you take pictures of the different steps to look at?
The crushed bearing was the #2 Thrust Bearing in the input drum.

I used a master kit and replaced all of the clutches, steels, seals, pistons in the compounder and o-rings. I also replaced several of the bearings because they came in a pack with the input bearings I needed.

I meant to take pictures to post on the process but, I started slacking and didn't get them all.

I used a few youtube videos and the ATSG guide to get me through it. If you look hard enough you can find the ATSG online or just buy it for I think $50.

<- How to remove the transmission.
<- 62TE Rebuild by curmudgeon. Gives thickness of lock rings
<- 62TE Teardown by Gary Ferraro
<- 62TE Rebuild Part 1 by Gary Ferraro
<- 62TE Rebuild Part 2 by Gary Ferraro
62TE Rebuild Part 3 <- 62TE Rebuild Part 3 by Gary Ferraro
62TE Rebuild part 4 <- 62TE Rebuild Part 4 by Gary Ferraro
62TE Rebuild Part 5 <- 62TE Rebuild Part 5 by Gary Ferraro
62TE Rebuild, Part 6 Final assembly <- 62TE Rebuild Part 6 by Gary Ferraro

·
Registered
147 Posts
Good source for reference... ATSG and Gary Ferraro are well known.

What about solenoid body, TCC solenoid, line pressure sensor and the torque converter? Did you also replace those?
Did you replace any bushings? At front pump and input drum?

As said before, you should do a 'quick relearn' before doing further diagnosis.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Good source for reference... ATSG and Gary Ferraro are well known.

What about solenoid body, TCC solenoid, line pressure sensor and the torque converter? Did you also replace those?
Did you replace any bushings? At front pump and input drum?

As said before, you should do a 'quick relearn' before doing further diagnosis.
I did not replace the bushings as they all felt fairly tight. I also did not replace the solenoid body, or the TCC solenoid.

I forgot to mention the lower drum on the compounder and the piston were also replaced as they came in the rebuild kit.

I also replaced the line pressure sensor (was the first thing I did before the rebuild) and the torque converter.

Update

I tried to do the relearn but, there were several codes that came up.... a lot of codes. Most were transmission related but, looking through them I suspect I have a loose ground. I cleared them and then started it without moving the van. The only codes that came back were TCM lower power and Oil Sensor Circuit Closed.

The two codes:
P06DD - Engine Oikl Pressure Control Circuit Stuck Off
P0882 - TCM Power Input Low

So rather then do the relearn I'm going to track down those issues first and then do the relearn.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
GGRRRRR....

Anyone know how to start a car fire to claim the insurance??

I just spent a good two hours trying to get it to relearn and it refuses. I'm using AlfaOBD and it keeps saying "failed for unspecified reasons". The transmission is to temp and I've cleared the codes. It does occasionally give me a P083B - LC Pressure Switch Rationality test not complete" but, that doesn't make sense as I'm actually getting a pressure reading on the line.

The current state is that it shifts into reverse fairly well. Shifting to first it takes a bit of gas and feels like it lurches a bit. It might be my imagination but, almost like it's hitting reverse for just a second before moving forward. Probably my imagination.

Will the relearn actually fix this? Should I drive it around and see if it shifts into the other gears? Any other ideas on what to try?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
So dug a bit more.

The LC solenoid and pressure switch both ohm out correctly.

I noticed if I read system status in ALFAOBD there's a line that says "Limp in Mode - yes".

I tried to reset the VLP counters and clear the codes again but it still "Limp in Mode - yes".

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
3,003 Posts
Here's the manual excerpt for P038B and all the sections it links to. One of the first things it brings up is a loss of pump prime (P0944), so it may be that the pump seal is leaking. :(

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Here's the manual excerpt for P038B and all the sections it links to. One of the first things it brings up is a loss of pump prime (P0944), so it may be that the pump seal is leaking. :(

This is great thanks.

I do not have a P0944 code so that's good news but the TCC low power came back. The diagnostic steps you posted says to diagnose that first. Do you have the diagnostics for P0882?

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
3,003 Posts
I can get anything. Sometimes finding it is the issue. :p

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
This is turning into a saga.

I went out and started it and low behold... no limp mode and it let me run the quick learn. Awesome. It did shift better, no more slipping in first but I do have to give it gas before it will engage and go. I drove it around and it seemed to shift okish but when I tried to use the auto stick it got pissed and went into limp.

It gave me P083B, P1790, P066D, P0733 and P0868.

I know it doesn't make sense but I figured I would hunt the P0882 code first since that was what I kept getting yesterday. I just have a suspicion this is electrical.

So I spent the day running through all of the wiring to find the P0882 code. Didn't find anything obvious and I checked every wire. I even pulled the PCM out to check continuity between the connectors and nothing. So I put everything back together and set it up on Jack stands so I can spin the tires. I also put a voltmeter on the TCM relay so I could easily see when it went into limp. I did a new quick learn just in case. It did initially jump into limp mode while in park for P083B code. I watched the line pressure and it seemed to always react when I pushed the gas. I got it to stop going into limp and I cycled through the gears with the auto stick. All seemed to work. Every now then it would drop to limp for P083B but it seemed further apart each time. Took it off the jack stands and... shakes like crazy in reverse and takes a good bit of gas to go forward. Plus first slips just a bit.

I gave up for the day and went to look for the matches and some lighter fluid.

Current codes are P083B, P1790, P0868, P0944, and P0833.

Yup P0944 is there.

I'm going to pull the solenoid tomorrow and run through it. May run and get one from the junkyard. I still think this is an electrical problem. Or, I hope it is.

One question that maybe someone can help with. When using AlfaOBD what is the voltage on the pressure sensor when sitting in idle? That could tell me if I really do have pressure problem.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
3,003 Posts
Couldn't find anything on P066D. Sure that's right? I'll check the sensor in the morning if I don't forget.

Attachments

Reactions: beretta96

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Couldn't find anything on P066D. Sure that's right? I'll check the sensor in the morning if I don't forget.
Thanks for these they are a huge help.

It's supposed to be a P06DD. Which is the oil circuit high.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
3,003 Posts
Yeah, that's the "pump code". If your oil is full and you are using a Mopar filter, it means you need an oil pump. Engine, not trans.

Not sure why, but AlfaOBD will not connect to my trans anymore. 🤨 It used to connect and I'm not having issues, so no clue what's going on.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Yeah, that's the "pump code". If your oil is full and you are using a Mopar filter, it means you need an oil pump. Engine, not trans.

Not sure why, but AlfaOBD will not connect to my trans anymore. 🤨 It used to connect and I'm not having issues, so no clue what's going on.

Dumb question but, you are connecting through the "engine" option right?

I've e-mailed the developer and told him there are transmission options missing from the engine module but, he did confirm that because there's a PCM and not an ECM + TCM it will only connect when using Engine. Which kind of sucks because the CVI measurements are missing but, most options like the quicklearn etc are listed under engine.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
3,003 Posts
I was going in through gearbox... maybe that was the issue.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts