The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else done the work themselves? I'm going to be ordering and replacing all the lifters and rockers. I'm just concerned about kicking the timing chain off my lower sprocket. I would add a pic of my shopping list but it wont let me because this is my first post.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
883 Posts
I just replaced the arm that was bad . Had to loosen the cam bearing bolts to lift the cam enough to slide the rocker in and out. I did this last year, luckily it was opposite the chain so I didn't have to disturb the timing gear. Replaced the valve cover gasket as well.
Hank

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm planning on replacing all of them. I do not want to risk having another one go bad. Too easy for this to become catastrophic.

·
Registered
883 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much. Mine was ticking when I bought the van. I waited a month before
I repaired it. The cam lobe had 2 grooves worn into it from the body of the rocker contacting it. The center of the lobe where the roller rolls was still in perfect condition. If another one ticks I will do it then. There is no grantee that one of the new rockers will go bad.or something else. I believe if it works ok best to leave it be. No big risk here.
Hank

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have done 3 separate rocker arms all at different times. After doing it 2 times I could almost do it in my sleep the third time. My only advice for the 4 rockers closest to the sprocket is to leave the bearing cap farthest from the sprocket bolted in, but as loose as possible and just try to wiggle the closest arms out.

All you should need is the rocker arms and the valve cover gaskets, but it's also a good time to replace the spark plugs and intake manifold gaskets since everything will be accessible. Whats your reasoning for replacing the lifters? You could save some coin by skipping those. Honestly you don't really need the manual to do the rocker arms. The forum and YouTube are full of 3.6 Pentastar rocker arm tutorials.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Reason I'mooking at replacing the lifters is due to STAR case S1309000016

I guess I'll not replace those. Would just hate to find one is collapsed. I use my van to commute and live in so I can afford for it to be down more than one day.

·
Registered
440 Posts
For the third time this month... here's a recent thread about how to do it.

I found a set of lifter and rockers for an entire head for $94 on eBay a little over a year ago. Not knock-off stuff either. Current revision Mopar. Seller was "fallsmoparcity".

·
Registered
440 Posts
Reason I'mooking at replacing the lifters is due to STAR case S1309000016

I guess I'll not replace those. Would just hate to find one is collapsed. I use my van to commute and live in so I can afford for it to be down more than one day.
DON'T neglect the lifters. Usually a rocker fails because a lifter wasn't holding good tension on it. If not all of them, at least the one that has the failed rocker.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
DON'T neglect the lifters. Usually a rocker fails because a lifter wasn't holding good tension on it. If not all of them, at least the one that has the failed rocker.
makes 100% sense.

do you know if I should soak th4m in oil for 24 hours? That's what I would so will Harley Lifters when I replaced them at the shop. It was done to preload them with oil since they are hydraulic lifters.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
For the third time this month... here's a recent thread about how to do it.

I found a set of lifter and rockers for an entire head for $94 on eBay a little over a year ago. Not knock-off stuff either. Current revision Mopar. Seller was "fallsmoparcity".
yeah, that was a good thread. Have no fear, I searched the forums before making the post That thread taught me about manually rotating the engine. I dont recall that OP talking about parts, price, or lifters. I think he was more asking about his camshaft having a load on it because he wasnt at tdc.

I believe I'm supposed to be TDC #4 Compression stroke, from my research. Thanks for sharing your ebay find for the third time this month. Very generous.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Sounds like making it more complicated than it is. The lifters and rockers normally will go 300,000 kms. If a rocker goes bad I would replace it, and leave the rest alone. Check the oil cooler adapter, hoses, coolant tees while in there. Fix the broken stuff and don't worry about all the things that could break but are still ok.
Hank

·
Registered
440 Posts
do you know if I should soak th4m in oil for 24 hours? That's what I would so will Harley Lifters when I replaced them at the shop. It was done to preload them with oil since they are hydraulic lifters.
Soaking them in oil is definitely a good idea. 24 hours is overkill. Roll them around and make sure the air gets out of them. If you have stubborn bubbles stuck at the edge of the holes, pop them with a needle or paper clip, but don't ram it in there. Had mine soak while I was taking everything apart and that got them good and soaked. I used a 50/50 5w20 and ATF mix for the soak.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Soaking them in oil is definitely a good idea. 24 hours is overkill. Roll them around and make sure the air gets out of them. If you have stubborn bubbles stuck at the edge of the holes, pop them with a needle or paper clip, but don't ram it in there. Had mine soak while I was taking everything apart and that got them good and soaked. I used a 50/50 5w20 and ATF mix for the soak.
why the ATF??

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
just another kind of oil you can use as assembly lube

ATF is pretty common for this stuff
Oh , I know what ATF is, just curious as to why he mixes it to do his soak. What's the benefit of doing so? I know that ATF is heavy with detergents unlike engine oil.

·
Registered
440 Posts
ATF is thinner than oil and able to penetrate the small cavities easier. Speeds up the process and ensures that the lifter is fully lubed in all its tight spots.

The little bit of detergents won't make a difference in the rest of your 6 qts of oil. :p

1 - 18 of 18 Posts