The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone.

I recently discovered an odd problem with my 2013 Town & Country, where you can start the engine without the key by just pushing the break and inserting your finger into the keyhole.
Here is a quick video I shoot showing the issue

At first I thought it could be a key-less system I wasn't aware of. However I think I disproved this theory when I was able to start the engine and put it into gear with the key quite far away from the vehicle.

I have no check engine light nor error codes stored.
I already tested the battery, tried moving the relays around and checking for blown fuses thinking that probably some circuit stayed closed when it shouldn't.

I tried testing the same method on a friend's 2017 Grand Caravan and it just displays a key error on the dash screen. So I guess that's the intended behavior?

At this point I have zero idea of what might be the cause of the problem and I'm rather concerned by the security and safety issue this might represent.

Have you encountered this problem before?
I this just a weird feature I wasn't aware of?
Or I'm just overthinking it?

Thanks to everyone for your responses.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
3,003 Posts
Sounds like some goof put an aftermarket remote start on that has a key hidden in the dash... completely unnecessary since remote start can be added with 2 minutes of programming and a hood switch.

Look for taped or heat-shrinked wires around the steering column and fuse box. Don't cut anything unless you know what you're doing. You may end up stranding yourself. A good shop should be able to get it out and working right.

Reactions: LEVY

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
14,841 Posts
Can you explain what were you doing when you found this out? I mean, what were you doing inserting your finger in dark places? 😳

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
I think if you have push start and they key is inside close enough to the driver seat to allow it to work, the van would honk and refuse to lock when you tried. Mine does that, anyway. I've had mixed success trying to lock a key in the van. So a key hiding in there somewhere isn't likely

Reactions: Sienile

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
3,003 Posts
Now that you mention it, the anti-lockout would trigger if there was a fob inside. So it must be a push button without the button.

Reactions: LEVY
1 - 7 of 7 Posts