The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Chrysler Town and Country Touring
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all:

I tried putting a 240px by 158px jpg on the hard drive after work today but without success, it wouldn't copy. So I'll try again with another image that doesn't have as many dots per inch and a different USB drive.

I tried a USB drive from work over the weekend and the 430 wouldn't even detect it. Maybe it was formatted FAT32? Doesn't matter, the 430 can see the drive I tried today.

My Android phone is USBC and wouldn't connect via USB to copy my music from.

I'll try updating the UConnect software to see if that helps.

If nothing else I can either copy all my digital music to a CD-ROM or a larger USB drive. Or charge my old Android phone and copy my music using it.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
I copied mp3s from my phone to the radio hard drive some time back. I think I had the manual in hand and followed the directions in there. Something about it wasn't real clear, but I don't remember what.

·
Registered
2009 GCV SE
133 Posts
Hi all:

I tried putting a 240px by 158px jpg on the hard drive after work today but without success, it wouldn't copy. So I'll try again with another image that doesn't have as many dots per inch and a different USB drive.

I tried a USB drive from work over the weekend and the 430 wouldn't even detect it. Maybe it was formatted FAT32? Doesn't matter, the 430 can see the drive I tried today.

My Android phone is USBC and wouldn't connect via USB to copy my music from.

I'll try updating the UConnect software to see if that helps.

If nothing else I can either copy all my digital music to a CD-ROM or a larger USB drive. Or charge my old Android phone and copy my music using it.
I don't think it's the software that's the issue, I would double check the U-connect manual they give you, in there it talks about everything the U-connect system can do, I don't have a manual as my van didn't come with it and it also doesn't have the U-connect feature... For now... :) I had the base AM/FM radio and I got a REZ? Which I swapped for the radio I had, and since I didn't have the multimedia manual, I have no clue how to add music to it, or how to upload some photos to it, but hopefully I'll be able to find a copy at the auto wrecker yard.
-I also checked around and I'm having a hard time finding a way to update the software, the U-connect site that I had a link for no longer exists, I don't even know if it's worth updating, about the only thing I'd want fixed what the awful static filtering system which is basically non existent, but no issues otherwise

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The site's here: https://www.driveuconnect.com

I don't have a paper manual, just the PDF. I've created my jpg to upload but it was a file I'd had to convert in Gimp, and it may be that the 430 didn't like the file, so I recreated the file from scratch as a jpg and used Gimp to resize the file and crop it down to the recommended size.

The 430 didn't recognize the USB drive from work, but did recognize my 32GB USB drive. I'll have a chance to try again tonight after work.

I printed the instructions on how to update the software on the 430 and will do so if it's needed.

I might have to buy a large capacity USB drive to copy my music from to put on the hard drive in the 430.

As a question is the hard drive in the 430 mechanical (Spinning media) or is it SSD (Solid State Drive)? I hope it's solid state.

·
Registered
37 Posts
On the surface it would seem like copying music to the internal HDD (it is old tech IDE) is a good idea. However it takes far too long to copy files, so just do not copy files. The solution is just to put a 32gb usb stick in the socket in glove box and play it right from the stick, there is no need to copy anything.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's a thought too. I had considered it though I've read you won't get any metadata using that port.

I watched a video about the 430 and yeah, copying music or photos to the hard drive is a pretty slow process.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
IDE? Who still uses IDE? How old is the design on the 430 infotainment system?

·
Registered
37 Posts
The MyGIG radio was introduced back in 2007 with the Jeep Wrangler, yes dinosaurs still do roam the earth.
It is amazing that they still put this crap in new Dodge Caravans.

The metadata will be displayed from USB, only if it is in the correct format and your firmware has at some point been updated.
Cover art must be imbedded in the MP3 and of the correct very low resolution. (seperate files like Folder or Art are just ignored).

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm not worried about cover art. I have Logitech music players in my house, some of my music has cover art, some does not. Not a concern either way.

The screen refresh rate on the MyGIG radios could be better but mine seems to work well enough otherwise. We'll see if mine needs an update, I plan to check it after work today.

My Town and Country is 27 years newer than my next newest van. It's great to finally own something built this century.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow, the 430 is very picky about USB drives. I do need to update the software on my 430 but it can't read the thumb drive I put it on. So far out of three USB drives I've tried, the 430 has only been able to read one of them. The one it can read I don't want to delete files from.

So when I was at Walmart buying bird food I snagged two different brands of 16GB thumb drives and put the UConnect update on both of them and I'll take both out to the van after work to try to update from. Over all I like the 430 but it's inability to read most USB drives is frustrating. I'm very tech savvy, so I can work around these problems, but I know folks who would be totally stuck at this point. Then again those people I know who aren't tech savvy would likely not try to update the 430 software in the first place. :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
My 2013 T&C has a 730N model and I have never have an issue reading any brand or size USB drives, provided they are FAT32...

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good news. I've updated the radio! The radio had no trouble reading either of the USB drives I bought at Walmart last night. Yay!

I'm still trying to put a jpeg on the hard drive with no luck but I'll keep at it.

I think I'll copy my music on each of the 16GB drives I bought and copy it to the drive tomorrow.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was wondering. Does UConnect have an online change log for these system updates? I'd like to know what changes the update made to my 430.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts