The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the 2nd row passenger window (sliding door) goes down about halfway all by itself. I can put it back up with drivers button but it will again go down by itself several minutes later. It has done this while driving and with vehicle stopped with engine off as well.

Could it be a bad switch in driver's door? This is my Dad's van-garage kept, low miles, pristine condition.
I will check Fob, although I cannot control windows with it.
I'll also check the sliding door's window switch and Vehicle Battery condition.

Sounds like a computer control system issue, I know my Subaru has a box under dash that basically controls all electronic systems(windows, door locks etc.)

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
What year? Does power down, or do more of a drop?

·
Super Moderator
27,249 Posts
You have a passenger riding with you that you don't see. Is there a flying saucer parked nearby? :)

Electrical glitch somewhere. What about your lock out feature, will it work to disable the switch and stop the problem? If so, the switch at the window is a likely culprit.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You have a passenger riding with you that you don't see. Is there a flying saucer parked nearby? :)

Electrical glitch somewhere. What about your lock out feature, will it work to disable the switch and stop the problem? If so, the switch at the window is a likely culprit.
I'll try the lock out procedure, thanks.

Motor is getting power from somewhere...I will isolate each possible electrical path one by one. I was hoping someone else has gone through this and save me a bit of time.

Or it is simply a Ghost...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
UPDATE: So I pulled key fob apart(to check battery voltage-3.01 volts), and found a dislodged surface mount resistor within the fob which came from the panic button area on the circuit board. I also found a damaged but still connected surface mount capacitor on the other side of panic button. It is very possible the resistor could have shorted leads of the IC or something else on circuit board and confused the BCM. Don't know, but I will be repairing the fob as this is what I do for a living. Meanwhile I have locked out the passenger windows and I will check vehicle battery voltage shortly. Just wanted to keep thread alive and keep you guys updated.

I can offer this additional info on Chrysler fobs...I have an SRT8 Challenger and both fobs have dislodged SMD components, either from the factory or as a result of battery changes, and they both work fine. I didn't repair them, but will try the vans fob just to see what happens.
More later...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
update 7/29/21

So I pulled window switch from sliding window and checked electrical operation and compared to Driver's side window switch. Both were working correctly and tested identically. So I actually switched right and left switches because although they tested fine...these switches have circuit boards inside them so perhaps when power is applied to them they could still act strange.

Window still goes down by itself. I then pulled switch out of circuit, window still goes down.
SO...the lock out button is the only thing that seems to prevent this window going down on its own.

My conclusion at this time is the BCM is at fault as the BCM pretty much controls all locks and windows on the vehicle. Changing one of these is involved. I believe the ignition switch, FOB receiver, FOBS all need to be "programmed" to work together. This might require a dealer tool. I am not willing to do this at this time.
Funny thing is, my dad told me that these problems started AFTER the recall on vent window switches was completed. It is very possible the BCM got corrupted during that work. Just my opinion.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts