The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I went out this morning and my van would not start. No turning over...nothing. There is a small red dot flashing on the dash. The engine light is also on, I have a code reader but it keep getting a message it cannot connect to car. Any ideas on where to begin, I don't think it related but I put a new alternator in it a month or so ago, but it's been working fine sense. Could it be a PCM ?? thanks

·
Super Moderator
23,268 Posts
How old and abused is your battery? Lights on doesn't mean enough voltage to turn the starter.
Fully charged automotive batteries should measure at 12.6 volts or above. When the engine is running, this measurement should be 13.7 to 14.7 volts.
Do the key dance to get your codes, sounds like your code reader isn't working properly.

Security systems can mess things up and are a common problem for a no start situation out of the blue.

Don't assume the worse, like the PCM!

·
Registered
499 Posts
The scanner not reading may be due to a CAN data error.

Do the battery lobotomy trick (after you attempt to get codes with the key dance method). What that is is just taking one of the battery terminals off the battery and touching it to the other for a few seconds.

This drains residual voltage and resets many of the computers and may resolve your issue. But try to pull the codes first, because this will erase them and they might actually give you some insight on your problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. The battery is fine. It is some kind of security issue. I did get it running then it shut off on me while driving.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Security issues should not cause it to cut off while driving. Either it won't crank or will crank and instantly die if it's a security issue.

Are you able to read codes now?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I found the problem. The TIPM failed, it was corroded. Now I just have to figure out how to get a new one. Doesn't look to difficult to replace.

·
Super Moderator
23,268 Posts
I found the problem. The TIPM failed, it was corroded. Now I just have to figure out how to get a new one. Doesn't look to difficult to replace.

Save all your old fuses and relays.

·
Registered
499 Posts
It's super simple to replace. Sometimes the hinge-lock connectors will stick in their full down position. If that happens, fold the lock down until you feel resistance and then gently pry between the connector and the TIPM. Shouldn't take much pressure to make it release and then you can work the lock as normal.

·
Super Moderator
23,268 Posts
For what?

How many fuses or relays you use per year?

JUST KIDDING
Have to have spare parts, might need one tomorrow. It's like nuts and bolts. I have a stash that will never be used except for that one time when I may need a couple.

I had one relay fail in 15 years with the 2002 GC. That's frequent enough. :) A guy at the Mopar Parts Counter gave me a handful from an old PCM. He was saving them for some reason, to give away to good customers, I guess.

Let;s be honest. You have a bunch of old stuff around your property that you will not likely use again. How about that DeLorean and its relays and fuses? :)

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
11,014 Posts
Have to have spare parts, might need one tomorrow. It's like nuts and bolts. I have a stash that will never be used except for that one time when I may need a couple.

I had one relay fail in 15 years with the 2002 GC. That's frequent enough. :) A guy at the Mopar Parts Counter gave me a handful from an old PCM. He was saving them for some reason, to give away to good customers, I guess.

Let;s be honest. You have a bunch of old stuff around your property that you will not likely use again. How about that DeLorean and its relays and fuses? :)
Can't you read?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the replies. The dealer wants $1300 for a new TIPM. You see them on ebay and such for a few hundred. If I get the same part number etc. do I have to get it programmed? Or where is the best place to get a new one. Thanks again for all the responses.

·
Super Moderator
23,268 Posts
Thanks for the replies. The dealer wants $1300 for a new TIPM. You see them on ebay and such for a few hundred. If I get the same part number etc. do I have to get it programmed? Or where is the best place to get a new one. Thanks again for all the responses.
Take a look here: New TIPM

1 - 13 of 13 Posts